In What Year Did You Become a USC Football Fan?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by SColdtimer, Jul 8, 2017.

1. In What Year Did You Become a USC Football Fan?
    SColdtimer

SColdtimer Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I just finished reading through all my football magazines. My daughters always give me a gift card to Barnes and Nobles every Father's day, so I can buy all the different football magazines on the rack.

I went to my first USC game in 1951. Frank Gifford was playing for USC, and the Trojans had just beat Cal away from home. Cal was ranked #1. USC lost to Stanford at the Coliseum. I went with my dad and step grandpa. My dad grew up in Iowa. so at that time he was still a Iowa fan and a Ram fan.

The Rams won the NFL title in 1951 and had one of the greatest offenses in NFL history.

My mom, who will be 96 July 19th, said when I came home from the USC football game, I asked her to teach me to read, so I could read about the Trojans in the sport's page.

Life's made up of having things to look forward to. Hope is the best medicine there is. USC turned out a great team in 1952 losing only to ND in freezing weather back at South Bend. January 1953 are my first memories of the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl Game. I can still remember being on my dad's shoulders watching the parade.

Every year the players and coaches at USC stand on the shoulders of all the greats who went on before them.

I'm hoping for a great year in 2017. If we learned anything from the 2017 Rose Bowl it's this, QB Sam Darnold showed true greatness in the 4th quarter of that game. Anytime you have a player that good with his hands on the ball, you have a chance to do something really special.

I'll be 70 July 14th, but I haven't lost any of the enthusiasm for CFB I felt as a 4 year old wanting to learn how to read. What could be better than a game where you knock people over?

Fight On!

2. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    People born in July are the most awesome people on earth...Except for that one dude, but I won't get political ;)

3. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    2001, the year my cousin signed.
    I never thought USC would turn to be the powerhouse we would become though.
    It was still fun to be a fan, watching your cousin play a part on one of the best teams in the nation and arguably of the decade.

4. CurtC

CurtC Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I was around 5-6 years old, so had to be 1960-1961. My family was from Pasadena, and my blue-collar Dad was a fan. He took me to 1 or 2 games a year, and I always remember the people in the neighborhoods next to the Coliseum letting us park on their front lawns for a couple of bucks. Saw some great players and games - lots of wonderful memories.

5. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1984-1985. I tuned in to watch Gaston Green play and ended up following their opponent. I guess I was genetically programed to follow the C&G.

6. Lomarq4SC

Lomarq4SC Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    In 1978 my brother would wake me up at 11:00 pm and we'd watch USC, still remember Charles White run, spin and score. Around that time we called #42 the guy who stole the other team's playbook. Ronnie Lott, because he always stopped plays.

7. lagunabear

lagunabear Senior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I was 14 and visiting my Uncle Bill Culver. I was out from Minnesota and he took me to two USC games during my 3 weeks here, and that was in 1960. After being a Big 10 lover since birth, I converted quickly. Let's see, that would be 57 years ago.

8. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1977. Always wanted to go to Cal-L.A., but they didn't have undergraduate business and ours of course, was renowned, especially in L.A. Trust in God, He will always steer you towards the light.

9. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Jul 8, 2017
    1979. i was in junior high and a friend of mine had a father who worked at USC and he gave me tickets to the UCLA game, which SC won big. But then he wasn't using his Rose Bowl tickets for the game against Ohio State so he passed them along too, I watched Charles run for 247 against the Buckeyes and I was hooked.

10. uscmike5524

uscmike5524 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1969 Rose Bowl. I was 7, but already a sports junkie. I was watching the game and for whatever reason just fell in love with those uniforms. Even though they lost that day, the Trojans became my #1 team in any sport. I have never looked back and have only become more passionate as the years have passed!

11. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1961 was first year that I can remember watching and listening to the Trojans. They had a losing record that year under Coach McKay. But, they had a lot of kids that were going to be returning in 1962. Willie Brown, Ben Wilson, Ken Del Conte, Marv Marinovich, Damon Bane, Pete Bethard, Hal Bedsole. I remember that I had a cousin who had boyfriend that had played at ucla. At Christmas party, after the 61 season, he asked me who I thought would have good team. I told him that I thought USC would do well because they had a lot of returning players. He said they always have great players but don't ever win. Of course the next year they were undefeated and National Champs.

