Is this the final nail in the program?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by KeenObserver, May 12, 2020.

1. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

May 13, 2020
    I want to emphasize this fact. Read carefully people. This is happening all over the country.
    upload_2020-5-13_23-3-21.jpeg

DaFireMedic likes this.
  2. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

May 14, 2020
    Gosh, I feel slighted that I wasn't challenged to a weightlifting contest...

KeenObserver and Peete2Affholter like this.
  3. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 14, 2020
    Lol, it’s not worth it. Believe me.

4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 14, 2020
    Well, instead of lifting heavy weights to no purpose besides making one's muscles sore, how about a test of functional strength?

I will order a pallet or two of crushed rocks, to be delivered to my home. You and I will be masked up and gloved up, since social distancing may not be possible to be observed at all times, and we will see who can carry the most of those 50-pound bags to the backyard, empty the contents to the cleared area along the fence, in the shortest amount of time.

Winner will get....a free gift certificate to Souplantation.

Sound good? Let me know if you're up to it!

DaFireMedic and nvargas like this.
  5. KeenObserver

May 14, 2020
    Hahaha! Nicely played, but since you don’t want to be exploitative, I think the final step of the contest should be clean up rocks but back in bag and return to original position. I know a man of your integrity would not be able morally accept that free labor.

Peete2Affholter and nvargas like this.
  6. Peete2Affholter

May 14, 2020
    You have underestimated the depths of my moral depravity, sir, and besides, it is not free labor, it is competition in the pursuit of glory and fame! Unless you consider the exploits of our mighty heroes of Troy to also be "free labor!"

nvargas likes this.
  7. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

May 14, 2020
    Don't need a victory, wasn't really looking for one. As I said, after having written all that nonsense bout lifting, felt like a douche. Lifting for me is personal, it's my zen. I don't care what others lift. I applaud you for taking it up and trying to reach beyond your comfort zone.

Hurting yourself trying to throw up max-weight is the kinda crap I did in my 20's...trying to stack the weights to appease my ego...and I'm paying for that bullshit now. I recall getting up to 1,170 lbs on a leg press machine (12 plates per side and another 4 plates stacked on the sled), and thinking I was a badass. Years later I read that exercise was the absolute worst for your lower back and how you transfer the load from your legs to coiling your lower back. Stupid!

Unsolicited Advice (w/ no delusions you'll take it) - continue doing what you're doing with the emphasis on muscle development and feeling the burn in the intended muscles targeted by that exercise. I've seen a ton of people throw on a bunch of weight on the bench, only to half-stroke a rep and call it good...what's the point in that?

I didn't win any rounds, I often wish I was leaner and more svelte...and had better cardio. I can usually lift more than 90% of the people at my gym, but get gassed after running up & down a basketball court a couple times for pickup...I'm too old to be a "bro", nor do I want to be.

*** Thx for letting me off the hook, really didn't want to start squatting again...lol

8. KeenObserver

May 14, 2020
    I lifted heavy in my youth. I don’t regret that. I regret the over eating to get bigger. Dumb. I was never a cardio guy, but these days my cardio and diet has never been better. I all fairness I really let myself go in 2019; and two months ago I stopped everything sugar, grease and alcohol until I’m down to 165. 176 this morning, Was about 200 after New Years even playing basketball on Saturdays. All time high.

BTW Ronnie Coleman is a cripple now. Sad to see, but he blew out his back, nerve and joint damage. Hip replacements, etc.

9. TheTrojanKnight

TheTrojanKnight Junior Member

May 14, 2020
    1% is already being dramatic. Normal college students are at no real risk from this virus. Division 1 athletes are at 0% risk as of right now. Have you seen the athletes who've got it describe it? They don't even feel like they have a cold. Open up the campuses and stop hiding from this. As a current college student it's nowhere near deadly enough that we should shut down all of next semester too. Online education sucks and the schools aren't going to be refunding any of our tuition. If we can't actually go to school and get what we paid for then we better get refunded.

brand56 likes this.
  10. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    I'll quote Reagan at the risk of the usual suspects on here having a fit, the 9 scariest words you'll hear, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

DaFireMedic likes this.
  11. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    First of all, it's hilarious to see someone extol Newsome like this while referring to POTUS as "Dear Leader." Just sit back and think of the irony of that on so many levels. As for name calling, I won't take the bait, but since you want facts think of the following which aren't in dispute.

