IMHO Sunday: Mike Bohn - USC's master football planner

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Two words Alabama, Cincinnati. What is the trend after a big season? Teams poach assistants and coordinators. Bama lost its OC and OL coach Cincinnati lost it's DC. Anyone with a brain knows what's inevitable. The difference between USC, Saban and Fickell is the heart and soul of the team is the head coach not the coordinators. They will just reload. USC on the other hand will be stuck with Clay Helton and rebuilding again in 2022.

2. TrainerDave74

TrainerDave74 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Bigger problem.
    Way back when we always had a few guys with a serious street mentality. (Read in un-convicted criminal attitude). Nowadays it’s guys who want to go to school and graduate. Very different.
    As long as the university wants academic success over football it will be street kids (read SEC) vs the academic schools (Stanford, ND and USC’s) Sunday school kids.
    On whom would you bet?
    Pete was one in a million. He would be tough to replicate in this world. He could make my mom run through fences.
    Different world nowadays.
    Enjoy what you have, or some kind of positive thoughts rather than putting a recruiting station outside juvenile hall like Alabama. (Joke, maybe...).

3. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    You live and die on your QBs and for some reason, Harbaugh cannot attract one that can take them to the next level. He's basically been coaching Matt Fink-level QBs the entire time he's been there. The one he went with this year would be fighting for reps on our scout team.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  4. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Regardless of what it is said about Saban and his strict discipline, if you want the best chances of making it to the next level regardless of your background, that is the program to be in. Same with Carroll, if your goal was to make it to the next level, then you conformed to his program. Several of Helton’s problems is that he does not develop his players, nor can he best use the players that he recruits. There are of course outliers, but the kids have to see what lies at the end of their college duration. Just because you have a coach that so-called loves you, did he prepare you for the next level, and therein lies the problem with Helton!
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. Rose Bowl 2004

Rose Bowl 2004 Member

Jan 17, 2021
    University of San Diego, not San Diego State

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    I don't believe the article. I don't believe that the AD would take it upon himself to hire football assistant coaches, and suspect there is absolutely not evidence that he is. That would be as outrageous to a head coach as it would to an English professor if the university president went into his class and specified how he should deliver a specific lecture.

Why would Bohn do that if he is planning on firing Helton in a year or two? Does he think that some new up and coming coach replacing him, like a Campbell, would be okay with his staff already being in place by Bohn when he was hired?

I doubt that the USC head coaching job is nearly as attractive to Trojan fans would like to think it is. No coach worth his salt would allow the AD to choose his staff for him.

Also, we should all notice that a program, even a storied one like USC, cannot "fire it's way to the top". USC has fired 3 coaches in the last ten years, and arguably gotten worse with each one. Certainly few people would say the program is in better shape under Helton than it was under Kiffin. How many programs that have won national championships in the last 30 years, have managed to fire their way back to the top?

Certainly not USC, Texas, Florida, Florida State, Nebraska, or a handful of others. While I can agree that Helton's time has run its course, there is a curious belief that our heritage, our birthright, is to go 13-1 every year and make it to the CFP and all we have to do is replace Helton and we'll get there. We aren't Ohio State or Alabama. We aren't the USC of 15 years ago. And pretending that simply firing every coach who wins only 2/3 of his games will get us there, is foolhardy.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    heyrev and bob c in az like this.
  7. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    I think it is how the contracts are written pertaining to duration. I know Harrell and Orlando’s are timed with Helton. I don’t know about the terms given to this S&C coach. I also truly believe this hire was Bohn’s hire having ties back in Cincinnati. There is no way Helton could figure this out for himself. If you remember, The brief Kingsbury hire was because he had the same agent as Helton. I think we have to call a Spade a Spade and that Bohn is doing whatever he can to upgrade our program knowing there is nothing he can do with Helton until his contract expires!
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    We are always SC! And even now, we are only the right HC away from regular trips to the playoffs and an NC every other year. FTFO!!!

9. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 18, 2021
    So I guess you're saying all of these people came out of Helton's Rolodex because of the wide respect he has generated in the coaching community? And who says that Bohn is going to fire Helton in a year or two BESIDES the fans? For all you know, his instructions from the top are that Helton coaches through his contract and not a day sooner and if that is truly the case, I think it's pretty obvious what Bohn is doing. If getting rid of Helton is going to be that hard, he'll just do the next best thing and make sure Helton has good assistants around him to brace the fall. Did you notice all of those contracts are timed to Helton's? That's not happenstance.

I do agree with you that the USC head coaching job is not nearly as attractive as what we fans would like to think it is but not for the reasons you think. USC is a much, much different culture than it was even 15 or 20 years ago. Back then, the number one goal was to do what ever it took to put a potential championship team on the field. And we did that with PC. And then the NCAA dropped Fat Man and Little Boy on the program and suddenly you have a BOT and Administration who have taken a blood oath that they will never have a football coach they couldn't control like they control a non-tenured professor. You would have to be a pretty special coach to walk into something like that with a big smile on your face, which is to say, there are not a lot of candidates we would want who would take the job under those circumstances.

gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  10. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Jan 18, 2021
    2019 record was 8-5. 2020 was 5-1. That's called an improvement people. mike-bohn-clay-helton-112319-getty-ftr_9b56q1y7vp3s1n11do9ravch5.jpg

11. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 18, 2021
    upload_2021-1-18_9-54-46.gif

Gilesmiles likes this.
  12. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Clay is luckiest guy ever missing Bama, ND. Bet he wins Megamillions, oh, he has

gubo&palanka and OC2SC like this.
  13. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Do you think Bohn is intentionally hiring assistant coaches who will be jettisoned as soon as Helton is fired and a new coach comes in? That's really hard to believe.

If Bohn and Folt really do demand a head coach they can control, then no great coach is ever going to come here if he is the type that feels he should not have to answer to anybody.

Maybe that is appropriate, since the head football coach should be accountable to the AD, the president, and the BOT.

14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Absolutely. Look at the terms of their contracts. They are all multi-year contracts that run the length of what is remaining on Helton's. You don't think that was by design?

And yes, no great coach is ever going to come here if he is the type that feels he should not have to answer to anybody. That's why some of the names on everyone's short list for Helton's replacement are so laughable.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 18, 2021
    are you sure about the length of their contracts? Where did you get that information?

16. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Brilliant analogy... think Shawshank Redemption. We're Red at the end, "You just go ahead, sonny, and stamp that thing..."

17. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Both Harrell and Donte Williams are definitely on 3-year contracts, the former being a contract extension after one season. Orlando is also on a multi-year contract but I don't know how many years it runs. You can Google it. Naivar came over with Orlando and it's doubtful he only got one year but I could not find anything that substantiates a multiyear contract. S'oto and Snyder I have no idea about but in Snyder's case, I doubt he would leave someplace after being there for 27 years unless Bohn gave him at least a little bit of security.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  18. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 18, 2021
    I know it was in one of Erik’s threads. I don’t know about all of the assistants, but I remember Erik was saying both Harrell and Orlando’s were timed with Helton’s contract, that should have been the tell tale that Helton was going no where unless he messed up on his own!
    Fight On!

Trojack likes this.
  19. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Maybe you're right, but I don't see that information anywhere. I wonder why a private school like USC would put the details of individual employee contracts on the web? It makes no sense to me.