Iosefa embracing his move to the middle

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Jul 19, 2019
    I really like some of this the more I think about it. Mostly I thought it was wrong that they wanted to move #1 outside. But I think they're right on all these moves. Iosefa is going to blow up as a MLb. This D is way higher ceiling than anyone's comfortable talking right now I think.

2. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Jul 20, 2019
    I'm thinking we may play a lot of sets with only 1 olb and a rush end like Drake Jackson or Rector more often than with lining up with 2 olbs like in past years.

Not saying I know that for sure, but that's the sense I get.

I do wonder why juliano falaniko's goes name always gets left out when discussing the linebackers. Don't know all that much about him but he's a big violent kid and can run so I'm thinking there's some potential there. And the kid is now in his third year so the light should be coming on at this point.

I said the same thing about Jacob Lichtenstein. he seems more like a DE body type, but they played him more on the inside last year. He's another good-looking athlete with a great motor. He's got length and huge levers. He's another kid who's in his third year who should be coming into his own this season. Of course, that remains to be seen, which is I guess the story for this whole team but Hope springs eternal during the spring and summer I guess.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 21, 2019
    I think we're definitely going to see more looks of a pure front four this year, with all defensive linemen.

Falaniko was a little bit of a forgotten man this spring. He, like Iosefa and Kana'i Mauga, was another guy moved from outside to inside and he was with the third unit. I remember a couple times where he flashed, but it wasn't as often as the other linebackers. I think he has a chance to be a real special teams asset this year, but there are a lot of named to climb over on the depth chart to see significant time on defense.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  4. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Try this - Rector LDE Drake Jackson RDE Tufele NG Echols LOLB or Predator Houston and Iosefa in the middle and Gaoteote at ROLB and on passing downs take out Iosefa and put a Nichol back in there.