IMHO Sunday: Those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Jun 6, 2021.

2. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Great article, Greg. Sad to realize how far this legendary program has fallen under the current administration and coaching staff.

3. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Before being disBANDED THE OC Trojan Club hosted many famous players from the past. All were eager to talk about SC football. Over 400 fans showed up for recruiting program

4. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Those were the days.
    Remember the 107k fans in the Coli against ND.
    Traffic was terrible.
    But the atmosphere was great.
    Wish those days would come back.

5. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    The best those were the days is..."When the Trojan players didn't care how fast they could get to the NFL but how fast they could win a national championship."

I remember when parking was less than $5 or you could park on the street and not worry about being mugged.

6. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Great read but couldn’t finish it because it made me sad of what SC FB once was.
    Always a fan but damn it gets harder every season.

7. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Friendly back and forths between SC/UCLA fans at the games, now you carry your life in your hands going to some games. Today I would not bring a child to Football games due to the nasty language tossed about and downright nasty disposition of so many; specially after a few drinks,,,

Sing along if you will because so much survives only in memory friends,,,

I feel so bad I got a worried mind I'm so lonesome all the time Since I left my baby behind On Blue Bayou Saving nickles, saving dimes Working til the sun don't shine Looking forward to happier times On Blue Bayou I'm going back someday Come what may To Blue Bayou Where the folks are fun And the world is mine On Blue Bayou Where those fishing boats With their sails afloat If I could only see That familiar sunrise Through sleepy eyes How happy I'd be Gonna see my baby again Gonna be with some of my friends Maybe I'll feel better again On Blue Bayou Saving nickles saving dimes Working til the sun don't shine Looking forward to happier times On Blue Bayou I'm going back someday Come what may To Blue Bayou Where the folks are fun And the world is mine On Blue Bayou Where those fishing boats With their sails afloat If I could only see That familiar sunrise Through sleepy eyes How happy I'd be Oh that boy of mine By my side The silver moon And the evening tide Oh some sweet day Gonna take away This hurting inside Well I'll never be blue My dreams come true On Blue Bayou

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  8. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 6, 2021
    Could interested and dedicated Trojan fans start another Trojan Club, with or without USC administration's support?

usc88 and in2nation like this.
  9. TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Those were great days. Was tough for me sometimes here in Michigan living right next to Ann Arbor. I took a lot of shit. But I always backed the TRojans. It was fun going through the week waiting fo rSaturday to see who we were gonna beat this week and who was going to really stand out. Then of course came Playoff November--"Pete Caroll doesn't lose in November" and our Super Bowl--usually the Rose Bowl. Off Season was spent frantically watching recruiting boards to see who was coming in. Heck I didn't even mind losing to Texas--I was enjoying the ride so much. The reason they were good days was because the team was teh opposite of what we have now--a well led, well coached, well prepared team. Players are progressing and getting better. Remember that one rose bowl where the Michigan D gave up like 42 yds a game rushing or sth? And we banged our heads against that teh whole first half and got nowhere-so the second half we passed the whole time? that's how you coach. In game changes. What we have now is a moron who just keeps running teh same plays over and over and hopes it might work. When PC first caem in the talent level was a bit low. but he coached well. Now the talent level is high and the coaching level is low.

There was one thing that bothered me the whole time from 2001-2009. Like a itch you can't scratch. That was knowing that at some point, PC was going to leave and it would be over. He came on board in 2001. By 2005 he was trying to get out. He was talking to the Cardinals about coaching them and drafting bush and leinart. 2006 he was talking to the Dolphins. But they wouldn't give him what he wanted--total control of the team. 2007 was a down year---until the end of 2008 when he started talking to the seahawks and in 2009 they gave him what he wanted and he left. So in the back of my mind, I was always wondering, if his heart in this...or is he looking at the dolphis game at halftime? this became very evident at the end of teh 2009 season after Corp blew the game vs. Washington. He was here physcially but not mentally.

I am afraid I can't forgive PC for building up my hopes so high and then bailing on me to go to the NFL. He said he had "Accomplished everything you can" at the NCAA level so he left. But Saban is not saying that. Saban is not like "well I have 6 NC I have done it all I am going to the NFL". I dream every so often of what it would of been like if PC had stayed here for 10 more years instead of using USC as a way back into the NFL, which is what he did. So I have mixed feelings. He gave us a great run, but also left us in trouble with the NCAA and ran out the door.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Actually before that. He had his agent working the telephone lines right after the Iowa Orange Bowl game following the 2002 season. I got this directly from a NFL exec.

I never resented Pete looking but what really bothered me was when Norm Chow's name was being linked to head coaching jobs elsewhere, people started calling him "Norm for Sale". The fact was, Pete was doing it a lot more than Norm but managed the leaks better so people would think he was completely loyal to us while interviewing elsewhere.

11. TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    I hate to rain on our only good parade of the past 35 years....but if you look at what PC did critically he acted like a jerk. He sucked as a coach in the NFL--Jets and Patriots fans hate him--so he formulated a plan. He was going to find a big name, big time college that had a huge media market to get back to the pros. He would put in his few years there do well, and ride the media wave to taking control of a NFL team. and that's exactly what he did. After Hackett was fired he was basically hanging around heritage hall begging anyone to give him the HC job. I can remember reading the posts from Scott Wolf about how everyday PC would show up asking for the job. I don't like Wolf but that was the truth. So he talked MG into giving him the job , put in a few good years until 2003 and was ready to leave.

12. BeachFAN

BeachFAN Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    and your point is...? you'd trade more so-so years for stability?? Im going to bet $50 that ANY sports fan would trade 5-7 years of incredible greatness and national championships instead of 20 years of 6-5, 8-4 records and random bowl games.

Did Pete want to be a NFL coach? as you point out.. OF COURSE!! this wasn't exactly a secret. He never wanted to be a lifetime CFB coach, although for the life of me I don't understand the allure of the NFL. Regardless it was a great time and the memories will never die.

Fight on!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    To say that the PC times that he acted like a jerk is not real.
    For some reason he had the coaching gift
    It also showed in the NFL. With the Seahawks.
    To piss on those were the days good times is surely a jerk.

14. GLA4USC

GLA4USC Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    I enjoyed your suggestion for the road trip to WSU. I've been there twice and it's an enjoyable change of pace. It's not flashy and cosmopolitan, but the scenery isn't what we get around here, and there's something refreshing about seeing a small college town in the middle of the wide open spaces. Also, it was my pleasure to watch, in person, Todd Marinovich's amazing come-from-behind drive to win a squeaker way back in 1989. If you're going to try to hit a variety of the conference sites, don't skip Pullman.

Rodgarnay51 and Greg Katz like this.
  15. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    We'd sing and dance forever and a day.......well we sure got the days in.....the forever.....hopefully will come again. He provided us a some great years.

Rodgarnay51 and Greg Katz like this.
  16. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jun 7, 2021
    I agree. It's sad. But we older fans who were around for McKay should also count our blessings. We have witnessed some of the most exciting football ever played.

Greg Katz, gubo&palanka and Cyrus like this.
  17. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jun 7, 2021
    It does but it's still fun and still holds my interest. I just don't go to the games anymore for a variety of reasons.

18. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Since the theme is about looking back and because I'm a fan of history, I gotta do it....

It's "Bataan Death March"....not Baton.

J4SC75 and Trojack like this.
  19. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Jun 7, 2021
    Hi USCvball. Apparently I was not a great history student, but it's the thought that counts. :) GK

J4SC75 likes this.