12. Doug Stewart

Doug Stewart Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1975 I transferred from Uof MI where I was a freshman '74-'75. Watching Ricky Bell and the Rosebowl (when Charles White came in when Ricky went down) was great. Been a Trojan ever since.

13. 655321

655321 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I was a fan at birth, but didnt know it being dad and gramps were alums. Started going to games in 1974 as infant with fam and I count that as my start date.

14. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    In the early 1950's my uncle was the USC student body president and a member of the yell team. He let me practice the Southern California yell with his cardinal megaphone. I attended a few games in the Col as a young child watching the game with grandpa and dad. It was so much fun to see the game but I was focused on my uncle leading the fans to cheer for USC. As I matured into a teenager I watched the McKay teams and knew USC was where I wanted to attend school. I was so excited when I received my admission acceptance letter. Even though my uncle, grandpa and dad are long gone, my memories of becoming a Trojan fan are strong. Staring with the Western Michighan game it will be time to use my uncle's cardinal megaphone and yell out "... what that spell? SOUTHERN CALI-FOR-NIA!!!"
    Fight 'On!

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    It's not polite to ask a lady her age.

16. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Maybe 67 or 68. We only had 3 channels in my hometown growing up, so you watched what was on. Saturday morning there was always an ABC college game of the week and on Sundays there was the Notre Dame recap game. As a youth I mistrusted that Notre Dame summarized recap game. Notre Dame always won and it seemed rigged to me-- like 'big time wrestling.' I was too young and didn't understand football well enough...but at the same time it set me up perfectly...

USC was the first team that caught my attention in a positive way. OJ reigned supreme...student body right.

17. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I've been a USC football fan for long as I can remember. My earliest memories of USC football are from the 1972 team, which would mean I was 7 years old.

18. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1974. It was the 55-24 game that hooked me in.

19. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    On the east coast watched OJ & Traveler run wide, sold me . Went to SC & had to bear McKay's team 6 win . My old Daily Trojans remind me many McKay teams played in front of 50-60k crowds.

20. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1951???!!! Holy crap, you are old. My first game was '63 or '64. I'd have to check the media guide. It was the Ohio St. game back then.

21. norcalsurfer408

norcalsurfer408 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    2000. I was a bookworm entering grammar school prior to this point and my parents had no connection to USC, let alone to sports. I thought the Tommy Trojan drum major was awesome considering at the time I had a huge interest in Greco-Roman history.

22. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I caught on in 1964, at the age of 8....but Mike Garrett turned me on forever in 1965.

23. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Another July birthday here, family was USC long before I arrived (except my dad, who wore a brune uniform after coming home from the War. I brought him to his senses by the time I got to USC.)

First game I vividly remember was seeing Jon Arnett run back the opening kickoff against the brunes in 55, only to have it nullified on an offsides call. I have never seen that called again on a receiving team, msybe it has been, but U did not see it.

I have detested ucly ever since, in truth I did before it happened

24. SCinDE

SCinDE Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1960....but I don't remember a thing. My parents had season tickets from the 50s through 2003. I was born in May, and attended my first game that fall. I have very specific recollections of being very small and being carried to the games on my dad's shoulders. We parked a few blocks from the Coliseum on the same gentleman's lawn for about 40 years. Later, if we didn't see him, we simply paid him next time. I attended every home game and every rose bowl SC played in from 1960 through 1979, one or two away games a year, and many, many thereafter.

When I moved East, through no choice of my own, I didn't realize how much I would miss it. After a few years, I started planning my trips to LA around SC's home schedule so I could catch a game or two. I was absolutely ecstatic when this year's schedule was finally announce and the Standford & Texas games were scheduled a week apart. By chance, I happened on to the school website the morning two game packages went on sale and quickly grabbed 4 tickets to both games. I also have flights, hotel, etc. for South Bend (but still need game tickets).

Being on the East it wasn't always easy, but my kids are now hooked (albeit the one at ASU has taken a small hiatus). The oldest and I have made a habit of attending the ND away games. This will be our 4th trip together, as I made the same trip with my parents several times in my youth. I am so glad I established the tradition with him, as it is a great bonding time. This will be the first year we have allowed spouses/significant others to attend.

