IMHO Sunday: Mike Bohn - USC's master football planner

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Jan 17, 2021.

2. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Love your column Mr. Katz. I need to correct you as to the last national champion caliber Trojan team. If in 2008 the playoff system was the same as the current system no one would have beaten the 2008 team--hence that was the last national championship caliber.

Jay4usc and LucGomez40 like this.
  3. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Great writeup.
    Lets see........we hire Ike, Patton, MacArthur and Pershing for the staff......but keep.......Westmoreland as head coach and Johnson as president. Wonder how that would work out.
    My bet.....Ho Che Minh laughs his ass off.

VM805, GLA4USC, jjg4sc and 7 others like this.
  4. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Great article but one very important correction...Graham Harrell was hired on January 28, 2119 well before Mike Bohn was hired as AD. That hire took place on Swann's watch. However, Bohn extended him for three years in December of that year so only indirectly are his fingerprints are on that hire.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Troy70 likes this.
  5. Trojan Forever

Trojan Forever Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    I noted that also. However, we need to cut Greg a little slack. Don't we all wish to forget the Trojans being embarrassed by mighty Iowa.

6. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021

As stated in"usc1011's post...all the Master Planner talk is nothing more than another dead end to failure by a "Bohnhead" planner for the "Folt Circus" who loves their failed "Ringmaster Helton" and his beloved best clown "Air Brain Harrell".

Well, Urban Meyer is no longer available, so we can now look at maybe getting Pee Wee Hermans cousin, or Don Knotts uncle?

VM805 and usc1011 like this.
  7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Folt keeps her coach & I save my $$$ until SC gets serious again about football.

OC2SC, Jose, DaFireMedic and 4 others like this.
  8. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 17, 2021
    "However, for USC fans, they continue to feel like a long-term USC football prisoner who annually has their parole turned down. "

Right on!

OC2SC, ClovisTroy, jjg4sc and 6 others like this.
  9. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Why now? How come after a nearly a month after our season is over Jinks has a revelation about our RB rotation. He has had these kids now since Deland left. Then he makes a stupid ass comment about Christon’s weight and playing time. The guy is an idiot and should have been canned with Drevno and Ausmus. I guess finishing last in the PAC12 in rushing gives you a free pass!
    Fight On!

10. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Why do some people assume the run game failed because Drevno doesn't have an air raid background? If anything, a coach with an AR background will only enable what Harrell has been doing. Harrell doesn't prioritize the run game and doesn't know how to fix it. When asked if he was worried about rushing for 5 yards in a game, he basically responded with a "who cares."He refuses to adapt. When Helton was asked about taking the QB under center he responded, "that's just not us."
    We need to hire an OL coach and give him the title of run game coordinator. He needs to take the running game away from Harrell. He would be in charge of play design and execution. Harrell's philosophy of having " a handful of running plays and practicing them over and over," will not work in the P12. Our running game could parallel what Oklahoma is doing. This offense has become predictable and easy to defend. Harrell needs to be forced to adapt.

jjg4sc likes this.
  11. Trojnfn4

Trojnfn4 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    This is another example of the USC football program being a total train wreck. Bohn's job is not to hire assistant coaches for Helton, that is Helton's job, and if Helton is not capable of doing that then he doesn't deserve to be the Head Coach. Another aspect to this scenario, is that if Bohn does fire Helton after next season, what head coach in their right mind is going to accept two or three assistant coaches that are already at USC? Any Head Coach worth their salt is going to want to bring in their own staff, and most important of these staff members is the S&C Coach. Why is it that after twelve years of dysfunction within the football program, the powers that be still cannot get their act together?

gubo&palanka and VM805 like this.
  12. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    You cannot force someone to change their ideology, or for Harrell, his failed offensive air raid playbook theory.

You cannot undo a "that's just not us" attitude from a five year failure of a head coach who fails to back up any of his promises.

You cannot change the offensive lines character by naming a new O-line coach and giving him the title of run game coordinator who will be always up against the air raid offensive coordinator.

All examples above and five years under coach Helton lead to a very obvious conclusion...the offensive coordinator is a failure with his no run air raid that has NEVER won a championship. The head coach is the only position that has not been replaced on the USC football cadre list. Therefore...gea new head coach that has the proven credentials to win championships and dynamite the notion of ever having another air raid first offense by firing the O.C. and reinstalling the physicality and run/pass diversity that has been the hallmark of winning teams in collegiate football.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hi Trojack, yes, you are correct about the original hiring of Graham Harrell, but my point was that it was Bohn, hired in early November of 2019, who made a quick decision to extend Harrell's contract after one season, so from my point of view he had a bigger impact than the original hiring of Harrell in January 2019. I do, however, understand your time sequencing to where we are today. Thanks for participating on the Garry P. message board. Greg.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hi ILUSC, what was I thinking? I must still be having a hangover from that humiliating loss to Iowa in the Holiday Bowl! You are correct and thank you. I have made the appropriate editing. Maybe I just felt bad for Clay Helton and wanted to bury that embarrassment for him. Fight On, and thanks again for correction. Greg

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Did Michigans’s AD Manuel make a stipulation to changeout Harbaugh’s staff when he gave him his 5 year extension? It sure seems that way with the exception that Harbaugh is finding his own replacements. But we all know Harbaugh is not Helton!
    Fight On!

16. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    The difference is, Harbaugh knows how to build programs and be successful. His record at San Diego St, Stanford & the 49ers are proof of that. It’s kind of strange after all the years he’s been at Michigan, he can’t seem to get it going. The last few coaches who were there had the same problem....

gubo&palanka and DaFireMedic like this.
  17. Bilbo

Bilbo Points Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Bohn.. head of football programming.. wonderful.. just another case of a person who does not how to do his job.. if he was a competent AD we would have a competent head football coach
    What was once a first rate program is no longer .. will it be great again .. I doubt it

OC 949 likes this.
  18. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Jan 17, 2021
    I’ve been in a situation where I was stuck with a lousy managerial level employee. I surrounded said manager with excellent people until I could move on from said manager. The end game was never far from my mind.

I can’t help but think that Bohn is in the same situation.

gubo&palanka, VM805, jjg4sc and 4 others like this.