It's July and it's time to stop and time to go...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by SC200SC, Jul 6, 2019.

1. It's July and it's time to stop and time to go...
    SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    With less than 2 months to go before USC takes the field, the BS needs to stop...
    Virtually every thread contains disrespect, Helton hate, Swann hate, doom and gloom, and so on. Just like it is hurting WeAreSC, it has the potential to hurt the team. The players and their families are not isolated from this constant drivel.
    These posts remind me of a Lab with a rawhide bone, knaw, knaw, and ad nauseam. Sure, some of them are probably written by Bruin trolls, maybe even a Domer troll or two? But most of them are probably Trojans "fans" who would rather see the team fail than Helton succeed.
    News flash - The coaching staff is set, the team has a new offense, and the players have a new attitude. EVERY SINGLE area of weakness from last season has been addressed. If you cannot accept the fact that Helton and staff are driving hard to make 2019 awesome, then it is time for you to go, not them.
    When I saw St. Brown and (I think it was) Vaughns emerge from the rainy winter time looking like junior Mr. Universes, I suspected something special might be brewing. It has only gotten better;

Our QB will not be a 17 year old Freshman or a red shirt Freshman. Our 2019 Freshman phenom QB is fourth string where guys like him belong in their first year.
    Did you see Carr get smacked HARD in the Spring game. When he got up and shook it off you could almost read his thoughts as if they were posted on the Jumbo Tron; "Wow, that was a hit, BUT it didn't hurt , my back is good (after surgery), I am good, no I am real good". Oh yeah, SC has two othe RBs just as good as Carr.
    Do we need to even discuss the WRs?
    Oh, but the line sucked last year. Well, IMHO the line starts at the Center position, and yes Toa was no Center, BUT Brett Neilon is, and that kid is on a tear to prove it. He is also on a tear because he has a pretty good true Center behind him. Also, Doom and Gloomers, Drevno is the 2019 OL Coach, not Calloway. There is no need to hope things will improve along the line, you can take it to the bank.
    STs are going to be flat out fun. Baxter doesn't have to worry about the TEs in 2019. He has three very good place kickers, a good long snapper, and he has a punter that SC wants to limit film on because he can do things with a football that are apparently unnatural. I have heard that besides being able to place the ball in a thimble, he can put a wickedness on it that is seriously hard to catch. Remember, behind Matt Leinart was a kid named Tom Malone who was very helpful in consistently generating subsequent good field position for the Trojans.
    The drivel posters have also constantly maligned the defense. Yet they will not acknowledge that many of the 2018 injury list were key defenders. No kid from UC Davis would have done that with Porter healthy and in the game. Meanwhile, Hufanga and Gaoteote will make plays in 2019 that will cause opposing fans to groan just at the sound of the hits.
    I am not pumping sunshine on this, these are the facts. The 2019 Trojans are stronger, faster, and have some scores to settle. The Coaching staff is properly in place all the way to the S&C coach.
    If you can't at least shut up and take a wait and see attitude for the 2019 USC Trojans, then I for one would like to see you go away, because you are not helping this team in anyway with the constant 'tude.

2. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Jul 6, 2019
    Why doesn’t Baxter have to worry about the tight ends? He is their coach again you know.

Merlin4SC, Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    After six games are played:

USC starts the season 6-0 with Sears at QB. (4-2 with JT at QB)

Stepp has 600+ yards at mid-season

USC receivers will obliterate the USC record books

Drake Jackson will be leading the line in sacks and tackles

Malik will force five fumbles

The young secondary will have ten INTs

USC will lead the conference in TO margin

USC's offense will be top ten in the land

The remaining six regular season games will depend on how healthy the team is.

Jose and DaFireMedic like this.
  4. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    I say
    I say AMEN to your post, but the board has become more tolerable these last couple of weeks. Maybe people are off on summer vacation.…. We will all know by the end of September what the tone will be on the board. If SC starts out fast, it will be more positive, but the Helton-haters will be giving credit to everyone BUT Helton. If SC starts off poorly, this board will become WEAREMEYER.com....

5. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    Well the oline and dline play could not be worse than last year, I will concede that. But we have the same guy who hired a cronny friend of his dads as oline coach and hired a neophyte as dline coach and he is still head coach. We shall see. As to the AD, we have a guy whose only qualification for the job is he was good at catching a football. What is really sad is that at the time Swann was hired the best young AD in the country was available and would have come to USC in a heartbeat but brain-rot at the top at USC allowed him to go to alabama. I hope some of the sunshine pumped in fact sticks but I would not bet on it with this management team.

6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    Yep, and it’s already started.

7. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    Can we see that successful turnaround first before arguing about who should or should not get credit for it?

