Ireland says is a done deal

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by xuscx, Nov 12, 2018.

1. FightOn1992

FightOn1992 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    So I am NOT a fan of the Del Rio hire - so I thought I would show why in a nutshell. My theory is that a Head Coach comes up from one side of the ball or the other at least 90% of the time - yes there are special teams guys like John Harbaugh). Hence, I EXPECT a Head Coach's team to be GOOD on their side of the ball. This was a good theory in proving why Pete was an excellent hire and why the man who preceded him was a lousy hire.

Hence I went back and looked at the defenses that JDR has been either the HC or DC of since 2003 (I used espn for the stats) and I did a quick look at what those defenses ranked in terms of Yards/Game and Pts/Game:
    2003 Jax - Points allowed 18th in league (out of 32 teams), Yards 6th
    2004 Jax - Points 7th, Yards 11th
    2005 Jax - Points 6th, Yards 6th
    2006 Jax - Points 4th, Yards 2nd
    2007 Jax - Points 10th, Yards 12th
    2008 Jax - Points 21st, Yards 17th
    2009 Jax - Points 24th, Yards 23rd
    2010 Jax - Points 27th, Yards 28th
    2011 Jax - Points 11th, Yards 6th
    2012 Den - Points 4th, Yards 2nd
    2013 Den - Points 22nd, Yards 19th
    2014 Den - Points 16th, Yards 3rd
    2015 Oak - Points 22nd, Yards 22nd
    2016 Oak - Points 30th, Yards 27th
    2017 Oak - Points 20th, Yards 23rd

Bottom line - while he started out pretty good in the first 5 years or so in Jax - his performance since 2007 -on (more than a decade) has largely been a train wreck. If his teams suck on the side of the ball that it is his specialty - good god what makes anyone think this guy can succeed at all at USC with the whole enchilada.

2. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Wait a minute. Those numbers seem to prove the opposite of what you're claiming. I'm surprised they look that good. More than one-third of the time he has had top-10 if not top-5 defenses. (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, and 2012). He has had above average defenses on two other occasions (2003, 2014). That's eight of the fifteen years. And he's had truly bad defenses four times. His average rank is 13.8 for yards and 15.4 for points. Those aren't great numbers, but it means he's above average even though many years he was playing with bad QB's, which means his defense is in a bad position a lot.

This is competing against the best minds on the biggest stage and with a salary cap, such that it's hard to out-talent your opponents the way you can at USC.

By way of comparison, Bill Belichick -- an undoubted genius on the defensive side of the ball -- averages a rank of 19.4 in yards and 7.6 in points over the last five years, and that's with arguably the GOAT at QB who never puts the defense in a bad position.

3. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    For people who listen to Ireland, how does he come across to you? He's very annoying to me, going far back to his news sports days.

The dude is an ass kisser, especially when it comes to the Lakers. I know a lot of you like him because their ratings are good.

4. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Winning anywhere in the NFL is easier than winning at a bottom-tier P5 college program because there are way more rules enforcing parity. If you finish last in college you don't get the first pick of the draft, you just bring in more recruits that (unless you're a big time program underachieving) are much worse than what your competition is bringing in.

If you're going to use JDR's total record, Campbell's overall record as a head coach is 52-32. Campbell's record at ISU is dragged down by a 3-9 first season. When he took over, they were coming off 3 straight years of 2 or 3 wins. Not surprising that they'd struggle in his first year. Since then, he's 14-8, and they haven't lost any game by more than 10 points. He won 8 games last year and will likely at least match that this year, at a program that hadn't won 8 games in a season since 2000. It's so easy to win there as you state, that ISU had an impressive record of 5-73-2 against Oklahoma in their history before Campbell took over. The Big 12 is probably the second best conference this year, so I don't get being dismissive of winning there at any school. In case you forgot, a team that's currently third in the Big 12 spanked us earlier this year, and took us to OT at the Coliseum last year with a true freshman QB en route to a 7-6 season in a year where we won the Pac 12.

