Interesting stat....

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Pudly76, Aug 10, 2019.

2. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Aug 10, 2019
    That is surprising. But maybe also a sign of the unpredictability of our offense last year. If you rely on Big plays that means you do not have long sustained drives which also wears down your defense.

3. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Aug 10, 2019
    This also was the result of the inability of our Oline to establish the run game so the defenses stacked the line of scrimmage forcing JT to throw the long ball. This is also one of the reasons why JT was picked the starter last year because he was the most accurate on the long ball.
    Fight On!

4. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Aug 10, 2019
    I'll take a stab at it. From the perspective of opposing D's, we always made feint movements and paid lip service to a run game and they were caught a little off guard more often when when went vertical through the air on them, and so more plays were "explosive" which really means how many yards they went for when it did happen. This is not to be confused with overall production. For example, I bet we had close to last place in 3rd down conversions and 4th down conversions to keep drives alive leading to scoring. So as long as they kept our explosive plays in front of them, they weren't torched by these explosive plays.

5. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Everybody nailed it. As far as WSU, they were a ball-control offense, mostly short passes and using their RBs as receivers. Minshew was a 70-73% passer, if I remember correctly.

6. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 11, 2019
    The other stat that might accompany this is that Washington State finished No. 2 in the Pac-12 in yards per play, while USC was No. 7.

Based on what we’ve seen so far this spring, I think there’s a likelihood that USC’s receivers have the ability to do more with the ball after the catch than Washington State’s.

21 is a tough number to match, but I’ll be surprised if USC finishes the year with eight or fewer.