If Helton were fired after this year

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Scalum76, Jun 2, 2021.

1. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jun 3, 2021
    What's lacking in West Coast talent has been true since Carroll, and that is the paucity of big, athletic defensive tackles. You can find loads of talent at every other position, but you have to go to SEC country for mammoth tackles.

2. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Jun 3, 2021
    We didn't go after the top tier coaches. Swann and Haden were the dufus squad.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 3, 2021
    This is exactly where winning would help. If we recruited the best of the West Coast. We could develop players like Toia or when you are CFP team competing for NC's yearly then recruiting a NT to your team is possible.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 4, 2021
    And get Hawkins and Claiborne back from AssU.

5. jacksonsf

jacksonsf Junior Member

Jun 4, 2021
    John McKay was a superstar OC for Oregon when the Pacific conference didn't allow Oregon to join. He was the mastermind behind the great Oregon offenses and USC targeted him. This was also back when head coaches were generally elevated into a head coach role.

Pete Carroll had a great college background learning under Lou Holtz and Monte Kiffin at Arkansas and then Cooper at Ohio State. Pete actually was an assistant in the 1985 Keith Byers led rosebowl versus Freddie Crutcher, Duane Bickett, Jack Del Rio's USC. Pete also let the #1 defense of the 49ers during their 95 super bowl and was a head coach twice in the NFL.

The game is different today. The money is bigger and the stakes are higher.

It sooooo easy to win at USC. Especially in the p12 south. If you put Fickell in the role, he would walk into the p12 title game every year and play smash mouth football with Oregon.

Just high a qualified, experienced, successful collegiate head football coach. You can go get an NFL guy, yet he has to have significant collegiate coaching experience.

USC has it all. The weather, the education, the girls, the tradition, the beach, hollywood. When Saban steps down, just watch Alabama sink back.

SC93er likes this.
  6. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Jun 4, 2021
    I'd take Tom Allen from Indiana. Not because he's shown he can recruit at a higher level, although once he got here the quality of recruit he gets would be higher than what he got in Bloomington.

I'd bring him in because of his scheme. We've never really run an uptempo offense and the Hoosiers do. Bring them all over to LA and have them run SC and we will be in the playoff picture. Helton and Harrell have squandered our talent and we've seen enough results. There's no 'sure shot' coach, like Urban or Saban available, so why not get an up and comer who has shown he can hold his own against the likes of tOSU with lesser talent but a better scheme? Only problem would be his 4 million dollar buyout since he signed a new contract. He makes about the same as Helton.

LDIABootney likes this.
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jun 4, 2021
    No, he was an assistant in the 1980 Rose Bowl game. There is a great highlight video of that game with comments from him, saying “Charles kicked our ass”.

8. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Jun 5, 2021
    I will remember your words.

9. Willlson!

Willlson! Junior Member

Jun 5, 2021
    Save this post because this is how it's going to go down IF Clay's fired: Lots of big names get talked about and reports of this coach secretly flying to L.A. or that coach checking out Palos Verdes real estate. Finally, the coach is announced and it's an NFL retread. Think Del Rio, Marvin Lewis, Anthony Lynn, etc. Bohn & Co. will say they're trying to copy Herm Edwards' success, they "need a guy with NFL experience to handle a college team with NFL talent," and, hey, no one thought Pete Carroll would be very good either. I'll be totally tuned out of Trojan football by that point...

10. Trojanfan1963

Trojanfan1963 Points Member

Jun 5, 2021
    Why would even Kyle Whittingham want to come here. He already makes about the same money as Helton, and the cost of living in Utah is much less than L.A. Additionally, he and most other coaches out there, watch the news. They can see what a sewer the city is becoming. I think it would take an enormous salary to attract any top flight current college head coach. That leaves Bob Stoops, Chris Peterson and a handful of former NFL coaches or assistants. I hope we can entice a great coach to come here, but I don’t see it happening.

11. mickhooligan

mickhooligan Active Member

Jun 5, 2021
    Herm Edwards success? What exactly does that look like?

Trojack likes this.
  12. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    The Whittingham ship sailed the minute the administration at Utah started ponying up real $$$ for him and his staff. There is no way we could compete for him now even if we wanted to. The only one who might take less money than he is worth is Stoops simply because he has been out of coaching for the past 5 years. And being away from coaching for 5 years is not necessarily a positive thing either. I'd make the first call to Petersen fully expecting him to say no.

TrojanHorseshoe and Hockey10 like this.
  13. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    I do not believe that DBDW would be the right guy to lead the show, but there is a reason why that they dubbed him "Associate HC" and it has more to do with money/salary, but if they fire HCCH during the 2021 season, you already know who is going to be getting the nod.
    What I will say is that I believe it could work as long as DW would be willing to bring in the right mix of OLD and experienced coordinators and monster recruiters to balance everything out.
    The USC name should be able to recruit itself as long as the wins pile up, and the draft picks begin to increase.

I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing, but one of the guys that I wanted to be the HC here at USC is not in a position where I believe USC would not be able to get him if they wanted to.
    He is a USC alum, he is a defensive-minded coach, hard nosed and would allow our boys to hit and get after it.
    I believe he would leave the offense to the OC and let it be as it may..

14. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Del Rio, I assume?

15. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Bump.

I don't have anything to add. I just like seeing "Helton" and "fired after this year" at the top of the message board.

In the words of Andy Dufresne, "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."

TrojanHorseshoe, Cyrus and USCSAE like this.
  16. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    I was doing this with Kingsbury a-hole thread. that was fun. I doubt if this thread can become as legendary as that one but we will try.

17. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    I will say if we go 9-3, with losses to our better opponents, (Utah, ND, ASU) this year would be a good time, with good reason, to move on from Helton.

Losing the south and the conference ties it up neatly with a bow.

18. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    And truth be known, Daryl Gross was really the catalyst in getting Carroll the interview. Left to his own devices, Garrett wouldn't have given him the time of day.

19. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Jun 6, 2021
    Del Rio? No thanks. Tired NFL retread.

Trojack and LoyalTrojan like this.
  20. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jun 7, 2021
    I was and have been around SC football since 1966. And to clarify, neither Matt Campbell, Luke Fickell or any other of the men with head coaching experience were truly proven winners during the head coach searches after Carroll, Kiffen or during the Sark replacement search. They have now had 5 to 10 years to add to their collective resumes but other than Whittington and Petersen no real winner with a creditable track record came calling with serious interest that this fan base was excited about.