5. TrojanManDan132

TrojanManDan132 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    JDR will have great success here. Looking forward to his positive impact on our program.

The Lizard King likes this.
  6. RRDub

RRDub Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Let's hope not......we have suffered enough

hustleman likes this.
  7. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    It seems that, in the nfl, the great defensive coaches are truly “bend but don’t break” coaches. Middle of the pack in yards against, top of the pack in points against. This is a little different from college, the best defenses seem to dominate in both categories, but with the recruits jdr could get on defense, we could have one of those defenses. I have been saying for a long time, given the talent on the west coast, a defense first coach who recruits nationwide is what we need. California is deep with offensive talent and usc will always get more than its fair share.
    Our current staff and the staffs before, seem to be in love with wrs, they waste a fifth of the class on them.

8. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    I like all the numbers and stats, but these are with guys that were trained well enough to make their NFL squads - no matter how crappy or good the team was. Can JDR gather a staff of coordinators that can properly train kids out of high school to play to their potential and get that swagger/confidence that great teams have? I have no idea. I'm actually more interested in the "potential JDR staff" talk. Like we currently see, the coach is soft, the team is soft. If we can agree that JDR won't be soft and hire assistants that can train and relate to kids, it will certainly be a lot better than the awful prep they are getting now.

9. FightOn1992

FightOn1992 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    You are kidding right? I gave the whole list to have an honest assessment of his track record. You realize that after 2007 (which was over a decade ago) that in the last decade he literally had 7 of 10 years with rankings in the 20's (bottom 3rd of the league). You can make an argument that he was good at one point but that at best the current game has passed his defensive style.

If you want too cherry pick - then look at his last five years:
    2013 Den - Points 22nd, Yards 19th
    2014 Den - Points 16th, Yards 3rd
    2015 Oak - Points 22nd, Yards 22nd
    2016 Oak - Points 30th, Yards 27th
    2017 Oak - Points 20th, Yards 23rd

This is not remotely impressive.

10. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Kidding? No, not kidding.

The Oakland numbers are meaningless. This was Oakland before he got there:

yards points
    2012 18 28
    2013 22 29
    2014 21 32

And this year, without him:
    2018 24 30

You're saying the problem with Oakland was Jack Del Rio? Oakland has been a grease fire for years. The franchise had gone 13 years without a single winning season before he got there and had a 12-4 season in his second year. If you're trying to prove he's bad because of stats in Oakland, I'm not sure you're making your point. Everybody has been bad in Oakland.

Denver is potentially another story, because Denver's defense was statistically very good after he left. I don't know enough about the Broncos roster or the changes that were made to know what changed. Maybe he was at fault in Denver.

But what I think the overall numbers show is that he was at least a competent defensive coach in the NFL. A competent NFL coordinator has adequate X's and O's expertise to be a college head coach. Whether he has the other necessary qualities, I don't know. And he wouldn't be my first choice because we don't know. But the fact that his Oakland teams gave up a lot of points doesn't disqualify him.

The Lizard King likes this.
  11. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Good points. If you look at the games the Trojans actually played well in (few and far between) their tackling was crisp, they were physical. As you said, our team is soft. You play like you practice. They are not used to being pressed all the time, which leads to breakdowns and mental mistakes.
    In my opinion, with the talent that SC pulls in, we don't need a "homerun" hire, we just need a good coach - one capable of developing players of all skill types - a coach who returns physicality to our practices - one who the players respect - not just because he is a nice guy, but because there will be consequences if ya mess up.
    If Helton had let go his OC and Callaway last year and put in better assistants - he might not have been in this situation. I just dont see it happening with him any longer. I'm just concerned that SC will choose anyone, just to make a change....... but, then again, as I said before, restore physical practices, have open competition for all positions throughout the year, focus on the big uglies, not the skill positions so much, and it will be better than this....

12. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Please don't tell me we paid $800K to a head hunter to find Del Rio?