Iowa players making demand of fans.

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by KANDI11, Jun 9, 2020.

2. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    I reminded of an event from the 1950s --

George L. Cross, president of the U of Oklahoma, in defending a budget request to the combined appropriations committee of the State Legislature, gave history: ''We want to build a university our football team can be proud of.''

History doesn't repeat itself, but it often sure does rhyme.

3. Arthur Jury

Arthur Jury Points Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Its Time for BDS - Boycott Divest Sell- of all professional sports that have basically told us if you don't support what we do, even if it is against your beliefs- that they don't want you as fans. Well OK then ... Maybe it's time to include college athletics in that too. I am living fine without sports as are a lot of people; and pro sports are clearly comfortable in excluding at least half of their (former) fans in the future.

RPBSC and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    I would like to comment on this but Erik wants politics off of the front page.

5. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    I think you'll find you'll quickly be limited to few things in life going forward. You'll have to quit all college/pro sports (except Nascar), quit just about all music artists in the last 20-30 yrs, quit most movies/shows, quit buying anything from China and on and on.

There's not much space left for the holdouts that don't support change. I do agree there will be overreactions/overshoot/a bridge too far on the change being asked, but there's no room left for status quo.

I always find it peculiar that some on here loved what PC was able to accomplish, but didn't support any of his personal beliefs nor really championed his causes. As long as PC's actions didn't directly contradict their views or force them to pick a side, they just made snide comments about PC being a lefty and continued basking in their SC pride and the wins that came with it.

Iowa is going through some shizz right now, not sure where that program will be on the other end. Talk about a fanbase/region that doesn't much align with the star players they bring in. Has always been an awkward symbiotic relationship.Well now, it's time to address it and say "What are we asking of each other, who has the leverage, is the ask reasonable, who atones for the sins committed, what were those sins"? Long overdue IMO.

Apparently a Clemson coach used the "N" word (not at a player, but as a correction reportedly), and that's just not ok. Coach Swinney reportedly wore a shirt that read "Football Matters", which may sound innocuous to some, but a condescending gut-punch to others.

What side of the fence are you on? Would you openly admit to it with your personal name/business? Can you defend your position publicly (or just in an anonymous chat site)?

It was reported the Iowa Strength Coach told a player : "Maybe you should take up rowing or something you know? Oh wait, Black people don't like boats in water, do they?" This is coming from a University coach making $800k a year and the highest paid in the country.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    aimeedee likes this.
  6. KeenObserver

Jun 9, 2020
    Hey asshole, what part of Erik's request that politics not be on the front page? This used to to be your big deal until it wasn't. Respect the publisher, log into your alternate handle and discuss on the OT.

DJ4SC and SCBIGTIME like this.
  7. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    I'm confident even David Patrick Underwood, whose name gets used by some would ask for a change to the status quo. I'm sure he and his family would ask those using his name and felt the way they did, to stop doing so. Just say'n...

8. KeenObserver

Jun 9, 2020
    Don't change the subject, just honor the publisher request, which was always your philosophy until it wasn't. Not everything has to be a back and forth argument. Maybe I should just report the thread, instead.

9. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Thank you Erik for running a solid discussion board and moderating when needed. Thank you for allowing posters like me & @aimeedee to have dialogue w/ our fellow Trojans and not starting an ignore campaign against us.

You're a true mensch!

aimeedee likes this.
  10. KeenObserver

Jun 9, 2020
    Dude you are so typical. Lie and obfuscate when you have an untenable position. Allow me to correct you on one thing aimee has half the OT on ignore. That is an ignore campaign. You are not on any type of ignore campaign as far as I know. I certainly don't ignore you. However Erik DID POST that he wants these sensitive topics off of the main board. Did you see that? Yes or no?

11. KeenObserver

Jun 9, 2020
    Not that's funny...and worth a boycott.

12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    I wish I had, that was brutal!

13. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Skipped Holiday since knew our HC looked good beating weak sisters of PAC. After duck game Taylor’s Steak didn’t taste good because of replays on TV & everybody groaned. Our waiter said sorry about TV replays.

14. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Hey Erik, not that you need my permission but I’m ok to move this subject post to the OT Board.

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Amazing....so many instances over the years of players abusing girlfriends and using sexual violence against other women but they never spoke up, ratted each other out, encouraged protesting of the mishandled complaints. NOW they want full support?

I am so glad I stopped giving to USC Athletics and USC years ago.

16. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Hey Erik, since this post pertains to Iowa FB, involves Clemson FB and relates to topics that pertain to USC players past & present, I'd be OK with you leaving the post where it is so it sees the light of day.

SC has had a long storied history of being on the right side of history, whether it's McKay showing Bryant what a racially integrated team is capable of:

https://dailytrojan.com/2019/02/27/how-one-night-in-birmingham-changed-college-football-in-the-south/

Or PC's advocacy for the inner-city, his support of the black community and how timely - community policing:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2663949-pete-carrolls-lasting-usc-legacy-his-impact-beyond-football

I take pride in those, they are very much football-related. WeAreSC! Fight On!

aimeedee likes this.
  17. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Now that this topic was moved to the OT, I concur with the BDS sentiment.

I refuse to be kowtowed to support absurd positions. Let these immature activists cut off their noses to fully spite their own faces.

18. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Veebs, it's Black Lives Matter not Female Lives Matter. Write your check to TAF and check your privilege.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  19. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Jun 9, 2020
    The timing could not have been more fortuitous for them.

When they play before 25% capacity, it's social distancing that's the reason.

DJ4SC and SCBIGTIME like this.