If we want a return to Tailback U...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by USCDDS, Oct 16, 2019.

1. If we want a return to Tailback U...
    USCDDS

USCDDS Points Member

Oct 16, 2019
    ...USC needs to hire a head football coach who believes in a power football offense (which we haven't seen since Norm Chow left).

While I doubt he'd ever leave Wisconsin, Paul Chryst is an example of a coach who embraces a power-running system, AND, has proven it can be a winning system in a Power 5 conference. The next AD needs to hire a guy like Chryst, have him hire a kick-ass offensive line coach, go out and recruit the biggest/meanest O-linemen in California and the fastest/most powerful RB's out West, and let them loose.

Posters longing for the glory days of the USC power running game...yet so many of them throwing out names of potential HC's who aren't necessarily associated with that type of system.

I will say, I think Urban Meyer is a creative enough coach that he can fit his "system" who whatever type of players he has on a roster. What other candidates will be out there where when you hear their name, you think "power run game"?

fssca51, SCBIGTIME and SoCalN8tiv like this.

2. Yup All Right

Yup All Right Junior Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Eh. The West Coast doesn't have a lot of the elite OL who would be needed for such a system. And to win a NC you need to be able to pass; schools like Bama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma all use some form of the spread.

3. USCDDS

USCDDS Points Member

Oct 16, 2019
    If Wisconsin is able to recruit enough O-line and RB talent to run their system, USC should be able to!
    Obviously a passing game/offensive balance is important if you're going to win championships. I personally think a spread system only works though when you have an athletic QB and the QB keep is in the playbook.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Oct 16, 2019
    You need an offense capable of lighting it up as well as grinding it out. Most championship caliber teams have versatile offenses with multiple weapons and ways to move the ball on you. It is rare that a truly good team has a one-dimensional offense.

DaFireMedic, SCBIGTIME and SoCalN8tiv like this.
  5. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Last 3 HC's and 5 OC's all former QB'S. You get finesse Offense.
    Kiffin
    Sark
    Helton
    Tee
    Harrell
    Please forgive me for not mentioning Coach O

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  6. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Least we forget, you need NFL caliber o linemen to accomplish that feat

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  7. BehindSunset

BehindSunset Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    The priorities are wrong. We shouldn't want a return to power running football, we should want a return to WINNING football. If that coincides with a power running game, that's great! If wins it all behind the wishbone, that's great too. The goal is to win, not to run the football.

8. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    I prefer defense minded coaches...butttt...if offense is what you really want then expect the same crap we've been seeing lately across the land where only blue blood programs are able to recruit massive, fearsome, athletic linemen and run power spread offenses culminating in a dozen National Championships. USC hasn't used that formula, SC went softy paddy cake. My borrowed idea is to have a power offense but complemented by a bruising, smothering defense to win championships, whether it be spread or power run gap football - duh.

USC once had the patent on NFL caliber linemen to operate their power run game system. This is college ball and doing what a team wants to do better than anyone else is always the way to go - a hardcore identity, as it were. At USC, the teams that were most successful were when they were always bigger and stronger than any opponent they normally faced. We don't see that anymore. Get back to that and everything will fall into place. Barry Switzer was asked if the Power I that USC ran could be successful in today's college ball, he answered in the affirmative that a USC Power I could indeed dominate today's game. They just have to get back to doing it better than anyone else.

9. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Who says we want to return to THAT??? Sorry, but Tailback U is a thing of the past. I'm for a balanced offense that can capitalize on wherever the opposing defense is weak.

DaFireMedic and August West like this.
  10. August West

August West Points Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Why do we need to be TailbackU?

National Champion is better....do that, and all the other accolades take care of themselves.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  11. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    I want a Heisman Trophy candidate at QB (who plays under center) and a LB wearing #55. That's it.

12. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Want practice harder than game, it worked for SC before

13. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Tailback U caliber football wins NC's. A team that can win against teams such as Bama and Clemson will be a team that can match their strength, stamina and speed. It will not be an Air Raid style football team.

14. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Football has evolved from 70s 3 yard and a cloud of dust football. Are you guys still using rotary phones still too?

DaFireMedic and ConquerorSC like this.
  15. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019

Clemson beat Alabama last year by throwing for 347 yards lol

16. August West

Oct 17, 2019
    Have you watched LSU, Bama, UGA this year?

17. August West

Oct 17, 2019
    Exactly.

18. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Oct 17, 2019
    The Air Raid with a strong running game to keep defenses off balance would work with all of our talent. Graham Harrel is not the right coach to truly install a solid Air Raid at an P5 school as an OC.

19. Linebacker II

Linebacker II Points Member

Oct 18, 2019
    When John McKay was in charge, we had offensive linemen who were Heisman Trophy candidates. One offensive tackle, Ron Yary, was the only Trojan to win the Outland Trophy, which is awarded to the best interior lineman. We need to go back to that.

fssca51 likes this.
  20. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2019
    So, ......a rare loss for Bama. A look at football long term will prove my point. The Saban Dynasty and the McKay Dynasties are solid proof that power football wins NCs.