Is Pac XII (Women's) Basketball Back?

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by bell, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Is Pac XII (Women's) Basketball Back?
    bell

bell Points Member

Mar 27, 2019
    I couldn't help but be excited about how well the conference's women's teams are doing. Five of them - Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona St, Stanford and UCLA are all in the final 16. Does any conference have more? I hope this will be maintained and may be upped over the next several years.

Unfortunately, the USC team is in terrible shape and has been so for many years even after several coaching changes, some of whom looked like the right choices. Not too many here can recall that USC was once the top dog in women's soccer with the program winning two NCAAs in a row under Linda Sharp and Cheryl Miller (one of the best women players of all time), the McGee twins, Cynthia Cooper et al.

I'm not necessarily one of those seeking to blame all things on Swann but I couldn't understand why he brought Mark Trakh back for a second stint after he failed in the first. Nothing personal, but I didn't see what he did after he left SC to justify bringing him back. I was waiting for him to prove me wrong but he didn't. His second stint seems worse than the first. I can't understand why he's not on the hot seat.

2. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Mar 27, 2019
    FWIW, you typed "soccer" above.

And, you can blame this on Swann. He has no clue and should not be an AD.
    USC is a complete shit show right now.

3. bell

bell Points Member

Mar 27, 2019

THANKS FOR THE CATCH

Thankfully, USC and the Pac XII are current national power in soccer. I just hope they don't let it get away as they've done with other sports.

4. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Mar 28, 2019
    Yep . . . the women's game in the Pac 12 has been "back" for a few years now.

Although they haven't won the big one, Pac 12 teams have been in (7) of the last (10) Final Fours, and have a great chance to get into this year's semifinals.

Stanford was the sole standard bearer in the recent past, but programs like Oregon and Oregon St. have stepped up in recent years.

The Pac 12 has recruited really well the last few years.

Half of the Western roster for this year's McDonald's All American game is going to Pac 12 schools, including 6'5 Angel Jackson who will attend USC in the Fall.

I agree that Trakh was not a great hire. He seems very low energy, and his teams consistently fall apart at the end of games.

5. bell

bell Points Member

Mar 28, 2019
    I agree. Sometimes, I get the impression he's not one who has set winning the national championship as a goal. Looks like he'd be content just to have a decent team in the PacXII, with an occasional chance at winning the conference. Quite unlike what, I hate to say, I see at Westwood. (Personally, I don't think any coach who doesn't see winning the national championship as a realistic goal
    in any sport
    should be hired by SC.)

LDIABootney likes this.
  6. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Best conference in America.
    Just lacking that one special program.

7. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I don't think Trakh is the answer to bring us to championship status, but the team is playing much better with him as coach. Add a great Cal and Washington teams to the Pac 12 teams you mention and you can see why it is tough for SC to quickly move to the top of the conference. Trakh has recruited two great players to the team for next year, so I think he should be given a bit more time.