It's been a trying season

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by priam7, Nov 12, 2018.

1. It's been a trying season
    priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2018
    There is no question that 2018 has not been a "fun year" for Trojan Football. With loosing there is going to be dissatisfaction.If you didn't like the coach when he won the Conference for the first time since pre-sanctions, you are going to absolutely go crazy with hate in what is presently a .500 season.Is it fair to hate a coach that had a couple back to back double digit win seasons?
    There has to be leadership from the coaching staff.....We all agree.....BUT.....There has to be leadership from the players.They are on the field ....They Play....It happens or not with them. We have been compromised in this area.
    We played Arizona State without our three Defensive Captains. That there was poor communication on D that game should not be a surprise. Injuries have really had an impact on our defense this year and that was supposed to be the unit that carried the team. We knew (while hoping against hope) that the offense would probably not be dependable because we have an 18 year old freshman at QB.
    Say what you will, the QB position is of singular importance in today's game.The level of performance and leadership at that position is most often the difference between winning and loosing. The "student body right" crowd can talk of more physical play and such but if you don't have THE GUY under center you are going to have a long season.........and that's what we are having.
    I can't blame JT because he can not be anything but raw 18 year old who NEVER played CFB . He's in the Pac 12 and the Pac 12 knows QB's and they know how to deal with them if only to keep the scores down with the very high level of QB play in this league. JT has NEVER experienced the road in the Pac 12.The stadiums are small and the crowds are beyond loud and hungry. JT has shown potential but he is not ready to deliver. Our opponents stack the box with run blitzes that turn into pressure on the QB if it's a pass play ....He has been overwhelmed out there but in his defense he has shown the talent and grit .There is hope for the future ,,,,,but the future is not now.
    I waited 4 years for Carson Palmer to become one of the All Time Greats. Barkley had a rough freshman year. We have had a number of QB's that BECAME REAL GOOD.We know what it is to have a high level of performance and leadership at that position. That is not what we are seeing now.
    I think the OL has improved .....Yes I do....They can do a lot of different things. Brown has come on and Tua is a great talent (though perhaps he should not be playing center). I believe he is at center because they want his leadership there......It is missing in the crucial spot .....!
    Sam is not here and HAS NOT YET BEEN REPLACED .....That is the BIG STORY........We have been VERY fortunate in that we have always had somebody after Carson....Matt....Booty....Sanchez....Barkley....Cody...and of course Sam. How many times did we feel that Sam would find a way??? That was a special couple years.....!
    So now everyone wants to roll the dice on a new coach but think on this. JT will be a year older, wiser and all the Sophomore's and Freshman (so many) that are playing will also be more experienced and I would bet VERY HUNGRY........!
    Lets see what happens.....If Clay is back maybe some new blood on the staff would be in the offing. I like Clancy and Drevino.......That frustrating thing is that I always see good things in these games but that is not winning....!

FIGHT ON

VancouverTrojan likes this.

2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    I don’t see it. We have a very suspect OLine and even with Neilon I do not see any depth with the exception of Jason Rodriguez’s commitment. The QB play was affected early on because we did not have a run game. To make matters worse our inept line could not also pass block. As a QB you are told to stay in the pocket for protection, and worse case move forward. Earlier in the season he was taking hits from Austin Jackson’s side, his blind side. That could shake up anyone, plus he has a crappy inexperienced QB coach. This past game they blitzed from the middle twice and Toa failed to pick it up and JT got squashed. Let’s not also forget Toa’s erratic snaps.
    Do not even think about bringing back Helton for another year. The best case as KB stated would be for Swann to start his search immediately and get rid of Helton after the Notre Dame game. Anything else would be a total diservice to the university, football program, students, players, and fans!
    Fight On!

3. Shooter

Shooter Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    It's been a trying season because our head coach is not capable of adjusting to the realities and challenges that are presented.

Sam Darnold is a generational talent who was worth 3-4 wins per year. Astute observers have seen the signs: poor preparation and game planning, lousy line play, questionable decisions re: who should play, bad play calling, terrible clock management, subpar discipline and what appears to be lousy strength and conditioning. Add to that nepotistic (is that a word?) hiring and retention of many assistant coaches who are from the CCH/Western Kentucky tree who just appear to be in over their heads.

No meaningful practice hitting during the season, no-pads Novembers, cheap talk about being a physical run-first offense but no actions designed to back up the empty words......CCH's approach and reality have met this year, and the results are not pretty.

Here's a fact for you: every other coach in the Pac 12 would trade his roster for ours. The REALITY is that CCH has gotten less from the talent on his team than every other coach in the conference.

And because he appears to be a very stubborn and resistant to change kinda guy, I do not believe the situation will improve in the future.

gubo&palanka, LR4TROY, Troy70 and 6 others like this.
  4. Gilesmiles

Gilesmiles Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    What is loosing?

CCTrojans likes this.
  5. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    These are the types of posts that bring the trolls out from under the bridge and into the sunshine. This team lacks discipline and it was evident far before the Cal game. The senseless penalties, receivers running into each other, giving up huge plays on defense, this ship is sunk.

Successful teams win with starters out, every team has injuries. Successful teams win the freshman, every good college team has players leave early to the draft. Successful teams do not shoot themselves in the foot with bad penalties, poor clock management, and a head coach that wastes timeouts like he is an NBA head coach. Successful teams put assistant coaches in head coaching positions!!!! Who on this staff is going anywhere???