I'm glad to be part of a wonderful tradition....but I am afraid that with the new administration at the school that may be slipping away.

FIGHT ON!

25. West Slope Trojan

West Slope Trojan Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Had season tickets starting in 1957 when I was 4. Only place I going to college. My father was class of '31, my sister class of '57, my brother class of '65 and I was class of '75. That doesn't include my brother-in-law and nieces and nephews. My father, brother, and me all had national championships in football when we were there and was on the 30 yard line watching the greatest football game in college history - the 1974 defeat of the whiners and excuse makers from South Bend. God I hate that school.

26. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 8, 2017
    1948 when I went up to USC from Compton JC as a Junior engineering student . I was used to good football because Compton , under coach Tay Brown had a National JC Champion football program in those days. That USC 1948 football season ended with a 14-14 tie with ND in the Coli. USC did beat UCLA the week before . , USC's football coach in those times was Jeff Cravath. However, before that time, as early as 1936, I was a listener to USC football on radio growing up in SF Valley and attending John Burroughs Jr. High. At that time I already knew I wanted to go to USC some day.

27. BvB09

BvB09 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1974-75...somewhere in that period.

28. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1972..........watched the Trojans visit at Illinois......it was men against boys....... they were all class on the field. Illinois had more criminals than the Vice lords.

29. scdg71

scdg71 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Haven't been around as long as the Oldtimer but can say I've been an Alum as a response ... season ticket holder ... and donor for almost 50 years. So take that old man.

I came in with Clark

FWIW ... My scholarship son is a 3rd generation (2 SC grandmas).

I don't get this bragging and a diatribe about being old. ???

30. gross1767

gross1767 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1965 when I saw my first USC game on TV. I can't remember the game I saw, but turned me into a USC fan then.

31. billtrojan

billtrojan Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Rodney Peete years

32. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1966/67 living in San Francisco I think you know why at this point, nuff said

33. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1970s. At that time, I still thought of football as a game played with a round ball but became a USC fan after watching a game on TV; don't remember the reason though!

34. Huntinton Beach Fan

Huntinton Beach Fan Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Mid-1950's when we moved to Santa Monica from Merced snd I was in the 8th grade. I absorbed any football news, which wasn't much, but I quickly noticed that no matter what ucla did they always got front page coverage and minimal criticism in the sports section. I also noticed that USC was always relegated to the back pages with mostly criticism and minimal praise (no matter what the team accomplished). It was the Red Sanders era and the media worshiped the fruins. That glaring bias forged my distain for ucla and allegiance to USC. I have only become more fanatical across the years with no end in sight.

Fight On!

HBF

35. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Although my screen name says fan since Arnett, I actually became a fan about 1952.

36. louiebag

louiebag Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I became a fan in 1998 I was in middle school and I came up on a used play station after betting one of my friends. I got the play station along with NCAAF 1998 one of my fav teachers always had USC gear in our classroom I didn't hesitate to use the Trojans when I started to play the game. From that point I'm not only did I become a Trojan fan but I became a fan of football as well. I came up on a play station and became a Trojan for life that was a good day.

37. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Early 60's when I saw USC beat Baylor at the Coli. Sealed the deal with the '63 RB win over Wisconsin.
    My first SC Rose Bowl.

Paul, where in Iowa did your dad grow up?
    My dad was from Sioux City.

38. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1962 as a 7th grader. Went to my first SC game as part of High School Band Day (USC vs. Pitt). At that point, I already knew I was going to USC. My first home game as a student was 1968 against Miami and Ted Hendricks. My first game as a recently-graduated season ticket holder was against Duke in 1975. I never really gave much thought to the possibility that season tickets would NOT be part of my life...until now. Depending on what happens with the re-model and my new season ticket location, it may be ending soon.

39. uscvoice

uscvoice Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1962! seemed like a good time to start.

40. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017

I was in second grade and my parents took me to Disneyland in December

On Main Street I saw northwestern marching band playing and doing their thing.

I thought they were so cool.

Then I saw the TMB and the rest as they say is history.

41. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I was a fan before then but I became a fanatic after my dad took me to the 1963 Rose Bowl, the second-greatest Rose Bowl of all time, IMO. I was 11 years old.

42. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    67. Sogge, Simpson, Battle

43. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1985. That year I was tickled that Larry Fox of the Trojan Marching Band "recruited" me to the same school that Lynn Swann and Marcus Allen attended. Rodney Peete was my first quarterback. Peete2Affholter? I was there, in our (then) new uniforms, screaming my voice hoarse. TMB members felt you didn't give enough at the game unless you left your voice on the field. I remember marching into Cal's memorial stadium with a plastic bag of flour strapped to my ankle, and then ripping it open, leaving the shape of our USC formation on the golden bear field. Awesome.

Countless home and away games later, I can't imagine the fans of any other college football team knowing the joy or the expectations that come from following our beloved Trojans.

44. Frisco

Frisco Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Reggie Bush days. Was in 6th grade and just started getting hooked on to College Football.

45. george the tirebiter

george the tirebiter Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Went to my first USC gsme in 1966. I was 9 and just starting fifth grade. USC v Cal. Arrived for the freshman game. Mike Holmgren was the USC qb. He never played much, if at all on the varsity. I think Troy Winslow was the qb, and Rod Sherman and Jimmy Lawrence his main targets. The next year was OJ. Hooked so bad, only sent out 1 college application 7 years later.

I remember my parents going to the 64 USC ND game. I listened to it somewhat with my grandfather. I even recall my dad listening to the USC ucla game on the radio in 63. Larry Zeno was the bruin qb. 63 was when I started following sports. I remember the Dodgers battling St. Luis for the pennant, before sweeping the Yanks.

I guess that means I am starting my sixth decade of being a USC fan. I have attended football, basketball, volleyball, track and field, swimming, water polo, and even club ice hockey events. For some reason, never went to baseball.

46. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1962. Watched USC beat Duke. Never looked back

47. Highway 99

Highway 99 Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I think we have done this before Oldtimer. My first game was the same as yours - 1951 vs. Stanford, with my dad. Both my parents, like me, were SC grads. A cousin, Boyd Hachten, played in the late '40s. I have always bled C & G. Fight on!

48. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017

Dad took me to Notre Dame game, and from that day until now a Trojan for life.

49. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    It was 1964- I was 8 years old, and my Dad took me to the SC-UCLA game. He was rooting for SC( of course) which influenced me. The Trojans won the game, and I was hooked for life.

50. 3XUSCDad

3XUSCDad Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1962. All my friends were into their team and I didn't have one. Living in North Carolina in the 60's college football sucked around here. I wanted to pull for a winner. I looked around for a school I could be a fan. I wanted a school with good academics, good football tradition, cool uniforms, cool school colors, good weather, an icon (Tommy Trojan), a warrior logo, and awesome band uniforms. California dreaming was in my head long before the Mamas and Pappas. Mentally I had already moved to California with Jed Clampett. If the Song Girls had existed then, my decision would have been more simple.:israel:

51. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Jul 8, 2017
    SCOT
    I was born July 18 but 2 years after you.. as 3rd generation Trojan I was born a USC fan.. first game I can remember was 1955 SC vs Oregon.. SC romp with Jon Annett scoring 4 touchdowns..my dad was avid alum and fan ..
    Thanks for a great summertime post to stroll down memory lane..

52. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Jul 8, 2017
    If I remember correctly my first game was 1953 Minnesota, at the Coli.

53. CCtrojanfan

CCtrojanfan Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Don't lie. Most of you became fans in 2002 after Pete's first year.

54. BraceDoctor

BraceDoctor Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017

55. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Keyshawn Johnson turned me into a Trojan fan in 1994, I was about 11 years old at the time. Still the most amazing player I ever saw wear the Cardinal & Gold.

56. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jul 8, 2017
    1973, a team with 2 future ADs s starters (Haden, Swann) and the great John Mckay as HC

57. listen2menow&hearmelater

listen2menow&hearmelater Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    July of 2014. That's when Sam Darnold committed to USC.

Enjoyed and rooted for the team previously, but SD made it a thing of passion.

58. SCF4L

SCF4L Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    1977, watching Charles White run all over everybody. To this day he is my all time favorite Trojan.

59. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    For me it was probably around 1961-1962 as my father was a football junkie, so games were always on the old black & white. But today with memories fading, I only seem to remember back to the 66'-67 USC-UCLA rivalry games. The glitz, the glamour, the pageantry, the tradition and the passion of this special game just sucked me in. From that moment, I was hooked and have never looked back or wavered from my personal passion for USC football. OJ, McKay, so many legends and reading Jim Murray's Sunday write up of the games was akin to soaking in a Walt Whitman sonnet. Then there's the 1972 team with Mike Rae at QB and the 72' Trojans marching over college football teams as if they were merely doormats to be trampled. That season was a thing of beauty. The first game I ever actually attended was the game when Rodney Peete threw that las second TD to JK McKay in the corner of the end zone against UCLA. WHAT A FRICKING GAME! The 60's also take me back to watching the USC track & field duel meets on TV. Loved how we dominated T & F back then.

60. scfanjosh

scfanjosh Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    I went to high school with Antuan Simmons (he played QB for us) and we actually had a lot of kids get D-1 scholarships for about two years (class of '96 & '97). I kind of followed their progress but nothing too fanatical. Fast-forward a few years and I was in the Navy and a friend is mine was a big-time Michigan fan and invited me and a few other friends to watch the 2003 Rose Bowl at his place. I was rooting for the good guys and what a game it was. I've been hooked ever since.

61. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    88--but we were known as the Methodists back then. We beat the Alliance Athletic Club 16-0. Great weather that day. No smog.

62. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    Alliance really improved over the course of that season. I made it to the January re-match. Fortunately we won but a much closer 4-0 score that day.

63. trojanalum

trojanalum Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    1988: It was my second year in law school at USC. I attended my first college football game - No. 4 USC vs. No. 3 Oklahoma. It was a noon game in late September. Man it was hot. Coliseum was packed (86k plus) and rockin' with rabid fans - many with their faces painted in their school colors. Best thing...we kicked Okie's ass 23-7.

From Wikipedia: "In their second year under head coach Larry Smith, the Trojans compiled a 10–2 record (8–0 against conference opponents), won the Pacific-10 Conference (Pac-10) championship, and outscored their opponents by a combined total of 370 to 184. The Trojans won their first 10 games of the season, running the conference table and beating third-ranked Oklahoma at home. They were ranked second in the nation before their match with number-one ranked Notre Dame. After losing to the Fighting Irish in their final regular-season game, they faced Michigan in the Rose Bowl, losing 14–22. Quarterback Rodney Peete led the team..."

64. gothamtrojan

gothamtrojan Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017

65. SColdtimer

SColdtimer Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    My dad was born in Boone Iowa on the family farm. His dad, my grandfather died when my dad was 10. When my grandmother moved to California to marry my step grandfather, my dad stayed to finish High School. He was living in Perry Iowa with his grandfather. My dad played guard on the football team, and they won the state championship.

When my dad graduated from HS, he hitched a ride to California with a gal whose husband was in the Navy. My grandmother and step grandpa lived in Long Beach. My dad and grandpa were at the '39 game together when UCLA didn't kick a FG on 4th down inside the Trojans 3 yard line. The game ended in a 0-0 tie and USC ended up in the Rose Bowl and undefeated.

Howard Jones had been a very successful coach in Iowa.

My dad ended up at Pearl Harbor in 1941. Long Beach families lost more loved ones at Pearl Harbor than any other US city. The fleet had been in Long Beach and San Diego before Pearl Harbor.

I remember USC playing a great game against a very strong Iowa team in '61. McKay went for a 2 point conversion and they missed. My dad was rooting for USC by then.

They used to call Long Beach, "The Seacoast of Iowa."

I can remember when I was 4 years old and hitting a tennis ball against our garage door. My dad called me in to watch the Rams and the Brown. Tom Fears caught a long pass.

Most of what has happened in my life I can remember the date by what happened in sports that day.

66. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    I moved to CA. from New York when I was 12 in 1978. I was told at that time I had to pick between USC and fucla. Easy choose. USC. So I guess that makes about 39 years. I stayed a New York Ranger fan at first and will still root for them against every team except the Kings. It took a year to become a Kings fan but I have been a die hard one ever since.

67. listen2menow&hearmelater

listen2menow&hearmelater Junior Member

Jul 9, 2017
    USC has been my college football team since elementary school, so let's call it 1968. But I became a diehard, don't-want-to-miss-a-thing fan in July 2014 when a certain ginger QB committed to the Trojans.

68. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    1973 when it was still the PAC-8. Attended SC in 1977 and again in 1987. Graduated in 1993. I bleed cardinal and gold.

69. Seaking77

Seaking77 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    My first USC memory was being 7 at the 1967 Rose Bowl against Purdue with Bob Griese at QB. I remember USC scoring late to pull to 13-14 and then failing on the 2 point conversion. As we were walking back to the car I remember my dad telling me that "USC never kicks for a tie." He'd grown up in Fullerton a USC fan since his Dad came out from Iowa in the 20's and went to Dental and Ortho school at USC. He recalls the best game he ever saw being the Wisconsin Rose Bowl in early 60's. He must have told me that prior to the 55-24 comeback win over Norte Dame because he and my Mom were at that game while I watched it on tv in Palos Verdes (get the Seaking 77 handle yet?). My best game memories include a mid-70s Coli game vs Stanford when we came back to kick a winning field goal, the black and white tv memory of Dickerson catching the TD that beat ucla, anything involving AD, watching Ricky Bell set the NCAA rushing record in a night game with a HS date, watching the Trojans hold off Aaron Rodgers and Cal right in front of us at the closed end of the Coli with my kids when THEY became sc fans, and thus year's Rose Bowl which was insanely thrilling and coincidentally on the 50th anniversary to the day, Jan 2 date and all, as the first memory against Purdue!

70. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    1980s when I was just a little kid. My uncles were sports fanatics and I remember watching USC football, especially a RoseBowl win, must have been mid 80s? Didn't really start following seriously and going to games until that magical year of Pete...

71. jorgec55

jorgec55 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    November 30, 1974. I was 9 years old; mesmerized by how a team I never had heard of before had my mom's 3 brothers crying like little girls as their "Whining Irish" were completely overwhelmed. Whenever I am having a bad day I can always remember that feeling.

72. mykeeneye

mykeeneye Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    November 20, 1999. My friends family, who are very confused Ruin fans took my older sister and I to the game. At the time my sister was applying for schools and was deciding between SC, UCLA, Michigan and a few others. Well after the dark years of something like 8 losses in a row my friends family was sure it would be another route for UCLA and it would somehow sway my sister to the baby blue. Needless to say it didn't happen that year and experience pushed my sister in the right direction. Ever since then its been all C&G for my family.

73. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    I'm on my third reincarnation as a USC football fan. I don't recall when but I believe Grover Cleveland was on his second stint as President ;)

74. 4uscfighton!

4uscfighton! Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    In NJ at home in 1963 watching the Rose Bowl on RCA Victor Color TV. USC v. The White and Red of Wisconcin

75. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Probably about 1980. Neighbors were UGLY fans and I thought they were weird as hell. Such began the USC fandom.

76. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    I was 8 living just south of Boston, I would come in the late fall afternoons from whatever sport we were playing and there would be this magical game on the TV where the skies were blue, the fans were in shorts and USC would be kicking the snot out of the opposition usually some midwestern school with blue and gold unis or some powder blue wanna' be's. Fandom was cemented when Sam Cunningham went over the top 4 times in the '73 Rose Bowl vs Ohio State. When he was drafted by the hometown Patriots later that year I was ecstatic.

Later worked with a guy from that OSU team. He said he was totally amazed by USC in that game loved and hated them at the same time.

When it came time to go to business school on the west coast two decades later it was no contest.

77. 1diehardSCFan

1diehardSCFan Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    For me, it started in 1966 when my father started teaching at USC and blossomed in 1972 when I started attending (and working at the bookstore)!

78. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Jul 10, 2017
    '74... when AD led the comeback. Right after the game I went outside and tore it up in a sandlot game as Anthony Davis.

79. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2017
    The 1955 Rose Bowl.....SC lost to Ohio State but I was (as a 9 year old) blown away by Jon Arnett..........!

80. mrerp

mrerp Junior Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Became a fan in 1965. Just came back from a WESTPAC CRUISE - VIETNAM. listened to the USC vs UCLA for the first time and has been hooked every since. Die Heart Fan.

81. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2017
    1970, when I was applying to college. I also applied to Stanford; watched them play and became an SC fan. Was accepted to SC in December and have been an SC fan ever since. Like you, my passion for all SC sports has not changed. From 1971 to 1975, I saw a lot of national championship teams!!

