How come you posters are so horrible at recognizing talent?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by flyfishintrojan, Dec 28, 2019.

1. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    There's no West Coast talent in basketball? That's a first.

4 of the top 10 NBA players are from CA. 6 out of the Top 25 players are from CA (Jrue Holiday and Russell Westbrook). This ranking doesn't take into Klay Thompson (Los Angeles, CA) due to his injury but he's easily a Top 15 player at worst. It's not a coincidence when he went down, the Warriors went down too.

Kawhi Leonard (Riverside, CA)
    James Harden (Los Angeles, CA)
    Paul George (Los Angeles, CA)
    Damian Lillard (Oakland, CA)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/sports/nba-top-100-players-2019/

2020 recruiting class features 4 CA players in the top 10

Evan Mobley #1
    Jalen Green #3
    Ziaire Williams #5
    Makur Maker #10

It would be 6 out in the top 20 if you include Josh Christopher (#11) and B.J. Boston (#12)

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100

2019 did not feature any CA players in the top 10 but did have 2 in the Top 20 (Onyeka Okungwu and Isaiah Mobley)

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2019/order/true

If anything SoCal is seeing a resurgence in high school basketball

Peete2Affholter and drheisenberg like this.
  2. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Why no titles?

3. norcalsurfer

Dec 31, 2019
    from where, college or NBA? Cause the latter ain't worth debating with the Clippers and Warriors proving my case.

Kihei Clark (Woodland Hills, CA) won the Final Four in April

DeAndre Daniels (Woodland Hills, CA) won the Final Four with UConn in 2014.

4. flyfishintrojan

Dec 31, 2019
    NCAA, why even discuss the NBA? But clearly, kids are not staying in California to play basketball( which I don’t follow much, so that explains my ignorance of who is from where.) And that is a really bad omen for football, in that the best go elsewhere.

5. norcalsurfer

Dec 31, 2019
    I mean where would you rather take your talents for TV viewership and NBA scouts - at Galen Center where it's 30% capacity or at the Allen Fieldhouse where it's 90% capacity even in down years? Outside of Dana Altman (who has a lot of CA players), PAC12 coaches are garbage.

CA atmosphere sucks but the talent doesn't which was the point to begin with. Kansas even probably risked NCAA sanctions to get 5-star CA kid Billy Preston.

6. drheisenberg

drheisenberg Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    There is no point continuing this conversation with this dum dum. I showed that NFL is flush with Californian. You showed the NBA is flush with Californians. At this point he’s only going to move goalposts, yet again.

KnightsWhoSayNi and norcalsurfer like this.
  7. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Kenjon Barner
    Chris Polk
    Tre Madden
    Allen Bradford
    Royce Freeman
    Mike Ball (NV)
    Devontae Booker
    Cierre Wood
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Jamaal Williams
    C.J. Anderson

All CA high school running backs from the last 10 years that recorded one of the top 100 40-yard times at the NFL combine. That obviously ignores 1) players not yet draft eligible (Najee Harris comes to mind), 2) players not invited to the combine but were faster, and 3) jesus fucking christ this is a moronic line of argument that requires no further comment.

source: pro-football-reference.com

KnightsWhoSayNi and drheisenberg like this.
  8. flyfishintrojan

Dec 31, 2019
    Man, those are household names.

9. drheisenberg

Dec 31, 2019
    Keep moving those goal posts, homey. You look incredibly stupid at this point
    Better hit the bunny slopes...

KnightsWhoSayNi likes this.
  10. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    California produces loads of talent. That is evidenced by the schools from everywhere else coming down to convince our best athletes to go to Norman, OK, or Columbus, OH, or Clemson, SC, or Tuscaloosa, AL. They ain't sticking around because schools out west generally dont give a shit about sports, at least in comparison to schools in other parts of the country.

drheisenberg likes this.
  11. norcalsurfer

Dec 31, 2019
    it's also impressive that CA also produces a lot of athletes in track, waterpolo, soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc. Whereas the South and Midwest really focuses on basketball/football.

sctrojan2006 and drheisenberg like this.
  12. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    The OP is so dumb he tried to copy off of Tee Martin when they took the Wonderlic test.

drheisenberg likes this.
  13. flyfishintrojan

Dec 31, 2019
    Ok. You guys are right. I concede. Next Monday night I am going to be watching Urban Meyer’s USC Trojans, led by Steven Carr, battle for the CFB title! Oops, I meant Kyle Willingham’s Utah Utes. No darn, I meant Chris Petersens Washington Huskies! Yikes, sorry, Phil Knight’s Oregon Quacks!

Huh, got that one wrong too. I am a little sheepish. Well maybe next year, when SC tramples Alabama in our season opener! Yessiree Bob!

14. flyfishintrojan

Dec 31, 2019
    Geez, another Pac12 team, using mostly California players gets prison raped by a middlin team.

This is kinda fun. Wait till the NFL draft and watch as Pac 12 players don’t get drafted.

Drip, drip, drip as California and Pac12 football life ebbs away.

No California player slated to go in the first round in the 2020 mock draft but 2 Iowa players are. Some talent advantage SC had Iowa.

Whose laughing now?

15. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

Jan 1, 2020
    I'm black and I live in the south. Fly I'm really not sure what it didn't do you have Californian high school kids but it's nonsense.

I do agree with you on some points. Per capita, places like Georgia do produce bigger stronger humans than California does. It's because of culture. I'm not being racist but black people for whatever reason usually have good genetics when it comes to physicality. And black people in the south are much more conservative than California. So they tend to marry among themselves, they eat big-boy food like soul-food, and men do men things. And in California it's becoming the exact opposite amongst young black men who are becoming increasingly more liberal. Black kids in California aren't all out in the streets playing basketball, football, going to church, and eating heavy carb soul-food. They are staying indoors, playing fortnite, League of Legends, eating Kale, on social media all day, and interracial dating is becoming common.

But none of that really matters because as of right now they're still are more than enough athletes for USC. We only need about 80 guys from a state that has 60 million people. Its false to say that there's no talent in California.

16. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Fly, watching Oregon v Wisconsin, this is big boy football, smash mouth, downhill etc.

And as we all can see, nearly all of Oregon’s top recruits the past two years (since Cristobal took the reigns) are from CA and at least half of their entire roster is from CA st the moment.

How should we synthesize this data, o sage?

17. drheisenberg

Jan 1, 2020
    What is there to synthesize. I killed this thread with my NFL data. All those small, weak NFL players from California...

KnightsWhoSayNi and yah20002 like this.
  18. flyfishintrojan

Jan 1, 2020
    California’s best has a 1 point lead over Wisconsins best.

19. flyfishintrojan

Jan 1, 2020
    California has 39 million, not 60.

20. drheisenberg

Jan 1, 2020
    It doesn’t matter dumb dumb. Your argument wasn’t per capita talent. It was talent period.