Jake Garcia now trending to SC

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by TrojanInSF, Sep 23, 2019.

2. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Refresh my memory

3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 23, 2019
    Jake Garcia is a 2021 quarterback, so it's not exactly a 1-for-1 in terms of not getting Bryce and getting Garcia. That being said, it was going to be difficult to get one of those top couple 2021 guys (Garcia, Miller Moss) if Young comes to USC in the 2020 class.

4. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    It strikes me more and more that QB recruiting is a very delicate balance. A highly rated one is likely to be looking for a more clear path to playing time. IF they want to maximize their chances they are likely to look for a top program that does not have a highly rated freshman when they commit. It's common sense on their part and could lead to an every other year phenomenon.

gubo&palanka and LDIABootney like this.
  5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 23, 2019
    It's also getting to the point where you might be more likely to start a quarterback who doesn't sign with you out of high school than one who does.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Full disclosure as I am a fellow Gaucho, but I would love to have Jake at SC. Have seen a few games in person. He's got a damn good arm. Short throws, deep throws, and is fairly mobile. I think he's a good fit for Harrells offense.

7. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    100%, it's a real chess match nowadays.

In fairness, I can't blame Bryce at all for his decision. He's probably the odds on favorite to start at Bama next year, which is not the case at SC.

If I had a son, and he was making the same decision, I would tell him Roll Tide.

8. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    A lot of people would. I'm not one of them. The words "Roll Tide" will never leave my mouth. Joining a team that will probably win a national championship with or without you doesn't take any guts or character. If you're great you'll make it to the NFL anyway. And do you really want your kid to be a Bama fan his entire life? Hard pass. I'd tell him to go somewhere interesting with a good academic reputation, and hopefully he'd find a school like that with decent coaches.

9. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Also, when's the last time you heard a Bama QB do well in the NFL, let alone start? not a place i would go. Looking to do well in the NFL or again start. Unless its all about the cfb rings. Because that's all you'll get unless you're a skill position player for Bama or a defensive player.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  10. LucGomez40

LucGomez40 Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Also saw him live and was impressed. Very athletic and impressive arm.

11. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Their history isn't the best, but Tua is likely to be the #1 pick this year. And Bryce is very much in the same mold, unlike McCarron, Sims, Coker, McElroy, etc.

And while Bama may not have a great track record with QBs, Sark certainly does.

12. FightOn4Eva

FightOn4Eva Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    That once drunk is working his sober ass off. Sark is one of my favorite guys and if he was still on our staff, I would assume he would recruit the same way. Sorry just thought he (Bryce) would wait and let the season play out. Once I saw that he is a December enrollee , that was the huckleberry.

I remember when we were doing pretty well recruiting was in our benefit.

We can only get them (recruits) by winning. Best of luck to BY.

✌️

13. 1diehardSCFan

1diehardSCFan Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Well, Kenny Stabler was a pretty good NFL QB... and that was as recently as the mid 60's!

earlandnic and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  14. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Has anyone here actually seen him play and can evaluate his attributes and strengths? I understand that he has a real stable of wide receivers around him. Please tell me that he has some mobility.

15. SC Forever

SC Forever Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Fight On. Hopefully, he sticks even if Clay Helton won't be here in 2020.

16. dogfan96

dogfan96 Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I have my doubts about Tua. Great college player. But he won’t be throwing to wide open guys in the NFL and he didn’t look great against Georgia or Clemson last year. Teams with high NFL caliber talent.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  17. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Broadway Joe....

KiwiSCfan likes this.
  18. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    There’s one constant with Nicholas. He will win in Coll Football, but thats were it ends
    Getting skill position players to the NFL.

Amari Cooper, Julio Jones ate the only ones that are true big time players in the NFL.
    Let’s go through the list of so called great Al players....

Henry..... a so-So back who barely last year at the end of the season did positive things.
    He’s not a too NFL RB that’s for sure.

Ingram....if he was a solid RB he’d still be in New Orleans.
    Richardson...oh yes, many forgot him already.
    Fat Eddy.......not fair to fat Eddy he’s nit a Nicholas recruit, but he’s a bama dude so let’s roll with it. In fact it gets a bit worse fro bama since a few in the list are also not Nicholas kids.

I have to go back to Shaun Alexander to see a great bama back.
    All this in regards to people claiming Nicholas just dishes out talent to the next level.

I just focused on the skilled players.
    Won’t even mention QB because there even Wyoming produced an NFL starting QB.

Josh Jacobs appears to have some interesting features to his game as he already in his short time in the league has shown more than any of the before mentioned players.

My point: Nicholas wins in Coll football, but doesn’t produce top talent at ten skilled positions.