How Not to Build a Football Program . . .

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by HelixTrojan, Aug 10, 2018.

1. How Not to Build a Football Program . . .
    HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Troy70 and Pudly76 like this.

2. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Even more horrible is that they are forced to wear those ghastly uniforms. A fate worse than death.

One can also say "A football program can end with its values and culture"

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Aug 11, 2018
    And Durkin was one of the names that was suggested as a replacement for Helton by some on this board.

This is just one example of why "win at all costs" is not a good plan

4. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Interesting. I'm 15 minutes away from College Park and have heard little on this matter on the news.

And STILL came in near the bottom of the B1G.

This will be an opportunity to open up the war chest and hire an up and coming coach who can steer the team in the right direction. But in the short term, MD is going to be distracted for that big game against Texas at Byrd Stadium.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  5. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Aug 11, 2018
    You build a football team by hiring O line cochs like Hudson Houck and Joe Gibbs!

6. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Aug 11, 2018
    It sounds like Maryland’s program is going to face some serious litigation. Waiting over an hour to call 911? That is just ridiculous. I cannot believe the parent is not in the coach and administration’s faces! You entrusted your kid to these coaches and program. This is worst then sanctions and both coaches should never ever coach again!
    Fight On!

7. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Aug 14, 2018
    http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24374654/maryland-terrapins-accept-responsibility-mistakes-made-death-jordan-mcnair
    I am going to find it hard to believe if Court just walks away with just a resignation. He will get personally sued, but if the investigation turns out to be more then neglect and he agitated the situation with his alter ego they have to look at possible criminal charges.
    This incident continues to show that players are still kids and are still vulnerable to getting into bad situations where they have no control. The president of the University said it best to the parents. You entrusted your son to our university and we failed! I am glad the President of the University stepped up and accepted responsibility!
    Fight On!

8. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Poor Damon Evans. He was absolutely THE rising star among up and coming Assistant AD’s at UGA when he lost his damn mind and had a lost weekend cocaine fueled binge with a hooker that ended up with him in jail, lost his job, his family and career. Spends the next decade rebuilding his life and career and now this falls right in his lap

Edit: I guess his wife stayed with him after all

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  9. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Both he and the president actually took the right steps of both admitting liability and making a trip to the parent’s house to express their condolences. They said the loss was tragic, and together they want to ensure this never ever happens again. This could actually work out to his advantage if he handles this situation in the right way. But the flip side is how did he not know about existing culture with the football program. Most AD’s are always visible and either they hid it well or he chose to ignore it. I am sure this will all come out eventually!
    Fight On!