IMHO Sunday Update Special: Statements bring scrutiny

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Nov 25, 2018.

2. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Greg
    Two questions
    1. Is there really any pressure on Helton or is he safe through at the very least two or three more seasons. If not now when?
    2. Any thought that Swann surveyed the landscape and did not think he could attract the right replacement ? I know on several threads about potential candidates the theme was he is not ideal but better than Helton
    Probably tired of hearing it but thanks for all your efforts during these trying times for our football program

Lady4SC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    I think the USC admin should be more upfront with information
    1. What is the actual buyout? Is it so large that it cannot be justified?
    A CEO should make a financial statement.
    2. What exactly is Helton's plan?
    A plan of attack for the company.
    It should be more than smoke and mirrors.

4. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 25, 2018
    Hi usc88. In answer to your first question, I think that Helton is safe only through next season. USC doesn't allow more than two losing seasons in a row historically. I don't see Swann firing him during next season. In answer to your second question, I am sure that if Helton had been fired, there were enough candidates to be considered improvements. Third, thank you for your kind words and support of WeAreSC, and, yes, there are better days ahead - with or without the current coaching situation. GK

5. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 25, 2018
    Hi usc88. In answer to your first question, I think that Helton is safe only through next season. USC doesn't allow more than two losing seasons in a row historically. I don't see Swann firing him during next season. In answer to your second question, I am sure that if Helton had been fired, there were enough candidates to be considered improvements. Third, thank you for your kind words and support of WeAreSC, and, yes, there are better days ahead - with or without the current coaching situation. GK

6. scottsdaletrojan

scottsdaletrojan Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again expecting a different result"
    - Albert Einstein

“It is my firm belief that we have a good team returning next year and a solid foundation in place, and that Clay Helton is a good coach."
    - Lynn Swan, November 25, 2018

7. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Both Swann's and Helton's words are political hogwash. All words, no plan or specifics. These hollow statements are both an insult to the fans and serve no purpose to quell the disappointment and anger of this season. If Swann and Helton agree changes need to be made then why now? Why not 6 games ago or 9 games ago? Their passiveness of today is no guarantee of success tomorrow because they would have already made those changes. I call bullshit.

8. mattinNYC

mattinNYC Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Maybe Swann knows something many of you don't know? Maybe he played for an organization (steelers) that had coaches that won superbowls, had losing seasons, and everything in between, but the organization backed the coaches?

earlandnic and ca4usc like this.
  9. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Lets see...... Swann has played for John McKay and Chuck Noll......I think he knows what a good coach is.....Who did y'all play for????
    JT played his best game. He used the entire field which means he is seeing more. Two fumbles deep in Domer territory beat us. JT's development is the key to SC success and yesterday was a big step IMO. His leadership will grow with his success....The Last two recruiting classes were on the field yesterday. Although that was not intentional , it did showcase some serious talent......I do think that there is a solid foundation here.........The decision was correct.......!

flyerz73, earlandnic and ca4usc like this.
  10. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 25, 2018
    Greg,

Do you see any transfers as a result of this decision and plan?

Thank you for all you do.

11. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Thanks Greg for your definitive response
    It has been a busy day I am sure for you and the staff at WeAreSC

12. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Priam, there are a ton of guys that played for great coaches. That doesn't mean they can be a good coach or AD's. I have played and coaches with good and bad coaches. The one thing that is common theme is they all say the same things. The difference is that some practice what they preach and others don't and make excuses.

We will be physical, we will have strong running game, we will be disciplined, we will out-condition our opponents etc. They all know what to do and say. Helton has said all of these things and he hasn't had a lot of success in what he said he was going to do. We have a lousy running game, we are one of the most penalized teams in the nation and have been since he became HFC. It is common knowledge that USC is no longer a physical team and that we wear down in 2nd half.

Two fumbles deep in Domer territory HELPED to beat us, yesterday. But, what about the other 7 losses? It has been the same thing all year long. Jump out to a lead, other team adjusts and we don't. We make key penalties that kill drives. We turn the ball over and we can't get turn overs. Good teams get better as the year goes along, USC hasn't improved.

Every week Helton says that are going to address the problems. Have you seen any real improvement?

As for the solid foundation, USC had a solid foundation this year. But, these kids aren't getting coached up. Do you think Tell, Smith, Toa, Pettite Edoga or many of these other players have improved since last year?

Don't get me wrong. I really hope that you are correct and that I am wrong. But, if it is the other way around we are looking at another long, embarrassing season with a lot of unhappy players, parents, alumni, fans and former players.

