In memory of Garry Paskwietz

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Jan 21, 2019.

1. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Too young and too soon.

Condolences to the Paskweitz family. Garry will be deeply missed. This is a profound loss for all of us, but most particularly to his family. Grace to you all.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  2. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I was contacted by Trojan Warrior from TOS and he asked me to post this. I do not typically post anything from other sites but felt that since he and Garry go way back it would be appropriate. I know there is some history from people on this board but feel with the passing of Garry we need to put aside our differences, even it is for a day, and allow us to grieve in his passing. Please don't kill the messenger.

I remember when I first got online looking for Trojan news and the 1st thing I found was a site called Trojan Football Online aka TFO. It was cool and I noticed Trojans having message board discussions. I tried it out, however, the community was small and it seemed to be a group of friends interacting with each other. A little time later I found WeAreSC.

I liked the format better and the community was bigger with a much more diverse group of opinions. Garry's board was providing me and others a place to display our passion for everything USC...and then some! For that I will always be eternally grateful. I remember being one of the guys that started the Meet n Greets with Garry's blessing as well as the board tailgate. It opened up the doors to many friendships that I still hold dear to my heart today.

I remember assisting Garry set up the tailgate at the Shrine Game when it was Mt. SAC. One year in particular, the year Josh Pinkard was coming in; There were a bunch of us in the stands and as they prepared for kick off, both teams on the field, we all stood up and started the WE ARE...SC chant. It got loud. Others joined in who weren't part of the group and all of a sudden Josh starts waving the Victory Salute from the field. Garry and I looked at each other and just said, "this is so cool!."

I last saw Garry last year at a practice. We said our usual hello how ya doin and kibbitzed for a few. Garry always took the time out to remember some great times. I know we drifted apart, however, Garry, you will always be a friend of mine and I miss you. RIP, Trojan!
    Brgrds,
    Marc aka Trojan Warrior aka The Defender of the Faith

3. cheynaspop

cheynaspop Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    wow.... very, VERY, sad to hear of Gary's passing. Have been following him MANY years & his insight to this program has been non parriell. (sp) Condolences to his family & friends during this difficult time. Fight On Forever....

4. MC4SC

MC4SC Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I am also deeply saddened to hear this. I had a bad feeling back in May when I saw him at the last SFV Media Night. he didn't look right, and, I asked him if was doing okay. He said he was and that he was working on some things. I've known Garry since he started this site, and, he's always been one of the best people I've ever met. He simply got it. I always felt like he understood me, and, clearly many others like me who couldn't get enough of USC football. His site opened the door to meeting others and sharing information and thoughts on the one passion that united us all. He did it with his own style and in a most respectful manner. One of my favorite times with Garry was at a WeareSC get together in Arkansas the day before the game. It was like a family and we all reveled in it, and, this was all due to Garry. I will continue to be a part of this site, and, will always remember Garry as one of the greatest Trojans of all time. He will be missed, and, I truly hope he rests in peace. Condolences to all of his friends and family.

5. scsuperfan

scsuperfan Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    We were all better people for knowing GP. Terrific person and a great journalist. He was a true trailblazer in many aspects of the sports coverage we enjoy here in Southern California. Terrible loss.

RIP, GP!

6. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Helen, please carry on your tradition of asking if we will win every mail bag - we know how he would answer.

7. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    So very sorry to learn of this news. My thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

ak who likes this.
  8. scslotnick

scslotnick New Member

Jan 21, 2019
    So terribly sad to hear this news. Garry was one of a kind. He was as welcoming and friendly as he was knowledgeable about SC football. Before kids, my wife and I spent a good 10 years travelling to road games and going to local wearesc events. It was fun because we were good, but it felt like family because of Garry. He will be missed, but never forgotten

ak who and TrojanDave85 like this.
  9. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I'm speechless. My sincerest condolences to the Paskwietz family and friends.

We all know God is a Trojan, so Garry has to be in a better place.

God speed

10. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Jan 21, 2019
    My favorite GarryP moment was when he stopped by my tailgate for last season’s Stanford game.

Me: Garry, Brett Neilon needs to see the field

Garry: I agree!

He was stoked when he saw that I held one of those print out of game previews with the starting players numbers and other info.

RIP to a Trojan legend.

Ventura Trojan, ak who and SCBIGTIME like this.
  11. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Never met the man but I still teared up anyway. Rest In Peace Garry. You will be greatly missed.

Ventura Trojan, ak who and SCBIGTIME like this.
  12. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jan 21, 2019
    So sorry to hear.....RIP and condolences to his loved ones and the whole Trojan family....

ak who likes this.
  13. 1diehardSCFan

1diehardSCFan Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I've always joked that God is a Trojan, and today I pray that God and Garry will spend eternity talking Trojan Football together. I never met Garry personally, but from this board, and his radio interviews I could tell he was a class act all the way, and a great Trojan. My prayers are for Garry and his family, and all the many fans out there who knew him through his Trojan passion and are devastated today. Fight On Garry!

14. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    So shocked and saddened when I heard the news. RIP, Garry. Our condolences to the family.

ak who and SCBIGTIME like this.
  15. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I never met Garry, but his warmth and decency always showed through in his podcasts and his writing. He was always a class act as a sports journalist, never taking cheap shots or trading in rumors. He seemed like a man of great integrity. To any aspiring sportswriter, there no doubt would be no finer role model than Garry.

I was stunned and saddened (as I'm sure many on this board were) to hear of his passing, and at such a young age. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He touched a lot of lives, and he will be greatly missed.

ak who likes this.
  16. ak who

ak who Member

Jan 21, 2019
    GP and WeAreSc has been an enormous part of my USC experience. My sincerest condolences to his family and close friends. He was a giant in sports journalism and his passion for his craft has always been an inspiration to me.

Heaven is probably watching the Notre Dame fans faces while the Bush Push is played on repeat. Or re-reading through the Boomer Sooner's game thread while watching, "that cross-eyed lefty is dropping the football into shotglasses 40 yards away." Hope Garry is doing something along those lines today.

17. spintojoe

spintojoe Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Terrible news. Thinking good thoughts for the family.

18. usc_ee

usc_ee Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    This is very sad news. Condolences to the Paskweitz family. Gary was a great Trojan!

19. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Wow, I’m just in shock. Garry was way too young to go. Great guy, really got me plugged into more Trojan sports than just football, gave me an appreciation for them all. Just a sad sad day. Will really miss his insight and the way he connected with people on this board. RIP.