Jack Del Rio

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Gold Trojan, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Jack Del Rio
    Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    is he interested in coaching at USC. It would be nice to get a defense first guy back in the saddle.

2. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    2mgdor.jpg
    Let me ask Mr. BILL.

3. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    If Del Rio didn't play football for SC, would you even be thinking about him right now?

I notice that SC people never seem to mention guys like Rex Ryan, Gus Bradley, Mike McCoy, Chuck Pagano, Mike Pettine, Ken Whisenhunt, Ken Philbin, etc., but Del Rio's name always comes up.

Does anyone think that Ohio State or Alabama or Notre Dame would consider Del Rio for a nanosecond if one of them had a head coach opening?

4. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Is it necessary to start another one?

travyav likes this.
  5. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    I thought he did a pretty good job in Jacksonville and in Oakland.

How many would have jumped at ‘Chuckie’ coming to SC?

6. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Are you kidding? When everybody, including Chuckie, was putting his name out there as a possible successor to Pete in 2010, the hue and cry among SC fans was to take up a collection to make him the highest paid coach in the history of sports!

7. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Yes.

But the fact that he's a former player is a bonus to me because it means that he's more than likely going to be much more passionate about the job than Kiffin/Sark/Helton ever were. I envision him working his butt off in order to get this team back to a hard-nosed, tough, physical football team again.

USC football used to be that we line up our 11 guys against your 11 guys, and we will beat the crap out of you (within the rules, of course) for four long quarters. On offense, we put the QB under center and run between the tackles and we run sweeps with big, mean, road-grading offensive linemen leading fast running backs. We take passing shots downfield, of course too, but we use the wide receivers, tight ends, and the running backs on high-percentage plays. On defense, we throw your lineman around like rag dolls, get to the quarterback, and gang tackle so often that the tackled opposing player gives up in the 4th quarter and doesn't want the ball any more.

At least that's how I remember USC football being played as recently as 10 years ago. It was also played that way when Del Rio was a player at USC.

Ventura Trojan likes this.
  8. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    No one thing ails USC more than the relentless and totally irrational nostalgia for the return of 1970s football.

It was great man. But it's time to get over it. We're coming up on 2019 -- a year away from the third decade of the 21st Century.

9. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Gang tackling....I remember that from years back. The only “gang” anything we’ve been doing lately is “gangbanging”. Thank you osa masina and don hill.

The Lizard King likes this.