IMHO Sunday: Reflections of a lifetime recruitaholic

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Jan 31, 2021.

2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Interesting take from then and now. Flipping to the other side of a recruit’s perspective, because there is social media and you are so visible, the phone and social media never stops. Pretty soon outside of parents, they will need agents to help them in their decision process. Ok I am joking as the NCAA prohibits that, but little by little things are changing regarding player’s rights.
    Now let’s use Davis and his upcoming decision. Although it appears to be coming down to USC and Ohio State, you know he is still getting calls from Orgeron. Not to mention other recruiters who are trying the long shot approach. The point is that the information highway via the Internet has so much information that was only available through magazines back then, begins to level the playing field. It also puts more pressure on highly sought after recruits. You are talking about instant information versus having to wait for publications.
    Circling back to topic and Bohn, it seems he is placing a lot of emphasis on hiring staff with a proven track record of recruiting. He also snagged LSU’s media team. He sees value in the future of the ever changing player’s rights and he is going to use that as a selling point to future recruits. I am just waiting for him to broker a deal with Pepsi, Gatorade, or Nike to co promote the SC brand and a player like Foreman. Soon to be coming I anticipate as they get the Player’s rights figured out. That will be a game changer for both players and the University. He definitely has to think outside of box to stay competitive with Helton at the helm!
    Fight On!

3. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Thanks for the trip down RECRUITING memory lane, a time when we actually had to get our hands on published materials to get a clue about future Trojans....or read up on the LA Times, LB press Telegram, Daily News who all had extensive HS sports coverage....those were the days...

Right now, USC is well positioned to reap the benefits of the SOCIAL MEDIA age....we are in the media capital after all, so it feels great to have invested in that infrastructure...

The product on the field needs to show up, otherwise, kids wont give us a look see if we dont play and win our share of MEANINGFUL GAMES.....

Love the read.....

Greg Katz and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Thanks, Greg, for a very enjoyable read. Back in the early-mid 1990s, I liked reading the LA Times and LB Press-Telegram's sports sections on prep sports. One name that stuck in my mind for some reason was Jim McElroy, who played at Washington HS and later UCLA. He stuck out at me because he was small in size, but so talented that the Washington coaches tried all kinds of ways to get him the ball, including playing him at QB. I also unfortunately recall him, as a freshman, scoring a TD against us in the 1995 game.

Greg Katz likes this.
  5. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Thanks Greg
    Kerwin Bell. There’s a name from the past!

Greg Katz likes this.
  6. TrojanLee21

TrojanLee21 Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Nice write up. I found myself raising my hand a few times. I certainly recall Max Emfinger and the other recruitnik names.
    I also use to tune into the radio on Friday nights to hear Recruiting info on XTRA “the mighty 690” out of San Diego in the 90’s. Lee “Hacksaw” Hamilton would have guests as I recall, then I believe the show may have been taken over someone else.
    I still have the parade magazine (an insert in the Sunday paper) from 1979 which had several Trojan’s listed (G. Achica, J. Browner, D.Mosebar, M. Moore, D. Dossett, M.Harper) and Eric Dickerson running the ball in his glasses.
    I also used to go out early to get the “Best in the West” listings and the signing day issues of the papers.
    And yes, sadly, I have gone to 100% internet to get my fix as of today.

Greg Katz likes this.
  7. TrojanLee21

TrojanLee21 Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    I meant ‘78

Rodgarnay51 and Greg Katz like this.
  8. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Excellent read. You are a far more accomplished version of myself as a recruiting addict, although we are almost the same age. My earliest USC recruiting memory was OJ Simpson deciding to become a Trojan after his time at CCSF.

I do have one major claim to fame however. I might be the only person on this board (besides possibly yourself) that talked recruiting with John McKay.

While still a senior in high school, I got roped into setting up the seating/refreshments at a Ventura County Trojan Club meeting when the alum responsible (my neighbor) was running very late. Besides greeting McKay and Craig Fertig (they arrived well before the meeting started and I had a chance to generally talk to them about the team and about my future as a college athlete. They treated me well...great guys...funny), I also sat in on the meeting, which happened the year after the Blair Pair signed with UCLA. During the QA, I asked McKay about that year's two major USC running back signees, Anthony Davis and Allen Carter. John said..."Anthony Davis is a very good running back, but I honestly feel like Allen Carter has the ability to be the best running back I've ever seen." John was off on that prediction, but Carter..playing for Bonita High that year, clearly seemed to be the better high school back.

Getting nostalgic thinking back to those years. "We are SC" really meant something then.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  9. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Thank you for taking us down memory lane, times my son makes fun of when I talk about them.
    Thank you for being our Edward G. Robertson, tip my hat to you Mr Katz

Greg Katz likes this.
  10. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Started following recruiting while in high school in the late 50's. Remember the Milk Bowl? Was happy when the McKeever's, Don Buford, Ron Mix all signed with SC. I would get some recruiting info listening to Jim Healy and Sam Balter (both bRuins). When McKay came in recruiting really picked up, getting the likes of Willie Brown, Craig Fertig, Pete Beathard et al. Never really knew who signed until reading the Times the following day.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Rodgarnay51, Greg Katz and Rigged4fun like this.
  11. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Jan 31, 2021
    I remember reading the old recruiting pamphlets and wondering just who SC would get. Indeed John McKay's recruiting was much more stepped up. I remember when Mike Garrett was recruited and seeing him on the frosh team just excited our anticipation of years of program greatness. Great article Greg!

Rodgarnay51 and Greg Katz like this.
  12. Trojan Man 30

Trojan Man 30 Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Another great write up Greg! Brings me back down memory lane! Alhambra High class of "79". Played against Bruce Matthews of Arcadia High in League and then lost to them in the CIF semi finals! Also the Brightwood guy (Alex Garcia) from "75".

Greg Katz likes this.