How canceled 2020 Season benefits USC football

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Tamatoa916, Mar 29, 2020.

1. How canceled 2020 Season benefits USC football
    Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Mar 29, 2020
    1. Team strength should improve. Load up on the shakes and get these guys bulked up. Run smaller unsupervised training sessions, lots of them starting ASAP. The AD and coaches should absolutely have these guys pumping the iron right now, everyday till further notice. Our ceiling to improve is much higher than other blu bloods, mostly because our S&C has sucked badly.
    2. The coaches get a year to sharpen their tool sets and get dialed in. Would a year off not playing any games help Helton get back on track? It should....at least allow him to watch lots more tape with his staff. These guys basically get a year off the field and that extra time should help them better understand, contribute, and execute the Helton plan. I don’t know what that plan is but it definitely needs improvement!!
    3. The AD and Pres get more time at the drawing board as well. They can further manage the Helton plan. Those two get to also decide on whether to pull the plug on that Helton plan. There would be no excuses for Folt and Bohn with regards to the Football HC in 2021. Would Urban M be ok to join us 2021 with this beefed up depth chart?
    4. I still am partial to JT Daniels. I think he is better than our frosh phenom. With a year off, I think he will master this simple offense and be the starter in 2021.
    5. Solomon....man, one more year to rehab and let that foot heal absolutely helps bring us a MLB that is going to knock people into next week.
    6. Oregon loses momentum. I think some of the Oregon mojo loses its steam. Why? Because we don’t give them the chance to blow us out in 2020!
    7. Lastly, we don’t have to play Alabama this year! Haha. We avoid the national beat down.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    gubo&palanka, DaFireMedic and Troy70 like this.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 29, 2020
    All those new freshmen OL get a year to get bigger & stronger.

KiwiSCfan and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Mar 29, 2020

What will happen with recruiting if the seniors are granted another year of eligibility? Will they be forced to graduate to make room for incoming freshman’s or will NCAA increase the maximum scholarships?

gubo&palanka and Tamatoa916 like this.
  4. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Mar 29, 2020
    That’s my guess as well...increase the number of schollies

OC2SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  5. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Mar 30, 2020
    How sad that we celebrate dodging ‘Bama to avoid a national embarrassment beat down.

The state of the program under claydohgsh*t. Pathetic.

BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT!

6. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Mar 30, 2020
    It would definitely help USC with almost half of the team recovering from surgery /injuries.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. KiwiSCfan

KiwiSCfan Points Member

Mar 30, 2020
    This x plenty

8. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Strength and Conditioning will make better athletes but this does not necessarily make for a better football player. They need reps and that comes with live practice and game experience. A cancelled season will not be a great benefit by any measure.

J4SC75 likes this.
  9. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Agree. They need the reps to stay mentally sharp.

10. 559er

559er Junior Member

Mar 30, 2020
    If you're going to cancel the season, then cancel the upcoming school year too... what's the difference?

11. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Mar 30, 2020
    That would be scary. Courses can move online, not easily but they find a way...The nation has to keep moving along and not further destroy the economy.
    I was actually wondering what would happen if they took your advice and furloughed the entire faculty, starting with the athletic dept which will make zero $ in the fall if cancel goes through. Is USC still liable for payout to the staff? Somehow, I don’t think so...but maybe some others can answer of a severance pay would be mandatory for lay-off.

12. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Even though athletics are the cash cow for the NCAA, I do not believe they are not in control here.
    The federal government is going to be the one pulling the strings.
    The way I am looking at it, if we can get past this scare by the beginning of summer, the 2020 season is going to begin as normal.
    The only question I would start asking is are there going to be any fans at these sporting events whenever we get back to normal?

I do believe that we may have a decline followed by another spike in cases because of how quickly we are going to willing to ocongregate and fellowship, especially when it comes to sporting events.

13. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 30, 2020
    I’m all for seeing the positives in the situation as best we can and there may be some benefits to USC football, but overall I don’t see it as a good thing. Necessary maybe, but not good.

I’m really hoping the season doesn’t need to be canceled. We may well get the beatdown by Alabama, but I’m hoping to be cheering for the upset regardless of how unlikely.

An additional year will not affect Helton’s status and they are not going to change their mind about retaining him. He’ll be getting at least one more season as HC.

There are some players that could use an additional year to heal, and that’s good, but my guess is that the players are chomping at the bit to get on the field ASAP.

If the season is canceled, I’ll understand, but still be disappointed.

AZUSCfan and Cyrus like this.
  14. trojan07

trojan07 Junior Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Anything you can say about USC getting better due to the time off can be said about any program... a season off would give every program a chance to beef up their players, recover from injuries/surgeries, fine tune their playbook, etc... programs which are already far ahead of USC in terms of development would just move the line further ahead... the only good that can come from this whole deal would be a shortened season that would skip the demoralizing but inevitable BAMA beatdown... figure that we reschedule for 2-3 seasons down the road when hopefully they're weaker (due to not be the consensus #1 team in the country anymore and their recruits getting poached by rising programs) and we're stronger (hopefully due to CH being gone)...

gubo&palanka and SC ForLife like this.
  15. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Yes, but they don’t have the talent that we have. It still feels like we are fielding the JV team up front. They get stronger too, but our guys have more talent and have a higher ceiling.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  16. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Playing Alabama benefits USC even if it is a one sided game. Playing New Mexico and a mostly weak Pac South schedule are not true indicators where USC has progressed or regressed. You get better by playing top tier teams and playing up to the competition.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  17. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Please, not the we have more talent rant! We don’t- just look at the NFL draft projections.

18. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Every coach in the PAC 12 will tell you we got way more than them...except maybe and it’s a big maybe Oregon. Have you been hanging out with flyfishing?

19. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Nope, but I want some of what you are smoking. Stanford, Washington, Utah, and Oregon now have more talent than we do. When I say team talent, I mean who plays from first through third string, not a couple great starters. Take away Hufanga, who plays? Take away a lineman or two on either side, who steps in? The above mentioned teams have someone solid to step in.

20. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Hufanga, how many teams in the pac have a guy playing safety like him? No one does. If there is safety in the pac as good as him, who is their 2nd string guy backing him up? The talent on this team is still there this year. The roster is still top to bottom better than those other teams.
    Are you saying someone has better 1st and 3nd string guys than us? Who? Who has a better group of dbs? Lbers? How about WRs and Qbs?
    what team in the pac has a 1 and 2 quarter back like ours? Our wideouts are still the absolute best.

Put the crack pipe down.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020