increasingly clear that Bohn isn't the bad guy

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by BehindSunset, Dec 31, 2019.

1. increasingly clear that Bohn isn't the bad guy
    BehindSunset

BehindSunset Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    It's becoming patently obvious that Bohn doesn't want Helton any more than USC alums and fans do. So the question becomes is this on Folt or the BOT? I'll say this: the BOT has been in charge during the Haden, Swann, Kiffin, Sark and Helton hires. Pretty incriminating if you ask me, and add to that they were in charge during all the scandals. I detest Helton as much as the next guy but it's so obvious this is the fault of the good old boys club at SC - disgusting, corrupt idiots who don't even have the common sense to be corrupt and at least win (e.g the SEC). What a bunch of dumbasses our leaders are. Seriously inept.

2. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Dec 31, 2019
    If what you are saying is true Bohn should resign instead of looking like a spineless dolt..
    It would help is resume and help him to look himself in the mirror
    ... let the BOT put Lopes in charge so he can complete the dismantling of football program

Jose, OC2SC, Gjimmy and 6 others like this.
  3. djgcue

djgcue Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Just curious, but how is it obvious that Bohn doesn't want Helton? I haven't seen anything from Bohn that would support that view.

4. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Apart from the fact that Bohn has taken over the search for a DC., you mean?

There have been several articles out there that said Bohn would have fired Helton if he could have, for what they're worth.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  5. BuTrojan

BuTrojan Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I hear what you’re saying. I wonder why Bohn would have taken the job if he had no autonomy. One would think this was discussed during the interview process. Altho I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right

TrojanDrive likes this.
  6. ThorinHB

ThorinHB Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    That is bs I have it from a personal friend inside his dept that he stated early in his tenure that keeping Helton was a real possibility . He made the decision based on a number of factors including that no viable coach wanted the job in the current state that the athletic dept is in. . They need to build the foundation and clean house including lopes . They already demoted him

7. JayBird23

JayBird23 Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Is there one person who will ever come forward and spill the beans? Behind USC football-the inside story. Someone or probably a lot of people are keeping their mouths shut. I assume the players have been warned not to say anything desparaging about Helton and his ways but someone on the inside could probably sell a lot of books. It's a little sleezy I admit but I'd buy the book and watch the soap opera. Come to think of it, I wish ESPN would follow next year's team. New coaches, spring practice, QB comp, and of course Clay Helton and his preparation for Alabama. My DVR is set. HNY! Everybody!

8. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    It’ll be part of the Hard Knocks series except this time they’ll be filming it from the fan’s perspective...

9. BehindSunset

Dec 31, 2019
    Re-read what you just wrote, which actually supports my position. You're arguing Bohn wants to keep Helton but is looking for a viable coach to replace him, and looking to clean house so they can find that viable coach (to replace him)? Sure, sounds like Bohn really wants to keep Helton. Thanks for proving my point. Laughable.

Esthersar likes this.
  10. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019

I can only speak to rumors that were circulated by “people who know” ...supposedly.

More than one guy intimated that there was obvious friction between admins leading up to Helton being retained...one said Bohn was “livid”.

I thought it curious that Bohn merely announced Helton staying with a Tweet, instead of a more personal announcement....weird?

Anyway, someone knows the story...it’s not me. But, friction seems totally believable due to the extended time frame and weak announcement/backing by admins.

Bohn saying no other coach was contacted seems incredulous....but totally in line with this whole charade.

VELOSH82 and BehindSunset like this.
  11. 87trojan

87trojan Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    What is so unbelievable is that members of the BOT aren't unsuccessful, clueless idiots. It does make you wonder what they consider success now for USC Athletics in general, and USC Football in partiuclar. How they don't get the notion that the vast majority of USC fans, followers and supporters wanted this guy LONG GONE over a year ago.

You have the sick sense that they will keep this stooge in place for another couple years if he wins just enough to look competitive at 7-5 or 8-4. USC used to be about aspiring to be the best. Those days appear to be in the past, and it is a crying shame.

12. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Is there a credible source that Bohn instead of Helton is going to hire the next DC? Links? He seemed pretty happy with Clay after a few wins.

I think he made the decision to keep Helton, and now no matter what anybody says, he’s stubbornly refusing to reconsider, even though it’s clear Helton is not a good coach, recruiting is a mess, and things will continue to slide downward until there’s a new head coach.

Bohn needs to step back, engage in some introspection, listen to others, and rip the band-aid off.

13. BehindSunset

Dec 31, 2019
    What did Helton say about firing Baxter and Clancy? He (stupidly) tried to throw Bohn under the bus by saying that he consulted Bohn before firing them - read between the lines and it's clear Bohn forced him to fire them. Bohn made him do it, and rightfully so.

14. BehindSunset

Dec 31, 2019
    The members of the BOT have been in charge during all the scandals (do I really have to list them) then retained Max as a lifetime member of the BOT and loaned him money for his next mansion. The BOT is filthy with old, corrupt dirty money. And they can't even win with it, unlike the south. That makes them corrupt and stupid. If you're going to be dirty at least win. They disgust me, and if you're a true Trojan after everything we've witnessed these last few years, you'd be disgusted too. Bunch of assholes.

15. 87trojan

87trojan Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Yeah it does seem to be a dirty old boys club. It is amazing that we had two former legends screw up so royally as AD's, and we had scandal after scandal the last few years. In some ways, I'm glad my dad is no longer around to have witnessed this train wreck. He would really be sickened by seeing what Max Nikias did to the University.

16. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Lol he is who he is. He is getting paid big money, just like Helton, just like Folt.

There are no bad guys in this shit show. Lol

17. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Getting a big paycheck, lol. sC is hopeless

18. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    You can’t have a job search without an open position. There is no way to fully gauge interest without firing Clay first. Most coaches will not lobby or openly discuss a position held by another of their colleagues. It’s just bad form. I know it happens, but it much more above board when the decision to terminate has already been made.

I tend to think Bohn has been hamstrung, but he’s making too much money to quit or fight city hall. However somebody needs to own the suck that is Clay.

19. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    So what are you saying, there’s a devil looking over his shoulder? Ok I’m with you, it is

20. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    I think you're dead wrong here. Coaches have agents, so these discussions are always done via third-party channels: A rep from the AD reaches out to the agent saying, "What are your client's terms?" I think the OP's hypothesis is likely correct in that Bohn gathered enough intel from this preliminary search to determine that the candidates he was interested in were demanding terms (e.g. salary, assistants salary, athletic department investments, operational control, etc.) that would be unacceptable to Folt and/or the BOT.

That said, even if Bohn isn't a baddie, his announcement about keeping Helton was tone-deaf and hardened the opposition of the fan base, many of whom were already emotionally prepping for USC deciding to retain Helton. The bitter news would have gone down better if there was stronger acknowledgement that recent results were not reflective of USC's ambitions, critical changes must be made, and Helton was on a short leash. Instead, we got a Twitter-announcement that was chock-full of run-of-the-mill PR BS.

Alfa1, The Garage Mahal and Sam Bam like this.