Jaxson Dart named Gatorade Player of the Year

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, May 26, 2021.

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    May 26, 2021
    The video at the bottom offers a look at some of his play this spring. That throw on a rollout into the back of the endzone past/through three defenders was special. The video doesn't show the catch, but it was put in a window that didn't appear to exist.

SC93er and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

May 26, 2021
    Yeah, and we all know what happened to the last Gatorade POY with SC!

4. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

May 26, 2021
    Oh no . . . the curse of Max Browne!

Give it back Jaxson! Climb to the top of the mountain and throw it into the volcano, then get off the island as quick as possible.

5. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 26, 2021
    Congrats Jaxson, now Clay2 work your magic so both he and Kedon can have an injury free season!
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka and Ridge Rider like this.
  6. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

May 26, 2021
    This kid is neither Max Browne or JT Daniels, he's better and will be the next great QB at USC IMHP.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 26, 2021
    Kid has huge legs already. Solid.

Canyon and Troy70 like this.
  8. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 26, 2021
    Hope so. Will be nice to have a QB again that pro scouts are slobbering over.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

May 26, 2021
    I expect he will be better than some of our 5 star recruits like Max Browne, Ricky Town and JT Daniels. Hopefully he will be a better version of Sam Darnold. If so he may save Helton’s job.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 26, 2021
    Not another savior, please . Lol

PickSicx, Canyon and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    May 26, 2021
    What I really like about Dart (and the Darnold comparison) compared to those other guys is that Dart was ascending at the end of his high school career. Just because a kid is really good early on doesn’t always mean he’s peaked (some kids can get better and better through college), but I like that Dart seemed to really come into his own last year and is continuing to improve. Sometimes when a QB gets really early attention, they’ve just matured faster than other guys and they can plateau as seniors but it doesn’t matter because they’ve already established themselves as the guy.

12. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

May 27, 2021
    Ya. He's starting for the preseason 4th ranked team in the Nation and one of the early favorites to win a NC.
    College football rankings: Preseason Top 25 for the 2021 season | NCAA.com

He's also has 6/1 odd's to win the 2021 Heisman Trophy. Slovis is sitting at 10/1. In almost every early betting site I've seen they have JT with better odds to win it than Slovis. Which is remarkable considering Slovis plays in the weak Pac 12 and gets to chuck the ball 5o times a game. JT will have to put up his numbers in the best conference in football, that's a major disadvantage. Slovis has to play for Clay Helton so that's a wash I guess. I wonder if they factored this into his Heisman Odd's Clay -300.

Heisman Odds by Player for the 2021-2022 College Football Season (fanduel.com)

2021 College Football Heisman Trophy Odds | Who Will Win the Heisman Odds (vegasinsider.com)

Kicking off 2021:

Week 1
    JT Daniels and Georgia will play in front of a National TV audience #2 Clemson vs #4 Georgia on National TV channel 7

Georgia-Clemson kickoff set for 7:30pm on ABC (sicemdawgs.com)

Week 1
    Kedon Slovis and the USC Trojans vs San Jose on the Pac 12 Network. Haha. That should get big ratings.

How about some past history. Since you implied JT Daniels was a scrub. Jt is 4-0 by the way at Georgia.

Georgia vs. Cincinnati - Game Recap - January 1, 2021 - ESPN

#9 Georgia 8-2 beat then Undefeated #8 Cincinnati 9-0

Jt Daniels was 26/38 393 yards 1 td 1 Int. and lead a game winning drive. (win)

Pac 12 Championship game:
    USC 5-0 vs unranked Oregon 3-3

Slovis 28/52 320 2 Td's 3 Int's (loss)

We don't even know what would've happened in a Bowl Game because Helton didn't have the [email protected] to even show up and lock horn's with anyone other than the scrubs in the Pac 12. The mighty San Jose Spartans are more his speed.

Id say JT is living up to the hype of being the Gatorade HS player of the year. He's in a better spot on a better team. So is Matt Coral who has similar Heisman odds as Slovis @ Ol Miss. I'd love to see an Ol Miss vs USC game. Ol Miss came the closest to beating Alabama last year.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Troy70 and Canyon like this.
  13. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

May 27, 2021
    And you know that . . . how? How soon we forget the unbelievably optimistic reports of how Max Browne would make Trojan fans say, "Carson who?" He was going to rewrite the record books. By the time he was done, he'd be a national sports legend -- known just by one name . . . THE Max to rule all other Max's . . . one name, bigger than Cher, Chewbacca and Bono all rolled up into one.

Well, that pretty much turned out to be a big wet fart.

Why don't we let Jaxson figure out how to find his Intro to Communications class and learn the playbook before we dub him the "next" anything.

Troy70 likes this.
  14. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 27, 2021
    Pretty dam good summation!
    Fight On!

DADMoyock likes this.
  15. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

May 28, 2021
    [​IMG]

16. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

May 28, 2021
    Well said Erik and my sentiments exactly. Example: When I played Basketball in HS, there were kids 5'8"- 5'9" tall, that in college became 6'3" - 6'4" and developed into really good college players. For me, I played college ball, but physically matured in HS. Some are just late bloomeers.

17. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

May 28, 2021
    Congrats to Jaxson, not surprise one bit, this award is well deserved. Dart is a special player and QB. Dang, do not know how we got him, but glad he picked USC. Can't wait to see him running the O and do his thing. After reading several poster's comments, I do not understand why some have reservations and are doubting his talents? The experts list him as a Pro style QB, nah, Jaxson is a dual threat QB (like Darnold and Peete).

Now, Helton and Harrell must build a complete O (top OL, running game) to support our QB's. The passing game is set (top WR & TE, speed and good size).

As for comparing JT Daniels vs. Kendon Solvis both are Xlent QB's. Big difference, JT is playing for a much superior team, UGA vs. Solvis-USC. JT has the greater advantage for success and national prominence. I'm a big fan of both QB's. They have a Golden Arm (all the throws and A+ accuracy). I think and feel JT will have a Great season, in contention for the Heisman, and lead UGA win the SEC & possibly the NC. As for Solvis, I think he will have mucho passing stats, win the PAC 12, enter the NFL draft. Both should get drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  18. Trojanmack909

Trojanmack909 Junior Member

May 28, 2021
    Agreed. I believe Dart will have #1 overall pick potential

19. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

May 31, 2021
    Impressive list. Like anything. Just being on the list does not guarantee anything. A few of these guys went on to have a great career and get drafted.
    Tate Martel and Erik Gilbert have gotten sidetracked by transfer portal issues. Max Browne had 1 fair season after transferring then injuries and retirement.

Being on the list is an honor but some guys peak in HS and the college game stifles them. You should never take away from their accomplishment but you should never assume it will carry over to the next level. Congratulations Mr. Dart.