IMHO Sunday: Am I dreaming the Trojans to open at UCLA

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Aug 2, 2020.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    CV is the pass Clay gets for another season as HC, live with it even if it hurts. Lol

Greg Katz and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Greg,
    Thanks for posting your top 5 songs. "I know you’re out there somewhere" by The Moody Blues is a superb song. I enjoyed a nice evening rediscovering how deep their music catalogue is.
    The 8-track player is on the retirement list thankfully rock and roll never forgets.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Greg Katz likes this.
  4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Hahahaha! Exactly what I was thinking when I saw "legendary coach Terry Donahue."

To be fair, Donahue had some great teams, had that long bowl winning streak, and UCLA was almost always at least a dangerous team under him, but it was he, IMO who turned UCLA away from the potential national juggernaut they could have become (Red Sanders and Tommy Prothro certainly had UCLA contending at a national level) and into the "jealous little brother" persona the program has to this day. It was his very notion of the "USC season" that meant that the overriding goal in any given UCLA season was to beat USC.

Not "contend for the Pac 10 championship," not "contend for national titles," not "strive to be the premier program in college football," but simply, "beat USC." That's the epitome of the loser's attitude, of having the primary nourishment of your program and its fans the schadenfreude of seeing your rival humbled.

Greg Katz likes this.
  5. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    During Helton’s first 2 years I thought we had our own Donahue, a nice guy who is a good recruiter and can be successful if the assistants are good but not an elite HC. Now I am not sure he is even that.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Aug 4, 2020
    He was pretty good. 170 career wins and a winning record against USC, which always outrecruited him.

Greg Katz likes this.
  7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    My dorm buddy played Moody Blues every day

Greg Katz likes this.