Interesting read on JT

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by Jay4usc, Nov 8, 2018 at 9:04 PM.

2. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:35 PM
    Very good article and that is exactly what Helton needs to realize. What made JT special at Mater Dei was that he called his own plays and had a hand in everything on the offense. Right now, JT is not playing with rhythm or at the level he can because he's probably second guessing everything that the coaches are doing or calling. Prohaska is correct in saying that JT worked with much more intelligent and football savvy people before coming to USC. Smart people will always question people that are not as smart.

JT is not going to be successful at USC unless Helton turns him loose and gives him more freedom in controlling the offense.

3. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:39 PM
    This is real football now. Not an advantaged high school kid who had what seemed to be the "best" help for him to succeed.

4. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:59 PM
    No. This is college football, where most defenses can and will make you look bad if you are bad. Everything JT has learned from these so called "guru's" have not translated to his game as a college quarterback, and, one can say they didn't teach him good enough as his mechanics are off.

JT needs to play within the confines of this offense. Not Mater Dei. If the offensive line is bad, recognize that and change your game. If you can't change your game, then you are not the right fit for the team. You need a team who can protect you. USC isn't it right now. Offensive schemes, etc can only take you so far as other teams will catch up to what you're doing.

Take Alabama 2016. Blake Barnett was the starting QB against SC. The same line protected him and Jalen Hurts. We all saw who didn't belong.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:32 AM
    JT said he is not Sam. He needs solid OL .

gubo&palanka and Pudly76 like this.
  6. reaLchaZZZy

reaLchaZZZy Junior Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:39 AM
    JT is a true Freshman. Even Sam had 1 year and 3 games his 2nd season before he made his first start . JT is going to be fine and he will make the Team better with this season under his belt and he assumes more of a leadership role next year.

in2nation and Pudly76 like this.
  7. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:53 AM
    Good point. If Barnett stays in that game, I can almost guarantee Bama struggles to score more than 30 points. The game changed as soon as Saban pulled Blake for Hurts. It was crazy to see Bama's offense take on a whole different identity with a true duel threat at QB.

8. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:57 AM
    Very interesting. And frankly a tad off-putting. Not sure how I feel about this Prohaska guy.

JT seems like a bright, incredibly hardworking kid but also a bit complicated. Will be interesting to see how he battles through these growing pains.

9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:46 AM
    Blake Barnett sucked. Jalen Hurts sucked less. So there is that.

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  10. Lucas

Lucas Points Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:46 AM
    How many times was Daniels hurried, hit or sacked while at Mater Dei?

11. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    Daniels doesn't throw to his backs or tight ends when the reads are there and those positions are easy targets to move the chains. He's wide receiver centric and addicted to deep vertical passes, fades, and back shoulder routes. When defenses take those elements away it's been pretty much Daniels' kryponite. He's not going to run or dink and dunk to loosen up the defense to help himself. Sorry to tell ya, but that's the hallmark of an inexperienced quarterback who isn't thinking. I hope he's not exacerbating his inexperience with being too "smart" that he's un-coachable. 10th game as USC's starting QB, no longer is he a freshman rep-wise. He has to show more and do more than hope for the big play down field. Daniels has not taken command of the offense.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    Plus, he missed his whole senior year of high level high school football......so yeah, lots of growing pains he's experiencing now...and with the OL the way it is, well....

13. USC1994

USC1994 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:34 AM
    This looks like a combo of Toddy M, Rob Johnson, Barkley ... or worse. Kid needs a r-shirt year, if some one proves to be better ( already have Sears) than so be it. Why are all these gurus no names or failed players ?

14. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 9, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    JT is not the right QB for this offense.

While reading this, I had a thought about the two Matts from MD: Leinart and Barkley.

One had great success with the best possible situation at SC and took an nfl paycheck for 7 years, never really panning out.

The other had modest success under difficult conditions at SC and is still (barely) collecting an nfl paycheck.

What was the difference? Coaching, depth and a killer defense for Leinart. Coaching, (no) depth and an average defense for Barkley.

They probably had the same potential but it was primarily coaching and defense that determined their success.

The USC left tackle who let that ucla guy pancake Barkley didn't help either. What was that guy's name? From Ohio?

15. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    My feelings exactly...what type of "spiritual adviser" tells ALL after he's confided in?
    "And he thinks he has answers to fix things, but he doesn’t have any say over it, any power to do it."
    Seriously, this dude's looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

Beat Cal!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

16. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:41 AM
    Article seems to shed a bad light on SC's QB coach Ellis. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of confidence in his knowledge or expertise.

17. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    You can analyze JT all you want,the bottom line is we have a pathetic offensive line. Yes, JT is a transitioning freshmen and I said before the season started that I hope Helton has a plan with the run game to take pressure of any quarterback whether it is JT, Fink, or Sears. Well that did not happen. Hell Fink went in one half and got tagged with broken ribs.
    If there is one person to be held accountable with this mess it falls on Helton for taking so long to get rid of Callaway. You can add the horrible play calling and a QB coach that belongs on a high school team because I do not see a genius in him either.
    Now let’s take this one step further. Let’s go beyond JT and look at Steph Carr. I know he came off of back surgery, but he was suppose to be the replacement to Ronald Jones. Look where we are with that. I really hope he does not put in a transfer request because I do not see any Oline prospects that are going to make this a better situation next season other then Scott Rodriquez.
    We can bitch about JT’s play, but look at the challenges facing him. A pathetic Oline, questionable play calling, and an inexperienced QB coach. Maybe Sears and Fink may fair better with their legs, but eventually those 3 factors above will catch up with them. We better pay attention to Carr as I would be thinking of his thoughts of possibly transferring.
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  18. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    JT started since his freshman year at MD.....putting up insane numbers. I really don't think playing 1 more year in HS helps him a bit. He was always going to have growing pains at this level because of how good the OL and system was at MD.

JayRobs 88 likes this.
  19. JayRobs 88

JayRobs 88 Points Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:43 PM
    8 8
    Ellis needs to go. The QB's follow their script and say the right things about him, but the reality is they don't respect him and don't think he has the knowledge or temperament to develop them.

JT has a team of private coaches, including the sports psychologist that work mostly with pro quarterbacks. This same team, minus Adam Dedeaux, may better serve JT by not giving pump pieces to the press. Jordan Palmer did the kid no favors by saying USC would see NO drop off in QB play if JT was named starter this year. That is insinuating that JT was as good Sept 1 as Darnold was when he left.

If the hype is the problem than maybe the Daniels team should have pumped the brakes since last spring. They wanted the hype as it almost assured them JT would be the opening day starter.

I wanted him to start as well given all I read about how he was the USC savior, smarter than his coaches, and a can't miss top prospect. I have seen this movie before.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  20. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:31 PM
    And look what Jalen did to USC. We must really suck!