I feel like something I have loved my whole life died this week. Jokes aside this hurts.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanCampaign, Dec 4, 2019.

1. I feel like something I have loved my whole life died this week. Jokes aside this hurts.
    TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    It's fun to bicker and argue with people on this board. But at the end of the day we all are here (except the trolls) because we love this program. Most of us either went to school and USC, had family who went to USC, or just became fans of the program. And the football team has brought thousands of people together longer than many of us have been alive.

If you do not expect for there to be down periods in every program you are unreasonable. There of course are those bandwagon fans who only watch programs because they are winning. Those guys come and go. Then there are those of us who literally invest money in this program, keep up with every detail, watch it on TV, go to games, and it truly is a huge aspect of our lives. We don't like to see our program not be the best there is but sometimes it wont and that is okay. But what has transpired the last few years is different than anything this program has ever faced. Sometimes you face enemies who are superior to you or more motivated. When you lose you just shake it off and get back up again. But we no longer have an enemy and that's why this Helton situation hurts so much. There is no Alabama in this conference that is loaded with 5/4* recruits. There is no Nick Saban in this conference that has won multiple national champions. There is no Texas in this conference that has an unlimited budget and political dominance. We lost to culture.

We all know that kids in our state are becoming less interested knocking a guy another guy on his a%# and more interested in being woke. We know the school wants to be less like the USC we grew up with and more like Berkeley. I knew that things were changing but I did not expect to see the culture/history of USC football to begin to die this quickly.

Those memories that we have of guys like Sam Bam, Reggie Bush, Lott, Leinart, Troy-P, McKay are not a reflection of what USC is becoming. Clay Helton is literally the manifestation of what a modern day coach in California. Gone are the days where we could have a coach that would not give a crap to say something like "F UCLA let's give those losers hell!".

USC football is not everything but it's something I have truly loved for over 20 years. Heck, I even named one of my sons Sam because Sam Cunningham was my hero as a kid. But I think I'm ready to accept that USC like the state California is changing into something new. Some people will likely hang on to the hope that the old USC will return. And some will be perfectly content to change with USC. I just don't think I can bring myself to watch USC football die. I love this program so much I literally named ones of my sons Sam after my childhood hero.

Sorry for this rant, but I'm legitimately sad.

2. kasrkin

kasrkin Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Look at Nebraska, Texas, even UCLA. They made swing the fences hires. If I were part of those fanbase, I would be disappointed in the results but I couldn't fault the admin for making the big hire that is an honest attempt to return a program to prominence. FSU admin was willing to can an under performing coach after less than two years.

Can I say USC's admin cares about its program as much as these schools? If not, why should I?

3. TrojanCampaign

Dec 4, 2019
    Yeah, in life sometimes you do what looks to be a great decision and it does not go the way you expected. Failure happens and sometimes failure even makes you stronger.

ConquerorSC and kasrkin like this.
  4. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Beautifully written - your insight into the culture of the school changing keeping up with the culture of this state resonated in me. I hadn't even thought of that.

5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Those programs at least tried. Ours whimped out

OC2SC, ConquerorSC and kasrkin like this.
  6. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019

Man up. You'll be alright. I promise. We should have a good team next year! Fight On!

7. TrojanCampaign

Dec 4, 2019
    Thanks, and when I say culture I don't mean political bickering. It's just a simple truth to say that our kids spend way more time in front of computers and on phones than we did. Times have changed.

8. beachbum

beachbum Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    That is the sad truth. I am a public high school teacher and my students can't go 30 seconds without their phones. I went through SC with an old electric typewriter. It is a different time that is for sure.

9. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I am currently recovering from a back injury, if Helton is retained my Saturdays will be free to get my golf swing back, if Urban is hired I will watch. Win Win.

10. Trojanproud1

Trojanproud1 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I am where you are. My heart aches. Bohn is a Benedict Arnold.

11. imissmattandreggie

imissmattandreggie Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    100 percent with you dog. Fuck these for my office pieces of shit. So selfish, so smug, so self serving.

Once you show the fans you don't care one bit about them, it's time we fight back.
    Boycott everything. Immediately.

TrojanCampaign likes this.