IMHO Sunday: Was the UCLA win enough to save Gentleman Clay?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Nov 23, 2019.

1. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I agree that we never saw enough of Jack to know how good he can be as a starting QB. Perhaps if he transfers to Oregon State as rumored, we will get our chance.

2. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Heck, if the $20M buy-out is the only thing standing between SC and a real coach, why doesn't the administration contact 40 celebrities and charge them $500K each to admit their moron kids. Problem solved!

Seriously, if U-S-C can't afford the buyout of an incompetent coaching staff, then the university has officially entered the category of a "Clown College." We'll know soon if the administration is serious about having a nationally relevant football team.

BTW, for those who still say what a "gentleman" Gomer is, they must have a different definition than I have. Being a habitual liar and sycophant doesn't fit my definition of a "good guy."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Him returning in this game and finishing strong may have been his Matt Leinart moment.

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Oh, you mean the Leinart moment after Whisenhunt became Head Coach. Bye, Bye Matt!

5. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    If USC can get a Urban Meyer or the like it would be foolish not to do so.
    Although Helton deserves respect he is not the high quality coach USC needs
    Hope that Bohn looks at all the options and has the resources to make a change

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    It may have brought him another year. However, I think what happens in the bowl game will be his fate

fssca51 likes this.
  7. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    There’s definitely more parity in the conference, thus fulfilling Larry Scott’s goal, but at the cost of not having any legitimate national contenders at the top in the way that the SEC does. The bowl season, and in particular Utah’s fortunes, will determine whether the narrative changes, but I’m not holding my breath on this.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. Oldschoolrock

Oldschoolrock Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Nice write up Greg Katz!

We were lucky to beat Utah. I think they match up well with all the playoff teams because of there D....

There are better coaches available, heck someone like Herm Edwards gets us to 10-2 this year, he is a tough adjustment driven coach, a player coach to boot...I would rather have a defensive minded coach to be honest....

The game ball for the new AD yesterday sealed Heltons fate....what a disaster...

9. littleachiever

littleachiever Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I wasn't convinced that he was gone until this morning. If he was staying, we would have heard about it today.

Obviously, they won't be able to announce until after Utah beats the Buffs Saturday, so announcement seems likely for next weekend or Monday 12/2. I have a feeling a deal is already in place, which would mean UM or Stoops.

10. Fyton82

Fyton82 Points Member

Nov 24, 2019
    IMO, highly unlikely. The early signing date is a huge factor. I don't see any way Bohn waits until after the bowl game to make a decision knowing early signing date would have come and gone and then if he cans Helton after a bowl, he would have to identify, vet and hire a new coach and get ready for early Feb signing date. I think the decision on Helton's fate will have taken place well before the bowl. Whatever is going to happen, it will take place early next week after UT/Col game.

11. SonofGodzilla

SonofGodzilla Points Member

Nov 24, 2019
    So if your top candidates are still coaching as is likely for anyone other than UM, what is the "upside" to letting CCH go next week ?

Maybe recruits would respond to a change , but without knowing who will be the coach, early signing IS going to be a bust this year.

12. Bored of Clowns

Nov 24, 2019
    A much better term for this parity is "mediocrity". Embarrassing football conference.

OC2SC, SoCal93 and FIGHTONSC like this.
  13. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Clay had the opportunity to replace Clancy last year and decided to keep him another year. The same mistake he made by not firing the O-line coach, etc., etc.

Unfortunately, the buck stops with Clay and he failed to make the critical moves. For that reason, amongst a 100 others....he needs to go!

For Bohn and/or Holt this is your “tipping point” (Malcolm Gladwell)!

Keep Clay and the negative trend continues OR make the Big Time hire (ie Urban) and our TROJANS are relevant again, 5 star recruits come again, Coli is rocking again ($$$), fan base happy again, we compete for National Championship again....basically the world is “Right” again.

Soooo....Bohn and/or Holt our program
    can “tip”one of 2 ways! You were brought in the make CHANGES....so have the courage to make the correct change needed!

14. drheisenberg

drheisenberg Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    All conmen are “gentlemen.” This is what I think of everytime I see Clay Helton interviewed.

15. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I've only been watching recruiting closely for the last 7 years or so. In that time, USC has always started slowly and tried to close the big fish on signing day, which is a risky strategy, but has generally worked. I recall watching the board with elation as one Kaboom after another landed at the last possible moment with Adoree , Juju, etc.

With the advent of the early signing day split, I thought we missed the boat by still trying to focus on the final signing day, but the first two classes worked out pretty well anyway in terms of "ranking.". Last year was the first one that really fell apart and that probably had everything to do with losing the last few games and going 5-7.

I know this will not be a popular sentiment with many here, but I think this issue has been somewhat exaggerated with intended malice. I'm not at all convinced where we are today in signings is reflective of how we will finish this class, regardless of who the head coach is. As Erik confirmed, we have fewer scholarships available so looking at total points will not be reflective of how well we have done. Instead average stars after the final NSD will tell the tale. And even then frankly, we had great classes under kiffin and Sark only to lose many of those highly ranked kids to a number of off the field issues. We picked up some pretty good kids last year in that "down" year. We need to really focus on landing the right "big uglies" over the next few years to take the next steps, regardless of who our coaching team is comprised of.

USCAlumFightOn and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  16. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Great column Greg. I think your read of the sentiment of the fan base and Alumni is spot on. Once the glow of beating fucla is over, I hope the adults maked reasoned decisions, and come to the obvious conclusion that Clay has to go. He is at best a mediocre coach, and what he has proved this year is that he is good at beating bad teams. These last 5 wins didn't really prove much, and then you have the debacle vs Oregon.
    I am also of the belief that while Clay is a good person, he at times sounds like a hack politician, making bold proclamations( that he can't back up) to save his job.
    He hope we get good news in a week. Anything earlier indicates he is staying.

17. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Purely my opinion ... I don't think Sears is anywhere near the same talent plane as Slovis. I think what we saw from Sears against ASU was much closer to what we had with Fink against Utah. Teams play them straight the first time ... and then they study some film.

18. Bored of Clowns

Nov 24, 2019
    Not sure that Herm would do much better. ASU did all they could to blow that game with the "Zeros". Their freshman QB was pretty amazing.

As far as Utah's D...if they somehow make it, they would get drilled by LSU/Clemson/OSU. I mean DRILLED.

Totally agree with your "disaster" comment.

19. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Greg
    Toatally agree HCCH has to be let go... I hope Mike Bohn does not let yesterday’s nice win influence his decision to redirect a program clearly in retreat
    A little History
    1985 we win crosstown game to end a disappointing season. Tollner retained . 1986 starts well but comes apart like a cheap meatloaf at the end Tollner fired
    2015 SC wins again an Helton is given full time gig...
    Don’t let 2019 win mask the clear erosion of our team
    Not sure how good Slovis will become but our receiving corp is fabulous
    Top flite coach needed and needed right after Utah boat races Colorado next weekend
    OFF TOPIC
    I agree with your pet peeve

20. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Slovis doesn't need to "become" anything. He's already really good IMO. To say he put on a clinic yesterday is a gross understatement.

gubo&palanka likes this.