Fauci, Brix and the CDC are coercing us into using the IHME model, which most people know was commissioned by Bill Gates. Have you heard about Gates' comments on population control btw? Anyway, this "professional scientific" modeling approach had given us garbage forecasts off by orders of magnitude. Most of us would lose our jobs if we were even half that bad, a fourth that bad, or an eighth that bad, etc. In other words those of us who have to forecast things were off by over 10%, we would get fired, and in my case that's around 4-5% tolerance. AND THESE PEOPLE ARE PLAYING WITH OUR LIVES, on several levels through policy and legality, be it effects on public health decisions or economic decisions.

So connect those dots if you know anything about math. Have you thought about why they want to flatten the curve? Do you honestly think it is about saving lives? If so, it would be interesting to see why you think that. Back to math though. You are no doubt aware of the implications of area under the curve. In this case they measure deaths per day over time to assess our ability, or lack of it to control the outbreak. So what would the area under that curve represent? Yes, it's total dead people. So, you may also have noticed how steep the curve is and how much spikier it is when we take no action and let the virus run its course, right? It's the basic V-shape they talked about, and it gets into really frightening numbers quickly as it spreads through the population. The duration of this V-shape curve takes a lot less time before it is over. Do you know what happens when you flatten the curve? Yes it limits the daily rate of death. BUT, what else does it do? Ever think about that? Well, it drags it out a really long time as we take measures to prevent the spread. THOSE CURVES DO NOT COVER EQUAL AREA. The flatter curve has a lot more area under it.

Intuitively, the obvious conclusion is that once an outbreak occurs you are not going to contain this, but you must guard your most vulnerable and leave the other people alone to function as normal. The further outcome is that the HERD becomes IMMUNE which is what makes the steep V shape curve go back down. So why flatten it as a policy? Obviously keeping the rate of infection and demand for hospital resources more manageable. That is the primary concern with these policies. Newsome has not affected the death rate, but the demographics and population density and culture and climate have a lot more effect. You know this because California was early to get on the curve and has more asymptomatic cases than anywhere else measured expect perhaps Japan and Taiwan, neither of which followed Newsome's policies.

As for PRESIDENT Trump, yes the "orange man," do we really need to get into the politics of why he would praise Newsome? I think it's pretty obvious that Trump has no love lost for the behavior of Newsome and they will be at each others throats again soon enough over more routine matters like forest fires and sanctuary policies. It's also pretty obvious that the DNC has already suggested that Trump killed people, so why give them any cannon fodder?

All I am suggesting is that we all think about what is going on and take stock of what we really know and connect the dots.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  12. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    I went home and drank a beer. Personally, I feel like the winner here.

AMLTrojan and Peete2Affholter like this.
  13. Peete2Affholter

May 15, 2020
    Was it a.....CORONA?

14. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

May 16, 2020
    What an incredibly stupid take on the situation. You blame Trump, interject race, and create fear, all because of your stupid political agenda. If you are afraid to leave your house, then don't! But tell me, and everyone else, that because of your perceived lack of leadership from the President, hide under your bed until we have a vaccine.You must be reading dem talking points, and gullible enough to take at face value China's deaths being reported.
    Go ahead and fear monger all you want. Yes, 83K, have died. .Half of those are in nursing homes. Three Northeast states account for about 55%. Meanwhile, 36 million have lost work.
    Based on your assessment, going back to college may be a death sentence. Yes, people will die from this virus. But more will die from our reaction to it. Mostly by Governors in blue states.

brand56 and Merlin4SC like this.
  15. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

May 16, 2020
    Do you work for Garcetti? Because if you don't you should.
    People like you are fine sacrifices all liberty and freedom to be "safe".

16. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

May 16, 2020
    Vargas response is typical- Im working, with a cushy government job. If you aren't, it's not my problem.
    Meanwhile, everybody stay home(except me and my union buddies, were essential) and suck it up.

17. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

May 18, 2020
    Don't work for gov, not in union, not asking anyone to suck anything up. You don't know me, anymore than I know you.

18. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

May 18, 2020
    We know that he spams politics in the football forum during all times of the year -- including football season.

19. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

May 18, 2020
    True.

20. miker1

miker1 Junior Member

May 18, 2020
    Says Dr. KeenObserver. Share that crystal ball with the rest of us.