Ishmael Sopsher lands in LA

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 27, 2021.

1. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 29, 2021
    He is a left handed pitcher so he wants to play baseball. I agree, there are very good schools in those states. He wants to go into sports medicine so I sent him a list of the top schools. USC was in the top tier for his career choice, but he's been focused on smaller schools. I think Coastal Carolina is his top school right now and has been as he has been getting a lot of letters of acceptance and offers for scholarship money. I did want him to give New Mexico State a look.

2. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 29, 2021
    He's definitely not big enough for OL. Southpaw pitcher in the mid-80s with some plus movement on all pitches. He just needs to keep at it in the gym to get the velocity up.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Coastal Carolina is a great choice. Is he hardcore set on those states? If not, I'd look at Rice, UNC (both Chapel Hill and Charlotte), NC State, and SMU.

zitorocks likes this.
  4. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 29, 2021
    There’s ‘medicines’ for that deficiency in size and velocity ;-)

Left-handed....is he another Zito, zito?

zitorocks likes this.
  5. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Rice, SMU, and the NC schools would be great. I think he has one school from NC he's considering. My bet is that he will pick Coastal, just because that's the school he always talks about. I'd love for him to go to Rice or SMU...both close to me.

6. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 29, 2021
    The kid is as straight laced as they come. I doubt he'd ever consider those "medicines." Definitely wouldn't mind him having Barry's stuff with a little extra velocity....however, Barry was a total headcase. He will definitely need to walk-on wherever he decides to go. He doesn't need any scholarship money, but of course whatever he gets in scholarships, that's more for dad. I'll even split the difference with him.

7. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Please stress upon him the consequences of doing stuffs, the many payers in legal issues or in prison and worst due to having used stuffs. So many great institutions in this country! the only way to truly go wrong is not to have attended at least one of them.

Good luck,

8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Once they get to that "in love" stage with a school, it's nearly impossible for them to entertain a different choice. Very important for them to feel like they picked it and it was a good choice. The only thing that got my daughter to move off her #1 was actually visiting each campus and taking the official tours. I'm assuming your son has already done that.

If he picks Coastal, I think that's great! That reno they did some years ago was pretty amazing. One of the best baseball/softball complexes anywhere. One of my closest friends has a daughter who was planning on CC for Kines/Phys Therapy. She ended up elsewhere, a little closer to home but they loved the CCU campus.

zitorocks likes this.
  9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Not as sexy as Coastal Carolina, but he might take at least a cursory look at Kennesaw St. it’s about 25 miles north of Atlanta going towards Chattanooga. One of my daughters graduated from there and she was in their sports medicine program for most of her time.
    Not a bad baseball program either. I think it’s pretty good but not 100% certain

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    zitorocks likes this.
  10. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Thanks for the assist veebs and Blem. He told me this weekend he has Austin Peay now high on his list. They've offered him a hefty sum of scholarship money. I just mentioned Kennesaw State to him as well.

11. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Having those guys will help the entire defense. LB's....secondary are doing flips with excitement.