IMHO Sunday: The last man standing

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Trojan Forever

Trojan Forever Points Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Greg:
    Thanks for all of your wise reporting. You are a congenial Howard Cosell.
    I was fortunate enough to meet you at a practice about 10 years ago. We are both of the Howdy Dowdy generation and my first memory of SC was Jaguar Jon Arnett!
    Happy New Year!

Rigged4fun and Greg Katz like this.
  2. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Dec 29, 2019
    JDR seems like he would do whatever it takes to help the Trojan Family! He would even take the DC job under Gomer because he knows Gomer is a “joke” and within weeks the players will follow his leadership and learn what it takes to be a hard working, physical, disciplined football player.
    Believe me...there will be tackling at practice!! JDR might not have the best track record as an NFL coach, but he is what we Trojans need right now!
    JDR embodies what a Trojan Football player should be: as a dominant LB at USC, as a supportive Alum, motivator of men, Football IQ, etc...and for you Bohn ...“INTEGRITY”!
    After a few months the players we see Gomer for who he truly is: snake oil salesman, incompetent at all aspects of coaching, soft, lier, clueless, etc, etc...And will be asking for JDR to replace Gomer!

3. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Agreed, JDR would be a definite upgrade in several ways. But the problem , as others have mentioned, is whether this would advance what is almost certainly his ultimate interest: another head coaching gig at either USC or elsewhere. If he took the SC job in hopes that a stellar performance would advance him to the head position, such a result would likely be used by Bohn-Helton as leverage to keep Helton in place. On the other hand, if the whole thing implodes (a 5-7 win season next year) he would have no case and would likely not be carried over by the new coach. Same applies for Kris Richard.

It will be most interesting to see who is willing to sign on to the S.S. Trojatanic and occupy those deck chairs. My guess is youngsters such as Harrell with a developing career who have time for redemption if the ship sinks. I have long thought, and still do, that Helton has little respect among his fellow coaches. Few are willing to work under someone less accomplished or capable than themselves. This is why the strange "friends and family" nobodies of a coaching staff he initially assembled. In the end, it matters little who he gets; there is scant chance of any redemption for USC football as long as Helton remains. The weakness and insecurity of his coaching demeanor was already palpable, now it is screaming.

Rodgarnay51 and Troy70 like this.
  4. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Like the rest of you posters, I feel like ANY of the rumored DC candidates along with Chris Claiborne as our LB coach would be a step in the right direction. My frustration lies with the fact that this should have happened 5 minutes after the UCLA game ended regardless of the outcome of the Utah/Colorado game. My heart tells me that had JDR been hired as DC and Claiborne been named as LB coach, those two along with anyone else we sent into Justin Flowe's house would have made enough of a difference and gotten him to sign with USC. As per usual, we're a day late and a dollar short and even with a new DC, it takes time to instill toughness and change a culture of a team and I anticipate that we'll lose both Kedon Slovis and JT Daniels to injury in the opening game against Alabama. They are just going to throttle us.

Rodgarnay51, Esthersar and GoSC1 like this.
  5. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Thanks, Greg.

So to clarify......ALL of our options are either ex-players/coach?

This mentality/approach is the very reason we are in the position we are in.

And Bohned making the hire is the most bizarre thing Ive read in awhile....other than AwShucks being retained.

SMFH

Greg Katz likes this.
  6. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    If you’re still not convinced the Trojans have a long way to go to be physical and both sides of the line of scrimmage, you weren’t watching Iowa manhandle the Men of Troy.

Spot on, Greg. I watched the college playoff games with just that thought in mind. Iowa’s QB sneak for eight yards — and just the way they kept driving our DL backward as they continued to use their QB like a 240-lb battering ram — was painful to watch.

If Iowa, a mid tier Big10 team, exposed our D as the proverbial 98-lb weakling who gets sand kicked in his face and can do nothing about it, imagine what Alabama will do to us on Sept. 5th.

Rodgarnay51 and Greg Katz like this.
  7. Ztrogan

Ztrogan Points Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Greg, another very interesting perspective...and your ability to “perfume the pig” is bar none! This program is in complete shambles and it is because of the head coach! The only reason the candidates are former Trojans is because there are ZERO good coaches that want to come and work for the Clown! This program is in a death spiral and anyone that can change it won’t! Clay Helton has destroyed this PROGRAM and if we continue to “look for silver linings” while turning a blind eye to the real problem this will be what we get.

One quick clarification, the attendance at the Holiday Bowl was nothing short of embarrassing for a USC program! Again...”perfuming the pig” ;-)

Fight On!!

8. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Who from Tennessee is entering the transfer portal?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. Tj3333

Tj3333 Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    I am going to blow a freaking gasket if they can't manage to bring CC on board...

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Dec 30, 2019
    It's funny - actually not funny - but I used to think all those personal attacks on Helton questioning character and integrity were unnecessarily and unfairly piling by honestly frustrated and angry Trojan Family members whose anger had gone a tad too far.

But seeing how easily he's willing to throw his best friends under the bus , I have to wonder if they were going too far after all. Don't get me wrong - CP and Baxter must go now, as should Helton, by the way - but the ease which he throws his assistants under bus, including close friends, shows a shocking level of self-interest at all costs, for someone whose integrity is supposed to be his greatest asset.

Cyrus and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    He should have thrown them out last year, he kept them on for a year longer than he should. You make it sound like he chucked them real quick.... he didn't. They should have been tarmacked last year. I am pretty sure that Bohn told him that they must go and that HE will be hiring the new DC. Helton is a figure head right now - pure figure head. He has been neutered. Not sure I could walk away from a 3 to 5 million a year gig to protect my buddies either - and i AM a good man

12. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Dec 30, 2019
    Don't disagree with anything really. I just am taken aback by Helton's willingness to jettison these individuals as easily as he has. I think that they along with Helton should have all been gone end of last season. I just don't know long Helton thinks he can get away this.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Very well-put OrangeBill. I think Bohn needs to act quickly and decisively. That's the only way he is going to get us to calm down after he foolishly decided to retain Helton, with a costly delay of 11 critical days during the peak of recruiting.

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    I agreed with you at first and then caught myself. Helton has held on to many of his assistants WAY TOO LONG and has been FORCED to fire them because he wouldn't do it himself. His reasoning and motives certainly can be questioned, but I don't think it's accurate to say that it's easy for him to throw his assistants under the bus. Not from a loyalty or moral standpoint; he's just indecisive and seems to have a great deal of trouble owning up to his own mistakes.

15. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Dec 30, 2019
    I see your point , but I guess I see it as he is in charge and the buck should stop with him, and ready to let others pay the price for those mistakes rather than be accountable for them himself. Some generals fall on their sword, this general seems willing to let others fall on his, and that the impression I had of him initially and even earlier this year.

16. The Real LordMo

The Real LordMo Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Clearly the administration has decided that football is not a priority or a major concern.
    The current state of this once great athletic program is truly sad to see.

17. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    It’s not that it’s not important, or they don’t want to win...they just want to do it their way. And that way is not going to get it done.

Unless we luck into another Pete type hire, or these folks retire, this is the new norm.

Cyrus likes this.
  18. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Cupace20191231102729.png

19. The Real LordMo

The Real LordMo Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Jack Del Rio had accepted the Trojan job before I believe. We would not wait for him to finish coaching thru the playoffs.
    It would have been a good time to offer him the head coaching job again now. No way JDR or anyone of note comes to coach under Helton. We will need to wait this situation out. No improvement until then.