I’m no Helton hater — he seems like a nice man — but I’m a big-time Helton doubter. I’ll worry about whether he gets the credit he deserves when he fields a team worthy of the uniform. At this point, I think he’s getting exactly the amount of credit he deserves.

8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    While you are not wrong, a great number of negative things happened both on and off the field last year, and more off the field problems came up this year. But I think the point is that we had some positive things happen this year as well, we need to get past the negatives and cheer the team on.

9. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    I think the only positive thing was we got rid of Nikias. I agree with Arhedge, Helton is a nice man-a good human being. But as a Head Coach he seems to screw up everything. He is an offensive guy and he hires T Martin as OC and QB coach. Those are some serious negatives! He approves Max as starting QB while he has a future first rounder at both spring and summer camps sitting on the bench? I am a doubter. I hope we start strong. If we do I will eat an ample serving of crow and really be happy--for the first time since Pete left.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    We did not get rid of Max. He's got lifetime emeritus status on the BoT. He goes to work on campus everyday, has his own office, still teaches, and is very much still pulling the strings.
    [​IMG]

"Nikias never left USC and will probably play a significant role in the institution for years to come.

He remains a tenured professor, and his exit package negotiated behind closed doors with the legal help of a longtime USC trustee provided him with a permanent, if non-voting, seat on the university’s governing board. In the many ongoing investigations and lawsuits the campus is facing — including the current college admissions case and the handling of former campus gynecologist Dr. George Tyndall — Nikias is a potential witness as well as a resource for lawyers defending the university.

The 66-year-old has important allies at the university, especially among the wealthy and powerful trustees who credit him with singularly elevating the school’s ambition and reputation.

“He's a great university president and he should be seen as an enormous asset,” said Bruce Ramer, a veteran entertainment lawyer and lifetime trustee who helped Nikias negotiate his exit package.

Others are concerned about Nikias’ ongoing influence. “Being a president emeritus is still recognizing your value not only in the past, but also the future, and that is the part I’m not cool with,” said graduate student government officer Kris Coombs Jr....

In negotiating his exit with the board, Nikias turned to a longtime trustee for legal representation: Ramer, a Hollywood power lawyer who counted Clint Eastwood, David O. Russell and fellow trustee Steven Spielberg as clients. Experts said it was an unusual arrangement because Ramer had a fiduciary duty to USC at the same time he had a legal duty to Nikias to win the best possible exit package."

How is it that someone with a gross conflict of interest was allowed to negotiate an exit which obviously has turned out to be anything but?! Spielberg's lawyer! Spielberg is a trustee! Hollywood elites making decisions that impact the school we all love(d) and what do they know or care about her students, her history, her alums? Not a damn thing.

11. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019

And this shows just what the BOT's think about everyone else.

They don't matter and the BOT's will continue to hold court in "the club".

12. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    I appreciate this post. I always try to be as optimistic as possible going into the season.

This year there is one reason to be very optimistic - the team has a LOT of talent.

There is one reason to be cautiously optimistic - there have been many changes to the coaching staff but Helton, Baxter and Clancy remain. They must up their game.

There is one reason to be downright concerned - the secondary is very young.

We'll see. I have no idea how it's going to go. This is the most uncertain upcoming season I can remember. Anywhere from 5 to 11 wins are possible.

13. Rodgarnay51

Jul 6, 2019
    All I know is Helton was the SC coach during the 2017 Rose Bowl. One of the most exciting football games ever. It's amazing how badly the team slipped last year, not only in terms of preparation and production, but in terms of effort too.

Pudly76 and SC200SC like this.
  14. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 6, 2019
    This again? You're crediting Helton? I seem to remember JuJu and Sam saving the day there, despite Helton. Well, that and the D with all those late stops. Or was it Helton's coaching that forced Penn St into 3 straight PIs?

15. Rodgarnay51

Jul 6, 2019
    No doubt. I'm just thankful that SC won and we got to see an epic game. Helton just happened to be the head coach. How much he had to do with the way it unfolded can be debated ad nauseum.

DaFireMedic and Pudly76 like this.
  16. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    Paid my season tickets & huskies game. Waiting on bay weekender . Indian game is decider

Trojan Man 30 and Pudly76 like this.
  17. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    I thought he was no longer coaching tight ends, my bad.

Pudly76 likes this.
  18. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2019
    If you are going to credit Helton for every loss, he also gets credit for every win - that’s only fair. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted him gone after last season- but he wasn’t let go, so now my cautious optimism returns. It APPEARS that he has addressed many of the issues, but we will see. If we tank this season, I’ll be calling for his removal, BUT if the team performs well, I won’t. If we win big, I’ll bring both of us a large bowl of crow to eat.

19. ImanMarshallLOCK

ImanMarshallLOCK Banned

Jul 6, 2019
    Name a championship won where the players didn't execute, had zero talent, and the coaches themselves won it.