13. tossem

tossem Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    It does seem strange no further explanation was given to exactly why retain the head coach. I agree that JT should be better next year, and seeing the young runner carry the ball that should be help. On the other hand do they have enough good players coming up to replace Gustin and Smith on the defense along with Marshall and Tell? The line will be in question on the offense. Drevno over a season may he be able to bring the line around? If it ends up like this year (maybe mostly due to non contact work?) well it goes without saying a lot of blame will be left at feet of the line coach, maybe not the head man. A full year of not being able to score in the second half will leave us wondering is the HC to blame? What do they talk about during half time, to come out for the second half not being able to score and move the ball up and down the field. I can understand maybe giving him credit with the victory over PS, but what about OSU and certainly the team does not belong on the same field with the "tide". Is he really a great recruiter? Why could he not have convince Toa about the virtues of Los Angeles and being able to fly non stop to Hawaii, rather than multiple flights from "racist Alabama"? One other point is that over the years as head coach he has said the team would be more physical and feature the run, only to showcase the Memphis offense as if he was taking a page out of Trump's "make USC great again" and playing the way the team did over the first 11 games. I will say that the team has the talent as they proved last night, but where was it over the rest of the season? I can only say these thing begin at the top and what it looks more like is what happened over the last 10 years. The school could have hired Peterson and ended up with Kiffin, they could have hired Franklin and took instead Sark and Helton (it might have been interesting to have McSorley and Darnold as QB's). The job of the AD is to go out and search for the talent to coach the team, not sit back and watch the team play give the coach an extension. It is the old adage, "the more things change, the more they remain the same"........

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    As it stands, (we have to live with the decision) time will tell

15. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 25, 2018
    Hi gubo&palanka. There have been rumors, but nothing to report on. However, time will tell as players sit back and take in the Helton announcement and how any position coach changes might affect them. GK

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 25, 2018
    What the hell are you talking about. Swann was never part of a losing team at SC or Pittsburgh. If you want to contribute please be honest.

1974 1974 NFL AFC Central 1st 10 3 1 .750
    1975 1975 NFL AFC Central 1st 12 2 0 .857
    1976 1976 NFL AFC Central 1st 10 4 0 .714
    1977 1977 NFL AFC Central 1st 9 5 0 .643 Lost Divisional Playoffs (Broncos) 34–21
    1978 1978 NFL AFC Central 1st 14 2 0 .875
    1979 1979 NFL AFC Central 1st 12 4 0 .750 Won Divisional Playoffs (Dolphins) 34–14
    1980 1980 NFL AFC Central 3rd 9 7 0 .563
    1981 1981 NFL AFC Central 2nd 8 8 0 .500
    1982 1982 NFL AFC Central 4th[T][3] 6 3 0 .667

USC
    1974 10-1-1
    1973 9-2-1
    1972 12-0
    1971 6-4-1

BREWcorp likes this.
  17. valleytrojan

valleytrojan Active Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Other than the season ticket holders?

Arhedge and uscjrl98 like this.
  18. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Maybe Swann doesn’t have the power to fire a head coach ?

19. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    We have been riding an 18 year old Freshman (who came here in the Fall) through his ups and mostly downs this season....Yesterday he did things he had not done all year. He saw things better, he used the expanse of the field better...you can coach, teach till you are blue in the face but the QB has to see it. .......and it takes time...!

His education however is not complete...When the team looks to him that will mean he understands the importance of and commands the leadership his position demands. I can see that happening now .....I see him continuing to grow and the program with him......I think next year will be a revelation to us.....!

CFB is about scoring points and your QB has to be on it. We had been outplayed at that position all year. That's why we did not make it happen late in games and the opposition did....No it was not just the fumbles it was little things like drives being stopped by a yard or so but JT looked MUCH better.....!
    We gave up 24 points and that's relatively the 95 Bears in this CFB era......Clancy has done a hell of a job under duress...15 against Cal.....17 against Stanford.....We were in all these games except Texas and Utah and much of that was JT being overwhelmed on the road....Now that there is stability look for another good recruiting year....!

Yes it does matter that Swann played for McKay and Noll.......He is used to winning and has an idea of how to get there.....He see's I think, the Foundation being there and he is not going to mess with it.....Before Helton we had a two self centered OC's as head coaches (one a drunk). Helton came in and had consecutive 11 win seasons, a Rose Bowl Win and a Pac 12 Championship for the first time in 10 years .........I think the decision was the right one.........We shall see....!

ca4usc likes this.