IMHO Sunday: Elimination irony starts Helton decision clock ticking

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Dec 1, 2019.

2. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    60/40, down from 70/30. I must admit I don't like those odds. I'm glad I'm not in Bohn's shoes.

Esthersar and Ambrosia Harwood like this.
  3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 1, 2019
    "Beating an Arizona and a Colorado is one thing, but beating Ohio State, Alabama and Notre Dame – once a USC calling card – is quite another. "

Even the great Big 12-style win over Ped State was marred by the defense, which is run by one of Helton's two security blankets. Giving up touchdowns on 7 straight possessions is not Trojan football. Well, it didn't use to be but it is now.

4. Ngdoug

Ngdoug Points Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Honestly it worries me to hear any odds of the “clueless one” returning. I’m so sick of all this mediocrity. All right already!! Let’s move on and make the right move. How can people in this position ,(Bohn and Folt)not get that this is a no brainer decision. F*(&$#)’”;k!!!

5. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Good article. Please excuse the fact that what you have written recently is going to make me rant a bit. I've seen that you've used the term "Gentleman Clay" many times recently....like it matters. It doesn't. Simply put, you don't pay someone $4M to be a gentleman. You pay someone $4M to compete for national championships.

Also, although you claimed in a recent article that most coaches would give game balls to Folt and Bohn after the UCLA game, I disagree with that. It was a phony suck-up move, which is the equivalent of a student giving a teacher an apple after class in hopes of getting a better grade. 90% of coaches wouldn't stoop to that level. Clay does.

....Clay has said repeatedly over the last 4 years that he fully understands and embraces the fact that at USC, the bar head coaches are measured on is winning championships. He isn't doing that.

If he was a true gentleman, he'd do what Gary Anderson did at Oregon State a couple of years ago. He'd state that he realizes he is not measuring up to the standards he set for himself and step down. The fact that he isn't doing so shows a lack of character that makes him unworthy of the moniker "Gentleman Clay".

...... One final point. As far as changing his special teams and coordinators. This is the exact same situation USC was in a couple of years ago when virtually everyone who followed the team realized that Bradford and Calloway were performing horribly and had to go. Clay stubbornly retained them however. At the end of last season, it was clear to almost everyone that Clancy and Baxter were failing at their jobs and needed to be fired. Like Calloway however, they were close buddies of Clay, and he refused to let go of them. The result was another year of generally crappy special teams and defensive performances, especially given the top-5 level of talent these guys had at their disposal. For Clay to use their performance as an excuse for not winning the Pac 12 south and be given another year would be the height of stupidity, especially given the fact that he stubbornly insisted they remain on his staff after last year's debacle.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    I agree with everything you wrote here Gary, great article. Clay may indeed be a gentleman, but that’s not what they are paying him for.

And this isn’t Cincinnati or Chapel Hill. Folt and Bohn weren’t USC fans last season during 5-7. They may not have the same perspective as the fans and boosters that 8-4 after a 5-7 year just isn’t good enough for a major football program. We all wanted someone unconnected to USC as president and AD, but this is a potential negative side to that.

7. Ambrosia Harwood

Ambrosia Harwood Points Member

Dec 1, 2019
    I hope the decision comes quickly. I love USC football but if they retain Mr. Magoo for another season I may have to give up my tickets. I donate to the TAF, spend a lot of money, time and energy for what has been an inferior product. We have been so bad 5 of our 6 games are at night. Maybe I'm just getting old but sad to say I may have to jump ship.

Coto Trojan 43 likes this.
  8. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Great article, Greg. I loved your comment at end of the article about McKay, Robinson and Carroll not only talking about being physical but actually practicing it. USC, under Kiffin, Sark and Helton has completely gotten away from playing physical football.

Hockey10 and Ambrosia Harwood like this.
  9. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Helton has been HC for 4 years. He had a spurt during the Darnold years.
    But you could see a decline throughout..
    The bad second half’s without any adjustments. The lack of discipline and poor
    tackling. The loss of five star recruits to other programs that even in bad times
    would come to USC.
    If this continues USC will be at the bottom of the Pac12.
    A HC change is need to go in a better direction

10. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 1, 2019
    More like 100% that Helton is staying, I think.

IMO, there's no way an 8-4 coach is going to be fired for doing what the AD essentially told him to do -- to "finish strong" (win the rest of the games).

11. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    I for one I'm glad you aren't the one making the decision because "finish strong" is more like winning your division and having a chance to win the PAC 12, 8-4 does not reflect "strong".

Ambrosia Harwood likes this.
  12. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Bohn said that after USC, with its 4 losses, was already out of the division race, fyi.

13. Troyview

Troyview Points Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Greg

I enjoyed your perspective. I am hoping in the decision that Folt and Bohn need to make that they also consider that as long as Helton is head coach SC will never attract top notch coordinators, in addition to a new coach, is desperately needed. I also hope they ask themselves exactly how many of Helton’s recruits he has developed and put into the NFL . How has he performed without the benefit of Sam Darnold’s improvisations on the field? Helton has clearly failed to enhance or even maintain the SC brand and it’s legacy. He needs to go.

14. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 1, 2019
    It wouldn't have mattered given the time frame he entered the school. Sounds more like generic PR speak from an AD that knows what needs to really happen. Not like he's going to say no comment.

15. SCFan82

SCFan82 Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Great article as always Greg.
    I think one of the great qualities of all of our championship coaches (McKay, Robinson, and Carroll) is great attention to detail. Think about the first play of this season. A great kickoff return nullified by 2 number 7’s on the field ....WHAT??? This is a classic example of CCH tenure at USC. How many times have we heard, we control our destiny as far as the PAC-12 championship is concerned. Well, that is a fine goal at Stanford or Cal, but at USC, we have strived, with a singular focus, to win national championships. If we do that, then Pac12 championships take care of themselves. In the past, our coaches were truly pissed when they lost a single game. Clay just says, “we’ll get things cleaned up and come back next week”.

It is time for Bohn/Folt to show a true commitment to return our football team to national prominence and end Haden/Swann’s laziness to do the right thing rather than the easy thing. Otherwise, this program is going to be in a hole that’s going to take a decade to dig itself out of.

OC2SC, Troy70 and Hockey10 like this.
  16. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 1, 2019

They'll be rightfully blamed for it's continued demise

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  17. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    What time is the team meeting today?

18. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    I’m not sure what the decision will be, but I think if it were 100% that Helton was being retained, it would have already been announced.

19. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Though he didn't change what the last AD demanded, and that was to clean up the lack of discipline seen with excessive penalties and mistakes. I think finish strong was the minimum and hopefully the total package is seen wanting.

By the way, Bohn saw that Cronin at Cincinnati was a winning basketball coach, but decided not to renew his contract because the Bearcat basketball team was not advancing in the NCAA tournament. Hopefully he sees that Helton represents the same issue at SC.