IMHO Sunday: Shoes begin dropping

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Aug 23, 2020.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Doubt Clay will be on the hot seat next fall because he is Folt’s HC. Playoffs aren’t her goal.

Merlin4SC, gubo&palanka and Canyon like this.
  3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 23, 2020
    Last night, I watched the NHL for the first time this season. I didn't even know they were playing. LOL

I knew MLB and the nba were playing but I don't watch professional baseball or any basketball. I also understand the NFL is preparing to play.

Greg, can you explain why the Pac-12 can't do what the NHL is doing?

Cyrus likes this.
  4. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Aug 23, 2020
    So the conference hires another executive in Hanks to take care of all football related issues in the conference. I guess this frees up Scott to enjoy his obscene salary and office digs while he focuses on all the non revenue sports and developing diddly winks as a varsity sport.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Aug 23, 2020
    They can't force unpaid kids to be locked up in a bubble for entertainment purposes. Professional sports leagues can since they are paying their "employee" players for the inconvenience. Plus labor laws and player association contracts dictate the level of control that teams have over players and their behavior during their season... while NCAA rules significantly constrain how much control and contact schools have over their student-athletes.

Minimal player salaries in 2019...
    NFL = $495,000
    MLB = $555,000
    NHL = $650,000
    NBA = $582,180

6. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Aug 23, 2020
    At this point, me thinks there should be a total reset button. No bowl games for those playing this year, no playoffs, no nothing. But if they insist on playing who are we to tell them they cannot? We knew this would happen and that the SEC would still play. Too many have no other life in the deep south but football. Who could blame them. But this year will have an asterisk with no National Champion crowned since we did not get to see all illegible teams participate. Not much will change by Spring, so what's the point?

Also would hate to see ND write obits considering their 12,500 population of students given that .007% would pass if they did nothing. BTW, that's .8-9 people they would lose if they took no extra measures to prevent spread. That probability is close to the number of students with asthma or diabetes, FYI, which makes sense. FBTW, while no direct corollary, 264 college age people died of all causes nationwide with 5 of COVID as of last week per CDC as of Aug 19th, 0 were male. I wonder how many are lost in a normal year to all causes.... whatever. I guess some students won't know they are actually at risk like Cam Smith was? Maybe the takeaway is for more thorough screening when shit like the virus is flying around.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Losing Vera Tucker would be a really big blow. While USC did recruit a lot of OL in 2020, and it isn't uncommon for 3 star OL to develop into effective players, it takes time for the line to jell. I know that Oregon had four graduating OL who were either drafted this year or signed FA contracts. Many of them started as freshmen but weren't very good as freshmen. USC's frosh OL would be starting as freshmen during Slovis' last year as USC QB. Not a good situation.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Aug 23, 2020
    Hi gubo&palanka. First, the NHL, MLB, and the NFL are full time professional jobs and have better chances of being monitored in "bubble" and family situations. College students have so much access to other students and a social life (campus fraternities parties, hangouts, and their livelihoods aren't on the line like a professionals. GK

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 23, 2020
    Thanks. I appreciate your response and PacTrojan's as well.

And yet ... the SEC will carry on. At least, that's the plan.

Are we supposed to believe the Pac-12 cares more about the kids than the SEC?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Give Jason reps, Fight On

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Active Member

Aug 23, 2020
    SEC country is unique country, traveling through there always makes me feel as if a DINOSAUR could appear around a corner. For fear of overstepping my freedom of speech/expression I will say no more about the deep south and how much it may value,,,,,,,.

12. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Aug 23, 2020
    The answer is yes they do. The SEC schools are largely in small college towns (College Station, Athens, Oxford, etc.). The economic impact on game day in College Station for the community is thought to be close to $50 million each game according to local officials, 7 games a year. They are willing to gamble a life for the money. The economic impact is less to most Pac-12 cities.

gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  13. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Aug 23, 2020
    It just means more.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Tiddlywinks. If you can’t spell, how do you expect to play it?

The Lizard King likes this.
  15. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Foosball is the devil