Jay Toia commits to UCLA

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 8, 2021.

1. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Jun 9, 2021
    C) All of the above.

2. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jun 9, 2021
    SC CAN NOT LET THIS GO UNCHALLENGED, they must make life miserable for this kid to deter future COPY-CATS.
    Passing on a private education with worldwide tentacles for after graduation, for auditorium size classes with professor assistants. Something wrong with this picture.

As a lover of Humanity I hope all works out well for the kid in the end,,, but this has trouble written all over it.

oldtrojan93 likes this.
  3. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jun 9, 2021
    lol, classic, Trojan sponsors to boot!

4. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jun 9, 2021
    A couple of things about this situation. Jay Toia did not want to leave USC.
    There is a “handler“ involved. Apparently the “Handler” is either close to, or is a relative of Johnny Nansen.
    Toia has even said, “ I don’t want to leave, but it’s not my decision. I’m paraphrasing but that’s the gist of it.

909trojan and The Lizard King like this.
  5. USCFourLife

USCFourLife Points Member

Jun 9, 2021
    I did not state Chipster is a good coach. In fact Chipster only had success with Bellotti’s players ,assistant coaches and the program Bellotti built. Chipster has failed since he left Whoregon. I do not believe we will go 5-7 but my question for you is 8-4 a successful season for USC football? If so we maintain the current course. But for me and many others, USC should be 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2 year in and year out. On occasion I would accept a 9-3 team when the team is young or has numerous injuries.

Currently the USC football program is a mess/dumpster fire and this occurred under Claydos leadership watch. Claydo is a horrible head coach, person and is the consummate politician (i.e giving the game balls to Coach Folt and Coach Bohnerino after the FUCLA game when it should have gone to Slovis). It will be interesting to see our running game this year after losing 2 offensive lineman to the NFL draft (first rounders) . If this o scheme could not run with Jackson and AVT how are they going to run with what is remaining? In fact what are the odds Slovis does not get injured this year? The 2 seasons Slovis has been here……ended with an injury.

As a side note I have enjoyed USC football and attended many awesome games through the years like John Mazur pulling out a last minute win, Marcus on his run for the rushing record in the year he won the heisman and more recently the Pete years.
    I canceled my season tickets in 2018 after 42 years because of Claydo and the increased price to maintain our seats. At this point Claydo is causing long term damage to the
    program.

In closing I wonder why it took this long for one of th 14 fired assistant coaches to get their revenge on Claydo.

I will always say Fight On!!!!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  6. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Jun 9, 2021
    Link?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jun 9, 2021
    Time for our new Commissioner to show everyone what he’s made of and stop this kind of stuff by initiating an investigation.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    What, my word means nothing now?
    I was told this privately, but this is a direct quote he made a few days after I was told this.

According to Toia, “There was nothing that really made me want to go. This was a family decision, and I have to respect that. However, I have enjoyed and loved my time at USC. There is no ill will towards anyone over there or program, and love all the coaches and my teammates. However, this was a family decision, and I have to honor what my parents and family think.”

CrownoftheValley, 909trojan and Cyrus like this.
  9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Be careful what you wish for. Johnny Nansen was here a lot longer than he's been at UGLY. There is definitely a case to be made, but whether USC pursues it is a whole different ballgame.

10. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    That quote makes no sense. Has anyone heard of an Alabama player being arm-twisted to transfer to Auburn? An Ohio State player's family unable to come to grips that he's a Buckeye and not a Wolverine? Everything coming out of this kid's mouth screams that shenanigans are happening in the background.

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    I guess this is good for the rivalry at least.

Just when I was thinking I was out and wondering why was I so anti-UCLA, they pull me back in. This is exactly why we hate those MFers. Jay/family: just foolish to fall for their crap.

We need to take a hard look at the rule changes that allow something like this after a commitment is made and before a down is played.

gubo&palanka and Cyrus like this.
  12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    In context of Poly culture, I think it makes a lot of sense. Sorta like the entire Tagovailoa family moving from Hawaii to Tuscaloosa.

Look at his visit to Michigan. He likely only bothered because of Shaun Nua who is also Samoan.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    I think they already do

14. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    BlemBlam has always brought some real good information over the years and his take and perspective may be something to consider. There's definitely something odd about Toia leaving and most agree it wasn't playing time, teammates, or having grown up wanting to be a Trojan. As for Nansen and an investigation, if he does have shady dealings then we may have known of a few while he was here or are afraid he'll say he committed some while at USC. Folt & Co. may just rather lose a Football player then risk getting exposed to negative press.

CrownoftheValley and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  15. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    He would have zero credibility trying to take down SC. The investigation would be about Toia. This is the first suspected tampering case under the new rules and should be treated as a specific indictment. Nansen doesn't want a show cause, when he could get a slap on the wrist. UCLA should be nailed with a scholarship reduction and Toia should be ineligible.

16. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Should and could. Remember Scam Newton. Our sanctions vs what Auburn received. If he gets hit with more than a slap on the wrist he may spill the beans. It's all hypothetical. There may not be a single thing to report. It's like playing. Russian Roulette with NCAA. Personally I would want to deter all these players from pulling this crap and fining and punishing all coaches and schools that tamper. Unfortunately the NCAA doesn't do things fairly and equally. Unless we are 100% certain we are 100% clean then unfortunately this may be a casualty. Again just a possibility I'm not saying this is what happened.

17. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Jun 10, 2021
    I wonder what his family is going to think in the next year or two when Chip and Nansen get the axe from Westwood???