Hot seat- Helton & Herman

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Hot seat- Helton & Herman
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Both have underperformed & have fan base grumbling. Is this season a make or break for them? Recall some on forum had hoped SC would offer Tom. I was one of them. When my son & I went to Austin for rematch Uber driver said many locals wanted Herman gone. Longhorns had a special promo that nite of making record wins & Clay made their nite by failing to make second half adjustments. Is Folt the get out of jail card for Clay? Or is the CV his pass?

2. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    I’m on the Urban Meyer bandwagon. I fear this new staff is going to make Helton look good and he will be retained. Unless Helton shits the bed, I think he will be safe unfortunately....

3. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    So...by the staff making Helton look good, I can only assume USC is winning. Isn't that the ultimate criteria for judging a HC? That being true, on what basis do you then fire Clay Helton? For past failure, yet present success? Odd logic.

VM805 and Troken like this.
  4. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Helton sucks

5. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    The more that time goes on, the less I think UM is going to coach again.

6. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Rev. Graham Harrell is a star in the making. I see him as the next Kliff Kingsbury or the offensive version of Dave Aranda both are now head coaches. Todd Orlando will also shine in this weak Pac 12 conference. So he could come off looking real good after this season. The odds that these two don't get poached after this season seem slim. What if Herman lays an egg and GH is offered the Texas head coaching job? What Happens if Todd Orlando is offered the Illinois Head coaching job?

If you've read my post. I've been very skeptical and negative because I'm fed up with the Clay Helton nurturing by this organization. Especially watching Oregon hire two coaches during this time and take control of the local recruiting (especially Mater Dei HS) and the Pac 12 division. This is Helton's 5th year and whether you admit it or not he's starting over yet again new DC new staff.

I don't think its unreasonable for people to be concerned about Graham Harrell and Todd Orlando leaving after this season and Clay Helton rebuilding yet again next season in year 6. Helton is not Nick Saban where he is the best coach on the staff and elite coaches take pay cuts to work with him. In fact I think Clay Helton is the weak coaching link and xo's mind on this current staff now.

The Graham Harrell and Slovis emergence was huge. GH was Clay Helton's winning lotto ticket and when he leaves he's taking the magic with him.

We all want USC to succeed but we all know how this will turn out. Everyone but you it seems.

7. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    [​IMG]
    If Tom Herman doesn't start winning the conference he will be kissing his job goodbye

8. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    I think Herman's seat is hotter than Helton's right now.
    That little stunt that Herman pulled a few weeks back caused him to lose all leverage (and control) of his program.
    That is one thing Helton is good for is never bringing negative press to USC because he is the safe option.

The fact that we are rolling on the recruiting trail has bought Helton at least until 2021 if you ask me.
    I can paint a realistic scenario where Helton will have job security until the end of the 2023 season.
    I am never going to say (anymore) that I want someone to be fired, so I will leave it right there.
    I honestly do not care who our coach is, as long as we win, stay out of trouble, and being to win/own the PAC-12 again.

Troken likes this.
  9. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Please do the Trojan faithful on this board a favor and stop posting. Take Sam Darnold away and clay is a complete failure.

TrojanEddie and uscjrl98 like this.
  10. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Never bringing negative press to USC. 5-7 was pretty negative to USC Lack of NFL development pretty negative to USC. Worst recruiting class ever pretty negative to USC. Planes flying over the coliseum wanting him fired pretty negative for SC. No Bowl money revenue to help support non-revenue producing sports. Our other sports depend on our flagship sport for revenue. Helton has not only failed his players he has failed the entire athletic department.

Forbes April 2020
    "But if football craters it will take down a lot of worthy students who happen to play sports. The volleyball team, the golf team, the gymnastics squad and others depend on football."

Helton has crippled this university far more then you could ever imagine.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  11. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    What stunt was that? I saw Mike Gundy and his OAN shirt, but missed what Herman did.

12. djgcue

djgcue Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    For me, its Urban Meyer or bust.

Islander 4 USC likes this.
  13. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Ha, so the 'cancel culture' has finally reached the football board. Why don't you send me the proper content allowed and I'll try and comply. No, when it reaches the point where posters want USC to lose games so Helton can be fired, I'll always call that out. That twisted logic and silly fan-babble was the point of my post, not a defense of Clay Helton. If you don't want to read it, tough shit, it's my opinion.

VM805 and Troken like this.
  14. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Are you related to conquest4ever81?

You both have the “helton lover” gene in common.

15. austin trojan

austin trojan Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    helton wih his staff = 0% NC
    helton with AD's staff = 20% NC
    urban meyer with any AD = 100% NC

16. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Why do you insist on the reductionist categorizing of Helton-lover/Helton-hater? I'm simply a Trojan fan, want to see them win, and Clay Helton is the HC. As long as he occupies that role his success is USC's success, and vice versa. It doesn't really matter what I think of Clay Helton any more than what I thought of Pete Carroll. I know this will crush your sense of self-importance, but it also doesn't matter what you think of him, either. Hate all you want--I want him to win.

Troken likes this.
  17. K9Buck

K9Buck Points Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I think he will. I believe Urban would like to get his son into coaching too. USC would be a great fit because he wouldn't have to go head-to-head against Ryan Day too often for premiere recruits as he would if he took a job at, let's say, Notre Dame.

18. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Unfortunately, there is no 100% guaranteed HC. Meyer is probably as close to a sure thing to get us back into contention that there is, but even he’s not a guarantee for an NC.

Troken likes this.
  19. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Urban gets a 95%