Look at the successful teams in college football and try to draw any parallels between their program and ours, you won't find any. These guys had a fair chance and they blew it. They have more talent now and more depth now than when they started and we are far worse off. Its coaching dude! Period. Leadership starts at the top, to have leadership from the players you have to have it from the coaches. Its a system, these are 18-20 yr old we are talking about. They need to be taught, shaped, and molded into better players, better teammates, and better men.

6. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    When have we had the better QB play in a game this year??? An opposing coach WOULD trade his rooster for ours but not the QB position.....This position effects both sides of the ball ......!

7. Shooter

Shooter Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    True, ASU game is probably the only one this year that our QB play was superior.

8. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    There were people who defended Hackett at the end, too. There will always be a small number of people who are genuinely incapable of seeing the obvious. God bless ‘em.

9. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    I wish I could be optimistic about the future if Helton were to remain coach, but it is abundantly clear that he has not built a foundation upon which to build a successful football program.

The past two years' success were smoke and mirrors, or should I say, Sam and Darnold. Without him - if we had a much more pedestrian and average QB (like say, JT Daniels), his coaching deficiencies would have been exposed much earlier and there is no way we get to a Rose Bowl or a Pac12 'ship without the once-a-decade type of talent that Darnold was.

I do agree that the importance of a great QB cannot be overstated. Just like having a superstar player in basketball, the addition (or lack of) excellent QB play is the difference between a struggling, average team, and a good, competitive one, or a good team and a great one.

Daniels will improve, no doubt about it. He was thrown to the wolves behind a suspect O-line and getting hit by Division I caliber players four and five years his senior. Something he likely never experienced at Mater Dei. The experience of his frosh year (if it didn't irreparably damage his confidence) will make him better moving forward.

However, this coaching staff seems unable to use the type of talent Daniels has, or mold the offensive philosophy to his particular skill set. He's not Sam Darnold - so don't expect him to be.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. uscmike5524

uscmike5524 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Have you seen Wisconsins starting QB for the last 2 years play? The kid is severely limited athletically. They do their best to gameplan around it. That is what a competent head coach does.

Helton should have named a starter at the end of spring ball before JT arrived and then allowed the team to rally around that player. In my opinion that should have been Sears. Simplify the offense until he's ready for more and coach up JT to be ready if necessary.

11. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    You know what's really trying? Believe me, I type this with the utmost sincerity. It's trying to read an entire page of unspaced paragraphs. My eyes are literally crossing over and with a migraine chaser to boot. Spaces please, spaces. Thanks ; )

CCTrojans likes this.
  12. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Wisconsin is loosing....!

13. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    I am not saying keep him but hiring a new coach is a gamble. So just think of hiring an unknown quantity and getting rid of a coach who has won (like last year and the year before that)...You might get Pete Carroll, (and of course all of you knew he was going to be great) or you might get Lane or Steve......!
    Come on .....I guess if you have been reading Dick and Jane......The Iliad doesn't have double space paragraphs....I will try to remember for you next time though.....!!

14. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Honestly, priam, why are you still stumping for this guy? He was a poor coach last year, feasting on a terrible schedule on the backs of first-rate talents in the offensive backfield. A lot of people saw that last year. Everybody sees it now. Everybody. Just let it go.

You'll like the new guy, too. I know that, because anybody who can support Helton after watching this team is capable of supporting anybody. Soon sunshine pumping will be back in style. Just wait a couple of weeks.

15. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 13, 2018
    Absolutely one of the most astute posts I have come across in quite awhile.

16. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    OP, the telltale sign of serious erosion appeared Saturday night. The captain has lost his crew. Even if you think Helton can coach, it doesn't matter because the players are now coaching themselves. The loss of morale, abject individualism, and lack of trust and respect for their coaches and teammates was the worst display of USC football I've witnessed in my 50+ years as a fan.

I hate criticizing coaches. I've supported Clay more than just about anyone here but despite all the good he's done (yes, a lot), for whatever reason he is no longer seen by these players as their head coach and they no longer respond to their position coaches. Clay lost the fans and the media months ago. Obviously, he's now lost the one group a coach cannot lose. You can't fire the players (despite some who deserve it) and they cannot coach themselves, so what's left? It's actually self-evident enough that Clay should voluntarily step down. He probably won't because of his loyal nature so termination is imminent. There isn't any option left.

17. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    If you do not have leadership at the QB position you will not be successful. The whole team looses confidence....Both sides of the ball ,...We also have been challenged by far more then our share of injuries on defense ....Player leadership is a major factor in team success,,,,QB leadership in the modern game IS THE GAME.....!

Have you ever played on a team and knew you could not score when you had to (or hardly at all )? ......The whole team losses confidence and focus,That is what is happening to this team. They know their young QB is not ready for prime time.

Should Helton turn to Sears? Should he move Tua to guard? I don't know but these are the decisions that come with his job. It is a job that depends on what goes down in these next two games.They are "Soul" of any SC football season.

I am just trying to take an objective look at the season........Saying "Fire The Coach" is not always the most reasoned reaction. Hackett never won.. Lane never won....Sark ditto......This guy has so you better think deeper then "Fire The Coach" .....1

18. TroyCAM

TroyCAM Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Ssssseeeesh. Another stupid Western Kentucky reference. CCH cut his coaching teeth at Memphis, not WKU!

19. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    [​IMG]

CCTrojans likes this.
  20. USC1994

USC1994 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Qb is hurt