I'm confused with the towel wavers on the sidelines

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GoSC1, Oct 6, 2014.

1. I'm confused with the towel wavers on the sidelines
    GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Oct 6, 2014
    It looks really forced and unreal, and are they actually players? I would assume that they are, but I have read comments like they are frat boys in uniforms and such. Is THAT Sark's viewpoint of having a loose and fun sideline is all about?

2. 60yearsatrojan

60yearsatrojan Junior Member

Oct 6, 2014
    I concur Gosc1. What gives with that strange behavior? Never have I witnessed anything remotely resembling that nonsense. Whatever it's intentions, whomever it's constituents, it does not belong on a USC football sideline.According to the announcers, the antics were brought about at Sarkashion's behest. That is even a stranger fact if true.

3. TrojanTenor1

TrojanTenor1 Junior Member

Oct 6, 2014
    We already have Song Girls/cheerleaders who already know what they are doing on the sideline (much better to look at too), we don't need freshman walk-ons doing half-ass cheers/towel waving when they should be concentrating on the game, a lot of these guys are going to have to lead this team in the future, and that the football classroom extends into game day itself whether your playing or not.

I'm all for positive feedback and rallying behind your teammates, but come on, if your a SC fan its just embarrassing, and to non-fans, makes SC look like a laughing stock, STOP IT!!

FIGHT ON!!

4. Lunderful

Lunderful Junior Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Not even goofy-prone high school students act out like that. Very manufactured......phony city.

5. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Sark wanted more energy on the sideline after BC game. We had the same antics for the Oregon State game. It was forced and stupid. Somebody needs to show Sark how ridiculous that looked.

6. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Oct 6, 2014
    What people do in their own bedrooms is their business, but they should know better to keep that ghey crap off of the sidelines.

7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Thanks everyone for clearing that up...... put those towels back where they belong. Nothing is worse than fake jovialty. Wanna bring back the vibe amongst the players Sark? Try winning. Try letting them play - LET HELTON call the plays and you be head coach. I just can't shake this feeling, I've been trying, really. But, what I saw on Saturday night absolutely disgusted me - on the field, AND on the sidelines.....have SC stooped so low that they have to FAKE motivation? That wasn't Trojan football - that flipping team across town used to play like that - towel waving? What's flippin next - a day where the seniors jump the wall?

8. BuTrojan

BuTrojan Junior Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Other than getting pissed at the refs during the Stanford game, how about sark get the coaches to bring energy.

9. LakeTroDodgeRaidKing

LakeTroDodgeRaidKing Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Omg... I wanted to punch those clowns on the sideline so bad! So staged and fake.. and made losing the game that much harder to watch with those idiots dancing around like pansies! It's one thing if it's the starters trying to keep everyone hype, but these walk on/frat boys who never see the field, disgraced the Trojan uniform. I felt they disrespected the honor of wearing the cardinal and gold!

10. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    It's the Sprit of Troy Bro-jans dance troupe

11. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Coach Sark has changed it up for this week's game due to many concerns. They will be put in a more professional light.....

[​IMG]

12. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for supporting our walk ons. Funny thing about walk-ons, they do what the coaches tell them to do.

13. TrojanHoarse

TrojanHoarse Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I'd rather have our players jumping/bouncing/showing life/energy on the sidelines rather than it resembling a library. I thought it was just Scott Wolf's little troll corner of the internet that was bothered by what players on the sidelines are doing. I'm all for players doing whatever they want or have to do on the field in order to get/stay pumped up and engaged.

14. BuTrojan

BuTrojan Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Lack of real energy and enthusiasm is a symptom of a far greater problem

15. gotrojans1

gotrojans1 Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    it looked stupid, who cares how loud the sideline is, some great players are quiet on the field and on the sideline, to me a self motivated player who just goes out and gets after it is the ideal guy, its sc go after it who cares

it looks like walk ons, guys who would not even be on the team had we not been shot by the ncaa, only guys i saw that i knew were dorton and simmons

16. jpsocal65

jpsocal65 Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I've got an idea. How about more energy on the field!

17. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I do remember seeing Malik Dorton down their in the mix but he did not look like he wanted to be doing so.
    I believe I say Don Hill as well.

The bottom line is that we do not have much intensity on the sideline and what they are doing is not genuine.
    EVERY 3rd down you see them with their towels jumping around like we are at a party.
    I look at them and feel like that moment when your parents ask you to do something and you don't want to, yet the moment they turn to look you act as if you are all into it?
    You can tell the kids think it's a joke because they are all laughing and giggling like wtf is so funny?
    I don't think this is something that should be forced especially if that is the way we respond to it.

18. ghjlakers

ghjlakers Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Form my advantage point across from the team, a few times when a player tossed up the yellow towel, I thought it was a flag for a penalty!

19. FightOnUSC

FightOnUSC Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I was laughing every time they showed the bench. Didn't think it looked forced, they were just a little too hyped up. 17, Alex Bridgford looked the silliest of them all.

20. MNWolfman

MNWolfman Junior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Huh, interesting. Do you remember the shock and outrage on behalf of the Penn State and Illinois fans at the SC players dancing on the sideline during the Rose Bowl? They thought we were disrespecting them AND the game itself. Of course, Coach PC loved it...as he always has. He wanted the kids to have fun and keep a high level of energy on the sidelines. I think back to the kiffin/barkley debacle vs UCLA at the rose bowl in the rain. I sat behind the sc bench and it was like a morgue. no passion, no energy, NOTHING.

I can appreciate the feelings on this, especially after a tough loss. They looked goofy, and it felt contrived. But I don't remember people complaining about it when Coach PC was endorsing it. Just saying is all I'm saying.

21. trojan9999

trojan9999 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2014
    When I see the towel wavers, this is what I can't help but see them as:

22. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Oct 8, 2014
    For me, it was just bewildering.

Who were the guys in the camo shirts? I don't spend enough time familiarizing myself with the faces of college kids to know if they were injured players or not (who seemed to be in regulation team gear, like Bigelow).

Moreover, I was referencing the roster and trying to match up the numbers to the kids standing on the bench, trying their best to inspire some esprit du corps. It was just weird.

I have no problem with a genuine level of excitement on the sideline: see the spirit and electricity during those Rose Bowl beatdowns of Illinois and Penn State. That was organic and authentic. This just seemed contrived. I understand what Sark's trying to do, to have every member of the team engaged with what's going on on the field. To me, edicts from the head coach aren't how that's accomplished. That has to come from vocal leaders of the team. Kessler, Pullard, Cravens, LW, Tuerk: these are the leaders of this team, it's THEIR job to rally the troops.

23. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Seeing that garbage on the sideline reminded me too much of this...

[​IMG]

24. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Oct 8, 2014
    They need a bubble machine, it really charged up the Dodgers.

Win or lose, as long as we have 'swagger' it's all good, right?

25. Traveler42

Traveler42 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I'm all for guys celebrating on the sideline when the sentiment is genuine, but that just felt forced and I got the impression the players had been ordered to do it. I felt bad for them. They should not have been made to do that. Let's get back to winning games and stop the nonsense. I hope that's the last time we see something like that.

26. TrojanSpear

TrojanSpear Junior Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I'm confused with the towel wavers on the sidelines,,,,,,

Don't be. Just bring your towel for next home game and join along. Confusion over.

27. SoCalGreg2014

SoCalGreg2014 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Heard they were going to do the Gangnam style dance at the Arizona game...

28. Navyhelodriver

Navyhelodriver Junior Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Unfortunately it reminded me of the gas station scene from Zoolander.

29. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Oct 9, 2014
    I'd much rather have my walk - on's. Sitting on the bench pissed off that they are not playing. Then jumping up and down celebrating the fact that they are bench warmers. I guess I'm old fashioned. Plus shouldn't they be studying the game just in case they see the field anytime soon.