Is JT our Ron Pawlus?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by KeenObserver, Nov 17, 2018.

1. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I posted those stats on the board regarding their talent weeks ago as well. Their cupboard isn’t as bare as what teeth and others like to say.

2. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    You gave as much shit as you got. So you get to gloat this year, will you be a man and take it with grace, or an man-child stuck in adolescence? Reading this response, I think you make it perfectly clear which you are

3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    He actually reminds me quite a lot of Rosen. Even that ridiculous fake throw after the hand off. Hopefully JT will grow out of it. Rosen never did.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  4. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Kelly was 34-6 without Mariota.

More evidence that SC fans get who we deserve as head coaches. Tollner, Hackett, Lane, Sark, Helton, etc.

AMLTrojan and CCTrojans like this.
  5. woohit42

woohit42 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    How's that?

6. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Nov 17, 2018
    SC back in the dark 90's recruited similar to what ucheela has the past few years. Its actually really poor compared to the top 10 or so. Even those SC teams put guys in the NFL. But the overall talent were not on par with a championship team.

7. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I'm all for playing the best guy and I have said that I think that Sears should be playing behind this oline, but who could develop under this coaching regime? To call a kid overrated who comes out of high school and makes the transition to college, if you think that he would win the Heisman you are crazy. He is a freshman and I got news for you, Sears is a freshman. Both are going to make mistakes. Focus your attention where it needs to go, on the coaching staff and quit throwing this kid under the bus. He did not give up almost 300 yards on the ground to a FCS running back. Win as a team lose as a team.

DADMoyock, longshot10 and qqqqqqqman like this.
  8. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    No they won't, they still have to play defense. They might win 7 next year but they won't win 10 or compete for the playoffs every year after that. If you believe that you're standing too close to the nitrous oxide.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  9. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I got two words for you......Matt.....Coral.

10. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Keen,

Chip just pulled a W with a hodge podge of guys. Just logically, it is no stretch that he will be better next year, and continue to improve. With Helton returning, he will get more guys in LA than fUcla would normally. This win feels like Harb’s upset of PC. Granted Pete Carrol’s squad was loaded but the win signaled a change. This win is a harbinger of the same, this time fUcla is turning the corner. People are underestimating Chip.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    DADMoyock likes this.
  11. jorgec55

jorgec55 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Carson had a cannon.

12. mrbug708

mrbug708 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    His high school coach, his other oregon coach, and his three (I think its been that many) Titans HCs have had more years with Mariota than Kelly did. Kelly had one year with Mariota starting as QB. He had Masoli and Thomas as his QBs as Oregons head coach. A kid who flamed out in the SEC without Kelly and a QB who was 5'10. He should have stayed and won a title with Mariota amd we found out Helfrich wasnt the brains behind Kelly.

AMLTrojan likes this.
  13. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    In the end, after the next couple yrs, I think JT will be alright and considered good.

Looking at the right now... does he make mistakes, absolutely. Made some bad decisions and poor throws, absolutely. Need to work on mobility, absolutely. However, is he garbage like many say on this site, NO.

You can see he has talent. Let's not act like everything he throws up is like a 5 yr old girl. Dude has made a lot of solid, on the mark dimes throughout the season.

JT is a freshman, shit is going to happen especially behind this OL and our WRs have not helped him out, countless times, multiple drops just today. They need to work with him to not run like a pu$$y and go head first, take the 8 or 10 yd run if it's there. We don't need him to be Michael Vick, but don't look like you a scared 10 yr old either. This will develop with a solid year working on his craft. No doubt better coaching and play calling will help this. Someone specifically who can coach a QB would be great.

Stop comparing him to Trevor Lawrence or Tua or other young starters of the such. Those teams are loaded with great talent (linemen specifically) and coaching who are capable of in game adjustments. If JT ended up in Clemson or Bama or GA I can ensure you he would be looking pretty damn good.

14. FleetwoodMack

FleetwoodMack Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Oregon is a not a hell hole.

travyav likes this.
  15. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    What needs to happen though is that the Qb competition needs to be opened up again. JT needs to be pushed by the other two and if he doesn't rise to the occasion one of the other two should start. A new coach would help with that, Helton is so weird about pulling people and not pulling people, JT seems to be is guy and that is not going to cut it. It needs to be a competition. Sears needs to start against ND and get some reps against a solid team. The coaches should want to see this.

16. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    JT never had a fair chance and should have been left to develop a year.

If Swann doesn’t make a move after next week I look for JT to never get the proper coaching he deserves.
    Fink or Sears should have been the starter from day one.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  17. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I can agree with this. Solid competition in practice can lead to better play on game day for sure. Any ideas if Sears is still looking to transfer after year?

I do not know JT personally, nor do I have any insider information as some may. However, by all accounts from what I have read and heard about JT, he seems like someone who will get this together. He is said to be a hard worker and someone who is quick to learn and move past the mistakes with quick memory loss and focus to move forward. I believe the true failure is on the staff to not adjust some of their play calling to JT's strengths. Brady Quinn (commentator in todays game) even talked about how Kelly adjusted his scheme to fit Speight's strengths as he is not the runner that Kelly prefers. Our staff does not seem to make these kind of adjustments and this is a failure on their part. JT has simply been caught up in this fiasco and he actually gets little blame from me... some, like those ints today are on his decision making... but most of the blame is the staffs.

One other thing, while I am still on my soap box. You can see when JT does not often step into his throws. This is something he has developed from having a poor OL. This takes some of the zip and distance off his passes when he needs it, which makes some poor throws. He has several times, thrown off his back foot when there was no need to. This is because he has developed that habit by simply being hit too often and it is his subconscience that has now developed that habit. When he steps into his throws, he can zip it around the field with just about any other QB in the country.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    travyav likes this.
  18. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    You are exactly right he doesn't step into his throws. He needs to be taught and developed, just like any freshman no matter what their rating out of high school. He does have a better than average arm, but it looks weaker because he is always throwing off his back foot. I saw him step into about three throws today and they all had plenty of zip, he's never going to have a Patrick Mahomes arm, but he could have a Joe Montana arm. This oline is a problem for an immobile Qb, I think sears should start against ND because I am afraid JT might get crushed.

19. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Driller is still hating Clay Helton because he saw the character flaws in Driller's wb recruit

20. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Nov 17, 2018
    he's going to call you Shyster, which sounds like some anti-Semitic word.

DJ4SC likes this.