How has everyone else been processing the state of this program?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ForwardUntoDawn, Mar 3, 2020.

1. How has everyone else been processing the state of this program?
    ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I'm struggling to find interest in USC football these days. It's like one day we were one of the greatest programs of the past and present. And then suddenly the administration just said "Be happy just having a team, you ungrateful toxic men".

I'm a Trojan in San Marcos and lately I have been fighting the urge to start following Texas. And this is really starting to eat at me as a person because USC was what brought me home to California at least once a year.

Sorry for this rant, but this really sucks.

2. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    So you are a die hard Trojan, looking to switch teams, and TEXAS is the that team?
    Good Gawd Man, have you been up drinking all night?

3. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    What I am learning is that the life gets sucked out of oneself only with your permission. That is based on a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt that said, and I paraphrase, that noone can make you feel inferior without your permission. For several months I have walked this earth with a gloom and doom mentality because of this SC situation, as well as other things going on in my life. I have realized that attitude totally sucks for me. So, I have started focusing on the positive things, even if it is miniscule. I am actually smiling more again. I have missed that.
    If you have truly been a fan of 55 years, than that would mean that you have lived through some rough times for SC football. College football is cyclical. I have liked Bohn's actions since his mistake - so there is hope. I personally believe that he was not allowed to hire Meyer and he didnt want to just hire anybody to get rid of Helton. That would NOT have solved anything.There has been some positive stuff - the stealing of Williams from the quacks, Snyder, possibly Orlando.

GLA4USC and DaFireMedic like this.
  4. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I get disappointed during the season, but, watching the games is the one thing that all my boys and I do together. So, we bond over the good and bad times. As long as that remains the case I can live with anything. So, I guess I'm an enabler.

To the OP, if you're living in San Marco's and looking to jump off the band wagon due to a few lean years why aren't you investing 100% in the Bobcats? Texas State, baby!

5. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Mar 3, 2020
    some transplants actually start rooting for the new state team in order to “fit in” with their neighbors and new friends. It’s funny when they start bashing the previous team as if they weren’t associated with it at all.

I think one of the posters is on Bama’s nuts here ever since he moved to Alabama.

6. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I’ve lived in Athens for 20 years, wifey and one daughter are both UGA grads, and I’ve never even been to a game. Hell, I turned down a Bulldog Puppy

AZUSCfan and zitorocks like this.
  7. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    No crap. I've lived in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Texas, Colorado, and California. Everywhere I went I wore my Trojan insignia with pride. Would never change to the local team to just fit in. However, I have usually picked a side in their local rivalries....like Georgia Tech instead of Georgia or South Carolina instead of Clemson...Louisville instead of Kentucky. That way when they are having their rivalry games I can at least have something to cheer for.

usc88, CCTrojans and DaFireMedic like this.
  8. norcalsurfer

Mar 3, 2020
    I've lived in Austin and Indianapolis. Made good friends but I've had to turn down requests to go to Longhorns and Hoosier games. Being a EMT back then I couldn't afford the new sports gear anyways.

9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I understand what you are saying and I mostly agree. That statement is from a post I made after the Iowa debacle. But there is a difference between life being sucked out of you, and the Joy from one facet of your life being sucked out of you

DaFireMedic likes this.
  10. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    What is bothering me is Sept 5. Will the players be properly coached and trained to be ready to fight on for four quarters? Or, will we see Iowa, Oregon, Ohio State and Alabama redux when USC folds after being punched in the mouth?

Merlin4SC likes this.
  11. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I’m hearing really good things about the new staff as far as instilling toughness
    Whether it takes is another story

Butcher22 likes this.
  12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    You sound like a rooter of underdogs? Am I reading you wrong?

I am also, wondering if there's a military angle to it... Sorry to psychoanalyze.

13. PVtrojan

PVtrojan Points Member

Mar 3, 2020

14. PVtrojan

PVtrojan Points Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Chill st Marcos. As long as we aren't blown out by Tide more than 21--b off to good run in cupcake land. Pvt

15. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I think it's more a function of my hating annoying fans. Clemson fans in South Carolina are so arrogant and annoying...as are UGA fans in Georgia and UK fans in Kentucky. I'd go with the team who's fans at least seemed somewhat respectful of others. Just my assessment...I'm sure there are many who would disagree. I just have experiences with them that led me to feel one way or another.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  16. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Understood - for me, joy=life

17. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Not a transplant, still living here in kooky Cali, and I don't try to fit in with the neighbors, but I do talk to some fellow Trojan alums who live up the street and around the corner...and we do a fair amount of bashing. What is interesting is that years ago during football season, you would see a variety of Pac 10/12 flags. With the change in college pricing, admission standards, etc, the neighborhood now is mostly SEC with a rare Texas or Clemson flag. Go Dawgs!
    This ^^^. I'm not processing or anything, it is what it is. But when you can no longer recognize the school you grew up on, graduated from, created memories around, and you also struggle to recognize a once-magnificent football program, there is definitely reason to feel lackluster.

18. norcalsurfer

Mar 3, 2020

It’s a small sample size but I’ve seen UCLA, cal and asu flags every time I stop by my parents house in NorCal

and a lot more Oregon flags too.

19. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    It's funny I lived in Dallas for awhile and was okay with Texas winning games - because it made my friends happy. Not sure that is fitting in but if UT won the town was more pleasant to be around for sure. So I was good with that until of course their win impacted USC in a bad way. Gladly was no longer living in TX when the refs failed to call Young down in the Rose Bowl.

Now I live in the high desert of central Oregon and I don't give even want the ducks to win regardless of happy friends. I'm okay with OSU winning - not as obnoxious by a long shot.

20. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Bend?
    Ever pass through Sisters?