Is this the final nail in the program?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by KeenObserver, May 12, 2020.

1. Is this the final nail in the program?
    KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 12, 2020
    It's pretty clear we will not see any California schools for the remainder of the year. It is still unclear if the NCAA will allow regional playing of sports based on state by state opening guidelines. If other schools particularly in the south and Midwest are indeed playing, what can be done to salvage our program? It hardly seems fair that a player 's fortune rests upon how the elected officials in the state of the school they play for handle the decision making.

Personally, I see this as the end. It was probably trending that way anyway. I can't tell you how saddened I am by all the news I have heard today regarding non-opening.

Terrible day to be a Californian.

2. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

May 12, 2020
    Im still speechless.....was gone all day, just played a nice course in Corona....

I cant believe the kind of leadership we have in this state......damn.....

3. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

May 12, 2020
    They are our leaders because people blindly follow their political party.

4. trojan07

trojan07 Junior Member

May 12, 2020
    It's that... and all the "freebies" they offer... there will be no football this fall unless they get their trillion dollar ransom... which they will not...

5. K9Buck

K9Buck Points Member

May 12, 2020
    Alabama is apparently talking to TCU in case USC can't play.

Here's a thought. What if USC moved the team to another state to have their season? All the students are taking classes virtually anyway, so, why not?

Tommy4732 and brand56 like this.
  6. woohit42

woohit42 Junior Member

May 12, 2020
    I knew this was coming. All information I have read regarding opening California called for a vaccine before any organized sports. It's absurd.

7. KeenObserver

May 12, 2020
    We don't need your opinion on this.

8. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

May 12, 2020
    Put those attorneys, doctors, and professors to work on the School and sports plan. How about the school take what Korea did and run with it? Use the app, track students etc. Also, take the Tesla route. Screw Gavin and LA County! Get the attorneys ready.

Worst case scenario: play all away games!

Trump would definitely back the school flipping the bird at the county and Gov Newsome.

Tommy4732, brand56, User1234 and 2 others like this.
  9. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

May 12, 2020
    All it will take is just one of those football games to cause a small outbreak and the whole season will be cancelled. Nationwide. Most school wont make money on games without spectators anyway.

A lot of the rural schools dont have many community cases. Yet. What happens in the fall might change everything. A lot of those small college town might get slammed hard by COVID in the fall. Things are better now with more testing and social distancing but if they have fully open college campuses then there is no way theu avoid some cases popping up.

No way is SC going to risk another public image disaster by risking a major outbreak when the UCs aren't even going to be open.

Turkued and J4SC75 like this.
  10. KeenObserver

May 12, 2020
    There won’t be major outbreak. Many of the SEC schools are already going ahead with fall classes including UGA. California is a total mess right now and it’s been trending that way for years. Now we’ve hit dysfunction manifest destiny. Congratulations.

11. bestlakersfan

bestlakersfan Junior Member

May 12, 2020
    Exactly this. Unfortunately politics (both sides) have destroyed peoples' awareness, reasoning and clarity, to a point of death. People defend corrupt politicians who don't care about them and fight each other for no reason. Remember, the motto has, and always will be, divide and conquer. If people just put away politics and stand up for truth, justice and liberty in a unified way, things will change...drastically and quickly.

In my opinion, this virus and lock-down have caused many, many people to open their eyes on what is going on behind he scenes. Even people just questioning somethings and breaking out of any pre-determined ideology and labels is FANTASTIC.

Much love to everyone, and here is to humanity waking up from its slumber. Fight On!

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  12. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

May 13, 2020
    Those who want, will find small outbreaks anywhere...

13. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 13, 2020
    Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it. Read Smithsonian magazine November 2017 on pandemic flu.

14. KeenObserver

May 13, 2020
    Great post BLF. Good to have you back.

15. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

May 13, 2020
    you quarantine the sick and the vulnerable

you don't quarantine the healthy...

absurdity has ruled the day in some states... California is one of them... LA County is pushing it even further.
    The numbers here do not support the actions. Neither does the science.

Tommy4732, SC ForLife and brand56 like this.
  16. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

May 13, 2020
    The news coming out of the state of California is absolutely shocking.

While a proud Trojan alum, I’m mighty glad I live in a red state right now.

17. denali15

denali15 Points Member

May 13, 2020
    Not true. Newsom has a 70% approval rating. We have this leadership because they reflect the state, not because of blind party-following.

USC Rising and nvargas like this.
  18. PraiseTheLJ

PraiseTheLJ Junior Member

May 13, 2020
    Stating the obvious but, it's only May 13th and I think it's too soon to tell what will happen. I'm rooting for the Florida reopening experiment to work, but if it doesn't, and assuming most of the Southeast follows the same playbook, I actually think the SEC is just as much at risk of having their games postponed. Their willingness to open now speaks to their confidence that they can make it through the Fall and Winter relatively unscathed. But, if even one player catches the virus then I think the season is in jeopardy, even in the South. As much as we all want CFB to happen, I think players would protest, take to social media, and boycott games as a result.

I'm optimistic that if California sees the success of the South, they will start to relax these protective measures, but we may know in about a month who's response was more effective. Either way, it stands to reason if California is ready to open up in August and September while Alabama is still reeling, it'll throw a wrench in everyone's schedule. I guess then we can revisit those talks about California having its own governing athletic body. Thems were simpler times.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  19. bestlakersfan

bestlakersfan Junior Member

May 13, 2020
    And GWB had a 91% approval rating after 9/11. Does that mean he was great? Fear blinds people into handing over their sovereignty.

20. 28thstreet

28thstreet Junior Member

May 13, 2020
    You guys still don't get it. Its not the government who is shutting things down, its the virus. Ok, lets open up USC. People can send their kids to live in dorms and campus housing and live with hundreds of other people. Hell, only a small percentage, 1%, will die. Ok? You can't close campuses to the (mostly) white kids because its unsafe and have the (mostly) black kids playing football on the field. You could open up all of these campuses and people aren't going to send their kids. Same goes with most things. Why this is political is a testament to the lack of leadership in Washington as is the fact that the US leads the world in COVID deaths, by a large margin.

Turkued likes this.