I POSED THIS QUESTION COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO CAN HELTON BE STILL FIRED IF SC GETS BLOWN OUT.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Major toor, Dec 27, 2019.

1. 87trojan

87trojan Points Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Serious question how does Bohn show up at any athletic event right now? I don't think he is clueless (at least I don't think he is, could be wrong), how do you go to USC events knowing every USC supporter thinks you f'd up royally?

2. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Dec 27, 2019
    FIFY

3. TrojanMoondoggie

TrojanMoondoggie Junior Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Are the leaders at USC really this delusional though?

If they are trading football for some kind of so-called Ivy League status, it doesn't seem like USC is exactly succeeding in this area either. If anything, it's the leadership that continues to put USC in the headlines in a not so impressive way. How do you make it into the ranks of the Ivy League with that kind of nonsense going on? USC just isn't taken seriously enough to make it through that transition.

The fact is, USC is not Ivy League. It never will be. You ask 99% of the people in America, and I doubt even one of them would use USC and Ivy League in the same sentence.

And I seriously doubt anyone is looking at the football woes at USC and thinking, 'Well, USC is an academic school, continuing in their quest to move to the next level academically.'

Sorry, USC is not considered an academic juggernaut. It's not a bad school by any stretch. Despite its leadership, it's a good school. We all know that. It is a school that has a very low acceptance rate and a student body that is bringing in SATs and GPAs of high caliber.

But I'd dare say the public impression of USC is that it's a place of controversy. And if they do look at the football team, they see a piss poor product there too.

USC needs to figure what kind of school it wants to be. Because as of now, it's lost.

RobertSmithLA, Troy70 and ConquerorSC like this.
  4. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 27, 2019
    How do you know that?

5. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 27, 2019
    here's the crazy part in all of this, if SC actually had a legit football program, applications would go through the roof because some students just want to have that party lifestyle with football Saturdays. And while they may not be SC material, the number of applications SC gets is a bragging point for the school where they can say they are the most applied school in the nation.

6. TrojanMoondoggie

Dec 27, 2019
    And yet I read somewhere USC had an 11% acceptance rate this year. That's as low as it has ever been. And this is with a highly questionable football scenario right now (and in recent years).

I don't know if applications are necessarily through the roof, but certainly there are a lot of kids applying, and not getting in.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  7. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Bohn is quite possibly the most underperforming, inept, and hated AD in American collegiate history.

And to think, he only achieved that within 2 months of his tenure! What a J-O-B he’s done! Folt must be so proud!

ConquerorSC likes this.
  8. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 27, 2019
    applications have been steadily increasing though USC joining the Common Application system also played a large part. Prior to joining that, USC had its own application which complicated matters for prospective applicants for essays, info, grades, etc.

I think Clemson and Alabama saw a surge in apps when the football program appeared on the national stage. It's to the point where Alabama has some high SAT/ACT scores. To some extent University of Georgia too.

How cool would it be if USC had a top football program and a 5% admission rate.

The motto could be:

"We are harder to get into than Stanford and we crush them on the field too"

9. tjfan001

tjfan001 Junior Member

Dec 27, 2019
    I know, but that not what BoT thinks. Their brains are different, weirder than aliens.

TrojanMoondoggie and ConquerorSC like this.
  10. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Dec 27, 2019
    I feel sorry for the next coach, Helton will be leaving him a shit load of mountain west talent on the roster.

USCFourLife and ConquerorSC like this.
  11. SCFTFO

SCFTFO Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Yes. He could and should still be fired.

The better question is, can the administration actually not fire him now? That defies logic.

Esthersar likes this.
  12. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    It's obvious, from what I've read, that Folt doesn't want to give up control, at least not now; so Helton is the safer choice in her mind for that reason.

13. Troy4 me

Troy4 me Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Yeap, it’s truly unimaginable that it could have happened so fast, but it did. He walked into a storm and could have set things right, or at least tried. Complacency put him where he is now. I emailed him and Folt last night (respectively and honestly), not that they read them, but numbers matter. I said it simply - their legacy is tarnished beyond anything they could have ever imagined, but they can start the repair process right now by listening to the fan base and acting upon it. That’s all we can do right now is bombard them with emails & vm, unless you’re connected.

TrojanHorseshoe likes this.
  14. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Urban Meyer could handle it just fine.

15. CO4SC44

CO4SC44 Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Concur. Did the same last night and again this morning

TrojanHorseshoe likes this.
  16. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Folt & BOT don’t care what alums & fans think. They have their puppet. SC football is dead.

17. TrojanMoondoggie

Dec 28, 2019
    And that could happen. It is possible to have both. Stanford is very unpredictable on the field from season to season, but they have had USC’s number on more than one occasion. Plus, they have a lot more NCs across the board than USC.

Michigan is another great school that always has great potential and is a collegiate football tradition. ND much the same. Though I will admit it’s not always easy to take ND totally seriously. I would dare say it’s tough as an non-sports undergrad to get in, much like it is at USC. But as for their football players, I will always be skeptical. They brag about their grad rate, but didn’t they get questioned a few years ago in some tutoring, test-taking mini-scandal. And the reason I say mini-scandal is because it didn’t gain much attention beyond that. ND has a preponderance of Catholics and Irish fans who will shout down any naysayers before any controversy can gain traction. And ND has a media who is in love with them. It’s always hard to accept ND at face value.

While Alabama and Clemson may have improving SATs, they’re not in the same league as USC. Nowhere close.

As for Georgia and Alabama specifically, hasn’t football been god at those schools since, well, forever? Why the sudden interest?

I think the answer is more that admissions competition is alive and well... everywhere. Even the California State Uni system is overwhelmed by applications. I would dare say SATs have gone up there too. If schools like CSUs Fullerton and Long Beach are tougher to get into than they used to be, it stands to reason that Alabama certainly will too. It might not be a highly-ranked uni like SC is, but it’s a major and famous uni.

18. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    What are exactly are "their own faults"? That they decided to keep a coach who wins 2/3 of his games? Be realistic.

19. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Great post. As a graduate of SC back when it was a top-30 school and not top-20, I think SC has reached it's academic ceiling. That being so, that might be the problem as well. While we'll never be that next tier just below the Ivy's (Georgetown, Stanford, Duke), we are more of a Vanderbilt or Notre Dame or maybe UVA or Michigan among the public schools. Notre Dame and Michigan are fully committed to winning football, and they still struggle to be competitive against top-tier programs. We all know if SC chose to commit to being great at football we absolutely could be, but sadly I think those in charge are happy with being a more successful Michigan and might be okay being Vandy.