IMHO Thursday Special Edition: AD Mike Bohn introduced, could Urban be next?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Nov 7, 2019.

2. djgcue

djgcue Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Bohn is an A Lister, in my book, if he brings in Meyer.

I'm intrigued, "There is also a rumor that a certain USC football legend of prominence has said that Meyer is interested in the USC job if it opens."

I enjoyed your article, because it provides factual information, rather than enticing rumors like some of the other media writings, we've seen these past few days.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  3. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Uh oh.....Bohn's an ex-QB.

LOL

Bohn Strong ---------> Urban Meyer!!

ClovisTroy and Kaptain Karl like this.
  4. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Bohn is Clay 2.0 they found his brother

NOOO!!

5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Want to bet former Trojan legend is Matt? Have to believe big boosters have been asked if they would support paying Urban $$$ & they gave their support.

User1234 likes this.
  6. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Nov 7, 2019
    I said it before and I will say it again, Gary Bryant Jr was quoted as saying he's been in direct contact with Bryce Young, Justin Flowe and Alias Ricks who are all excited to be playing together at the All American Bowl in San Antonio as their final High School Football Game. Bryant Jr is set to make his college announcement at the game. My heart is telling me that we hire Urban Meyer and land all 4 of these young men as well as get some other flips and possibly 3-4 major players from the Transfer Portal. No inside information....just a strong gut feeling.

Fight On for an incredibly bright looking future for USC Football and USC Athletics ad a whole.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  7. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Nov 7, 2019
    "...Folt said that Bohn would have no limitations in the coaches he wants to hire..." I will take this at face value as incredibly positive news over the vague and stilted comments and rumors that have been floated in the past several days. I have to think that Bohn has UM as a leading candidate and the first he will reach out to--or perhaps has already entered into discussion--so as to gauge interest as well as terms and conditions. If this scenario unfolds, it promises to be the most hopeful news of the season as there has been little coming from the field of play.

KiwiSCfan likes this.
  8. redeye

redeye Points Member

Nov 7, 2019
    She replied enthusiastically, “Of course! I couldn’t go to the games because I had no money. I worked as a waitress to make ends meet. I am a tremendous sports fan coming from Ohio, and I certainly knew the USC football greatness."

Mr. Katz, I am upstate NY & it is starting to snow. So I do have a firm grasp on my favorite Friday Night Libation. Sounds like our new President is living the American Dream. All of we who have worked min. wage +Tips back in the day that are now secure in our careers or retirement get this.

I hope she is more Urban than rural. USC should throw into Urban's contract her choice of "High End" California residential. I am certain there are several qualified USC Grads that can broker the real estate deal:-)

We are a wealthy Private University; the largest employer of minorities in South Central LA; a top research site and exemplary grad schools of copious fields of study. Why we do not throw more of our weight around the PAC-12 is mystical??? WEARESC! Time for another libation. :-)

9. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 7, 2019
    "She has wanted her husband to get out of the rat race of college coaching but living in SoCal is completely different that living in Columbus, Ohio."

This makes sense. In Columbus, it's got to be a nightmare life, especially if you happen to lose a few games. Here, if you lose, the Trojan Mafia is fired up but the rest of LA could not care less.

10. gubo&palanka

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 7, 2019

Drinking the Friday good stuff on Thursday, eh? ;-)

redeye likes this.
  11. gubo&palanka

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 7, 2019
    Greg: why is the ncaa investigating USC basketball? Is it the FBI thing or something different? If it's the FBI thing, then several schools must be in the cross hairs.

12. redeye

redeye Points Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Give me a break; it is ffffin snowing. You certain it is not Friday or is that some California Time Zone thing?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    And they have been asking even mid-level boosters like me [Comm/Scholly] if we would come back and for how much if we hired Urban. I will actually be upgrading mine. But the vast majority have said they will swallow the inflated new prices across the board for Meyer, but would not for a lesser B lister, or even worse keeping our current C lister. So get ready to scratch out that 5 figure check folks if we truly want excellence.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  14. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Greg, lets assume Urban is in for the USC job and Bohn offers it. What do you think the length of his stay is? 5 yrs would be mine. And that's fine. Because if UM does a good job (history shows he would) the HC to replacement him should be closer to seamless than what we've experienced in the past (think of the transition from McKay to Robinson). If I'm Bohn, and I'm very interested in UM, than I'm looking at a ten + yr plan with the above thoughts in mind.

gubo&palanka and redeye like this.
  15. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    [​IMG]

This is going to be me. The moment Clay Helton gets fired. I'm going to be like Marv "The Leatherman" Gomez dancing in the company parking lot.

16. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Dan Hawkins was not a bad hire at Colorado, he just didn’t work out. Hawkins helped build a very good program at Boise St, but couldn’t recreate it at Colorado.

17. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    As usual, Greg's article is well-written and full of relevant information. Right now the most important issue for the SC football program is recruiting. I promise you that as soon as someone like Urban Meyer (UM) is hired, top recruits will be knocking at the door. USC football desperately needs top OL and DL players. It's a shame that top West coast offensive and defensive linemen have gone to Stanford and Oregon rather than to USC. The football situation at SC football is dire now and a change in its leadership is badly needed as soon as possible, especially for the player recruiting purposes. Actually, I think UM is very much interested in SC head coaching position because he can build a dynasty here and go down in history as one of the greatest college football coaches of all time. I am sure the University administration and the head coach can agree on a set of rules regarding the off-the-filed issues. I know that Dr. Folt is trying to establish a culture of integrity and proper behavior at the University, but hiring Urban Meyer would not violate these efforts in any way. The rumors about the off-the-field issues are spread by people who dislike or hate USC football and do not want to see its return to preeminence in college football.

18. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Kirk Herbstreit of all people had to move out of Columbus because of the harassment he and his family received due to his need to be somewhat objective when it comes to anOSU. SoCal would be a welcome change for UM and family for much the same reason.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 7, 2019
    Hi Redeye. It's my understanding that Urban Meyer and his wife bought a home in the South Bay area of Southern California. As you know, Meyer is working the Fox college pregame shows, which are telecast from L.A. It also means limited cross-country trips back to Ohio for the Meyer family.. Doesn't mean he's the next USC head coach, but it doesn't hurt to already have residence in L.A. Greg

gubo&palanka and redeye like this.
  20. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 7, 2019
    Hi gubo&planka. This goes all goes back to the original "sting" that the FBI was doing with college basketball. Yes, the Trojans aren't the only university under scrutiny. Greg