82. SoCalLifer

SoCalLifer Junior Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I was born a USC fan, both my parents graduated from SC. The first year I started going to the games was in 1967, I loved watching OJ run wild! Both my Dad and his brother were football managers for the team while they were in school. From 69 thru 71, my cousin was a football manager, and I would watch him before the games catch the field goals behind the goal posts. Needless to say, I became a football manager in 76, and enjoyed the most successful four years in SC football history, until Pete came along. SC is the only school I sent an application to.

83. SC1952

SC1952 Member

Jul 11, 2017
    When I was 8 in the early 1950`s my family moved from Iowa to LA. In Iowa all we heard or read was ND. I had even asked my Mother if I could attend ND. Soon after arriving in LA I started to read the sports sections. One day in late summer I saw a photo and story about the USC Trojans beginning fall practice. I decided that day to become a USC rooter,and my infatuation for ND was just a memory

84. WJW39

WJW39 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I became a fan at age 8 in 1947. My first USC/ND game was the 1948 14-14 tie. My dad was security at the game. He was a cop in the Valley and a member of the USC Frosh team in 1925. Mom was an Irish Catholic Nurse from the Midwest and therefore an avid ND fan. Needless to say there was much disagreement in our home. As I recall Leon Hart and Emil Sitko were the stars of the unbeaten ND team and Don Doll was one of the top Trojans in the game. Since I was only 9 at the time I don't recall all the facts. Having worked in the Pacific Northwest and Midwest most of my adult years before coming back to SoCal in 2001 I missed an awful lot of USC home games over the years. I've tried to make up for it since I've been back. The 1974 USC /ND game was my favorite game even though I had to watch in on TV from my home in Seattle.

85. Durium

Durium Junior Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The first game I attended was the 1973 Oklahoma game. Since then, I have attended most home games and quite a few away games. My favorite games were the ones against Notre Dame in 1974, 1978 and 1996, the 1973 and 2013 games against Stanford, the 1975 and 1980 Rose Bowls and the 1979 Cal game.

86. Durium

Durium Junior Member

Jul 12, 2017
    OJ Rah!

87. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Jul 12, 2017
    1960-61 Was my year of entry into the Army of Trojan supporters and fans. Fight On!

88. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Early 60s. I was probably six or seven.

I was already a Ram fan and was aware of USC but one Saturday I was at my neighbors who were HUGE Trojan fans and they were having a party while listening to the game on the radio IIRC. It became family very quickly.

Every time I see The Godfather Pt 2 and hear Tom Kelly doing SC/Domers in the background of the Miami scene it takes me back to those days.

89. Durium

Durium Junior Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Unfortunately, the Domers won that game 20-13.

90. murrietatrojan17

murrietatrojan17 Junior Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I became a fan in the mid 90's. I grew up in a Mexican house hold, so I mostly watched soccer. I then started to watch College Football and of course, growing up in Long Beach I would watch the SC games. After watching" throw me the damn ball" Keyshawn, I was hooked. I also attended High School with Nansen's younger sister and of course she would always try to get us to watch the WSU games.

91. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Michael missed out on a tuna sammy, Fredo was being played by Johnny Ola, bad times all around.

92. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Marcus Allen era probably nailed it for me, but I was a fan before that. Then I went to USC in the 90s.

93. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Late 80's for me. Had a few friends and opponents play football and baseball for USC so it was fun rooting for them.

94. jpsocal65

jpsocal65 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2017
    1965 the year I was born. Had no choice. Dad was class of '66, mom was class of '68. Uncle Johnny class of '71, Aunt Debbie class of
    '73. Born into it. Fight On!

95. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Jul 17, 2017
    I started watching SC football in 1953, however I didn't become a season ticket owner until 1954. My brother was a big fan and he took me to my first game.

96. binga30

binga30 Junior Member

Jul 18, 2017
    2008. I followed the Broncos in the NFL and only became interested in NCAAFB when opening internet explorer would always bring up the msn homepage. Naturally I scrolled to the sport section and saw this whole other world of sport. Forgive me I'm not local to the US.
    Anyhow SC pulled me in, the colours, the stadium, LA baby, and the best school of all time! Fight on!