Jay Toia commits to UCLA

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 8, 2021.

1. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 10, 2021
    WTF is a "handler"? An agent?

Family decision? OK, then they could have easily made it for ucla in the first place.

Moose4usc and AMLTrojan like this.
  2. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Depends on if they hire a better coach then us after we fire Helton this or next year.

3. FightOn4Eva

FightOn4Eva Points Member

Jun 10, 2021
    After the spring game I had lunch with my nephew Ano. He told us that this was going to happen and that Trembly was also entering the TP. I never posted it because you don’t really know for sure. He said that he thinks Johnny UGLY is involved. He also mentioned IE would possibly end up there. His grades are so horrible that no other school would take him but J-UGLY might be able to pull some strings. He said it wouldn’t surprise him.

4. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    What will they care? The money is already in the bank.

5. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jun 10, 2021
    What if Johnny Nansen gets fired? How stupid will this handler feel

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Money has already changed hands. Deal done!

Moose4usc and gubo&palanka like this.
  7. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    “Did the check clear?”

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Keep in mind Chippy has already had one show cause for money changing hands. Just saying.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. TheTrojanKnight

TheTrojanKnight Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Smh got our very own Benedict Arnold over here

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Double-team him and run the ball right up his azz about 10 times in a row.

So we waste 2 possessions....we’ve done worse.

I’m sure we’ll throw it 10 times in a row to balance our offense out later, lol.

11. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    It makes perfect sense if you know anything about Polynesian culture. As I said Nansen, also Samoan has some kind of family ties to the handler. But, that’s where it gets murky.

Samoans have a bit different definition of family, that I kind of understand but not fully. My niece’s husband is Samoan who says he is related to both the Polamalu family and Junior Seau’s family. But I’m not 100% certain it’s by blood. I know Troy stays in his families home when he is visiting, instead of his direct family. But in Samoa, if you’re from the same village you can also be considered family.

12. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    Name Toia = Maori, New Zealand, Polynesian (Is Not Samoan). Polynesians: Maori, Samoan, Tongans, Fijian, Tahitians, Hawaiian. These 6 main groups of Polynesians are very different in culture, language, last names, etc. They look different, facial, general physical features.

Most Polynesians have been greatly influenced by English and European culture, Christianity, Mormon. But, they have a strong bond to their indigenous, native ethnic culture, language and religion (Gods).

Living in Hawaii for 13 years, learned the various Polynesians groups and culture. Family ties (Uncle, Auntie, Cousin) for Polynesians can be by blood, or calabash relative (non blood) & also by village roots. Thus, family for Polynesians is very broad relations.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  13. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    I never said Toia is Samoan. There are also a lot of Samoans in New Zealand, but Jay Toia is actually Tongan.
    Him and his brother both grew up in the Virgin Islands

Sidenote. I grew up with a kid named Johnny Toia, who was 100% Italian. As in, he was born in Italy and came to OC as a baby.

14. Torch901

Torch901 Points Member

Jun 11, 2021
    Better idea -- we need to go steal a couple of Ruin recruits and send a message that two can play this game. Not that we would ever play these 2nd rate losers in an actual game, but we could certainly use them as tackling dummies during practice.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    Bruddah Blem, I interpreted your posts to Toia, you used the word Samoan several times: "Nansen is also Samoan, the tread was about Toia and you kept referring the Samoan family & culture, etc." If I read wrong, Sorry about that Brah. My intention was not to make you look bad (not my style) but a simple correction.

Re-read your post again. OK, just for clarification, who were you referring to as Samoan in your posts?

I'm pretty certain, name Toia is Maori-New Zealand. Each Polynesian group last names differs in spelling and meaning. Living in Hawaii, I learned Polynesian names, able to relate it to their Polynesian group + developed how to recognized their physical features and look. Just like how I learned how to recognized the differences between Japanese, Chinese (northern vs southern), Koreans.

Side note: For centuries the Tongans and Samoans were mortal enemies and hated one another caused by war. When, the Europeans arrived with their Christian teachings helped mend the two groups. Presently, their governments are peaceful. But, I think, people still carry some hatred. I remember my Samoan friends telling me that they hated Tongans. I've seen street fights between the two groups.

Historically, what I learned, the most feared Polynesian warriors were the Fijians...

16. BlackLeftLeft

BlackLeftLeft Active Member

Jun 11, 2021
    This kid will be old news soon. You don't want players that don't want to be here. Who cares what his motivations were, if he got paid, if he's Tongan or Samoan, etc. He's going to a mess of a program and quite frankly if we had recruited better on the DL we wouldn't even be talking about the kid.

On a side note, the sad thing about us and UCLA is that despite how pitiful they've been, they had 25 players on NFL rosters on 2020 while we had 23. They're putting more guys in the league than us. This doesn't get brought up enough when discussing the consequences we're feeling from allowing the Helton era to continue so long.

17. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    When C.Nansen coached here, no matter what position it was, he stunk it up good. Man, can't believe he is UCLA's DL coach. What's up with HC Kelly in that move? Can't imagine Toia learning and developing under C.Nansen...

To his credit, C.Nansen is a pretty good recruiter, especially with the Poly boys.

18. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    I was under the impression that Fijians were Melanesian and not Polynesian.