IMHO Sunday Update Special: Statements bring scrutiny

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Nov 25, 2018.

1. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 25, 2018

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  2. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Swann is obviously influenced by his own experiences playing for Mckay and Noll. That is why he talks about stability.

While a player at SC he also experienced some down seasons. His first 2 seasons we had talented teams that were big disappointments. 1970 & 1971 teams went 6-4-1, though both beat ND. Coach Mckay righted the boat in spectacular fashion in 1972 with a NC. Swann didn't allude to this because he realizes Helton is no Mckay (who had already won 2 NC at that time) and any such comparisons will be laughed at.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    In a rather stunning and what some media are calling an “incredible” development, USC Trojans athletic director Lynn Swann announced on Sunday morning that head football coach Clay Helton would return for the 2019 season.
    For anyone listening to national media, it could not have come as a total shock. Personally, I thought it was time to pull the trigger, but it seemed pretty obvious that there was a strong chance he would be retained.

a season that left all Trojan fans in a state of misery, confusion, and – needless to say – anger
    I can't argue with the misery and confusion parts -- but not everyone was "angry" about it. Some people have been overtly angry about Helton and some people have put it into a more balanced perspective.

The only way this can work is if he pulls a Brian Kelly and makes wholesale assistant coaching changes. Although yesterday was a better game, we still only scored 17 points. That is not going to cut it.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. Georgetirebiter IV

Georgetirebiter IV Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Swann played at SC 70-72. Freshmen, 69, were ineligible for varsity football. USC was 6-4-1 back to back prior to 12-0 in Swann’s three seasons. He went through the adversity of the 60’s. McKay lost his teams for a couple of years. We had the talent.

I had no enthusiasm for SC football by last Saturday. But come early signing day I’ll be watching. This was one bad year. We had four with Hackett. I’ve been a zealous fan for 53 years. I can’t imagine not loving SC football.

Sorry some of you feel the need for a divorce. The family will miss you, but the Trojan family will continue. As an alumnus, and SC child, parent, nephew, cousin I can’t leave any more than I could quit my church.

5. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Swann was a senior in 1973.

He made one of the greatest catches I have ever seen against Stanford that year to help in a dramatic comeback .

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    I hear a lot of people say Helton is no McKay. But at the start of McKay's career, John McKay was no John McKay either.

McKay's first two seasons were both losing seasons (only 4 wins each) coming off an 8-2 season with the prior coach. McKay also had no prior head coaching experience - he was also promoted to the post from being an assistant coach at USC.

I'm not old enough to know whether he had a "plan" that was communicated to the fans in order for him to keep his job...but I tend to doubt it. McKay was learning on the job also and he turned out to be a pretty memorable coach. Obviously, Lynn Swann sees something there. None of us know how this is going to turn out in the long run.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    He did win a NC in his third year. That carries a lot of weight. Once CH wins a NC then he can be compared to Mckay.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    So his teams improved rather than regressed as his system got implemented?

I was adamant that Helton be allowed three years. But everyone who's not f'ing p!ssed today is basically saying his clock started over when Sam left, when in fact a competent coach would have had a system in place that could weather the changes of his First Round pick star leaving.

To lead the "rebuilding" from the disastrous 2018 football season, Swann has picked the guy that got us into it in the first place.

It doesn't even pass the most basic smell test of accountability or sound management.

If he'd [email protected] the bed early and improved, that'd be one thing.

But dude's been in this system for 9 years, HC for 3.5. If he was competent, we're not even having this conversation.

LR4TROY likes this.
  9. valleytrojan

valleytrojan Active Member

Nov 25, 2018
    He can never be compared to McKay. McKay's key defensive philosophy was when you tackle a guy, he has to go down....our team doesn't even know the meaning of the word tackle. McKay generated enthusiasm, he had a philosophy and the players respected him....none of this is obvious now.

gubo&palanka, LR4TROY and biglouie like this.
  10. biglouie

biglouie Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    McKay's team were physical, watch a video of them
    McKay made adjustments and after losses figured how to fix or improve his team
    As for Saturday, helton came up with a game plan his QB could handle, something he should have done earlier in the year. When ND adjusted we couldn't and there was suddenly the same problems as the rest of the year

11. mattinNYC

mattinNYC Points Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Read what I wrote. He played for an organization that values stability. That has won and lost. Not just when he played. Play the long game man. We just came off embarrassing NCAA sanctions, lawsuits, etc. Meanwhile, in the last 20 years, USC has made huge strides as far as academics and global prestige. Football is a part of that. A big part of that. But not the end all be all....

12. Colorado Cardinal & Gold

Colorado Cardinal & Gold Active Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Many of the comments that CH says , in retrospect, are ridiculous. His latest, USC deserves Championships...BS.
    They have to be EARNED!
    I've been following the Trojans for over 50 years, religiously, I am fed-up that are no adjustments going into the 2nd half.
    The use of TE play is non-existent, as is the running game and crossing routes. I can't understand the coaches that have been around football for their entirety do not the ability to make adjustments. %&#@% FIGHT ON

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  13. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Clay Helton has got to put actions where his mouth is.
    Hire a good OC and make improves to the staff. Try to bring in experience.
    Work on S&C, more physical practices, player development.
    Have a plan for adjustments for a game.
    Work on discipline to reduce penalties.

14. SCisBack

SCisBack Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    The Steelers have had Hall of Fame coaches. Makes it easier to have stability. Furthermore, the Steelers are in the NFL, where parity exists due to the NFL draft and therefore a certain degree of losing is tolerated. Almost never in the NFL do you see undefeated or 1-loss seasons. It’s differenct in college football. Aspirational programs can’t afford to and won’t tolerate losing seasons, let alone seasons without conference championships and shots at the CFP. Swann is very mistaken in believing that 5-7 is ok now and then for the sake of stability. We don’t have a draft in college football. We have recruiting. And mediocrity will result in mediocre recruiting, which will then feed upon itself. It’s starting to happen now at USC. And Swann is obviously not cognizant of any of this. Helton is stubborn and inept. Swann is stubborn and arrogant. Not a good combination for USC.

gubo&palanka, LR4TROY and BREWcorp like this.
  15. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 26, 2018

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  16. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018

<<I can’t leave any more than I could quit my church.>>

This - a million times..... I've been a Trojan fan for for over 45 years of my life, not just a fan, a passionate fan. I cannot just turn it off like a spigot. A part of me would go away - a part that I dont want to. I'm staying.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  17. mrsocal

mrsocal Points Member

Nov 26, 2018
    It's like watching a train wreck.....you can't look away!

18. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    What is Swann's explanation for the numerous obvious deficiencies that many posters on this board spotted early last year?? Poor playcalling, bad offensive line coach, unwillingness to make an example of players for discipline issues (Jack Jack) and lack of physicality due to less tackling practice versus elite programs??
    How about the recognition by posters that Toa long snapping was unacceptable. And most recently that #1 needs to play on defense. I'm sitting on my ass at home watching half the games and none of the practices and i figured them out a long time ago. These aren't opinions. These are facts all proven by time or accepted by Helton too late. What does Swann say to these???

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  19. mrsocal

mrsocal Points Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Swann himself listed deficiencies in culture, discipline, schemes, personnel, and staff.....yet he enthusiastically endorsed the retention of the creator of the said deficiencies! WTF???

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  20. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    I agree with your post, and I like the Aristotle quote too. I hope you don't mind if I use it for a writing project I'm working on. The client wants me to use motivational quotes and who better to motivate than Aristotle himself.