Honesty Check Time For Helton Haters

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by conquest4ever81, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Honesty Check Time For Helton Haters
    conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    First of all as much as it hurts we all need to get one thing straight so repeat after me. URBAN MEYER WAS NEVER REALISTICALLY IN PLAY. Until that is clearly understood you will never be able to move forward from that unicorn fantasy that never existed. I even said I was open to his acquisition if it was possible. Glad we got that settled. Now comes the honesty check. Let's assume after that negative Holiday Bowl outcome Helton is fired. There are actually idiots out there who claim Helton is worse than Paul Hackett. My advice to you is research that era and do your own homework. I won't do it for you. Moving forward if Clay is canned then it will be a roll of the dice. Hair on fire Helton detractors simply blurt out than anyone would be better. But wait. Isn't the knock against CCH that we don't seem to be on the path to playoffs and national titles? Okay. Let's say Helton is fired and replaced. Will a 7-5 or 8-4 record with possible losses to rivals be acceptable to you? Let's assume you answer in the affirmative. What if after another season or two USC doesn't even make the Rose Bowl? How patient will you be? Will the tarmacers be up and ready with their usual nonsense? Will the vicious cycle resume? Keep in mind we will be stuck with Helton's replacement for at least 3 years? God forbid if we finish under .500 that first season, this board will probably explode like an erupting volcano. Quite a bit to ponder isn't it?

Just4sc and Redskins Rick like this.

2. 1988Trojan

1988Trojan Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    No replacement would be better than this stupid looking lazy incompetent fraud ... btw, any real football coach from any level would be better than this idiot, simply by practicing more than once in awhile and hiring other real coaches rather than these check cashing morons

3. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Joyce Meyer would be preferable to Helton.
    [​IMG]

4. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    You don't know whether Meyer was an option or not. If Folt and the Trustees decide to pay him enough, most people have a price.

SCTradition1, Troy4 me and DARNELLJAX like this.
  5. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Link?

6. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    upload_2019-12-28_15-8-52.jpeg

7. t1104payne

t1104payne Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Damn near any coach would be better than Helton and co. We don’t necessarily need to get someone like Urban but it would obviously help. We also don’t expect to be in the NCG within the first year of a new coach especially considering he doesn’t have his type of recruits in yet. What we do know though is that with an established coach we will have solid-top tier assistants that are coaching up and developing the players the way they should be. They will be playing fundamentally sound football and by default should net us quite a few more wins a year due to that solely being the downfall of this football team year in and year out. We will also recruit much better. These kids aren’t buying into the bullshit anymore and everyone across the country sees that players aren’t being developed properly which is apparent from our draft crop and draft position annually. An established breath of fresh air and culture change is exactly what this team needs right now...Urban or not.

8. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Hacket won a Super Bowl, and actually was a play caller in the NFL. What exactly in Helton’s resume even gets close to what Hackett did? Overall, we are talking about two losing coaches as USC HC. I am one to say Hackett is without a doubt a better coach having performed at the highest level. I highly doubt Claydo’s X’s and O’s are NFL caliber.

SCTradition1 and VM805 like this.
  9. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    So conquest4ever81, is your mom the prostitute or the Great Dane?

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  10. TrojanTracker1

TrojanTracker1 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Clay Helton's resume against quality non-conference opponents since taking over in 2015:

1-5 vs. FBS Independents
    1-3 vs. Big 10
    1-1 vs. Big 12
    0-1 vs. SEC

That's 3-10. The 3 wins? A home win against a Notre Dame team that finished the season 4-8. A 3 point overtime win at home against a Texas team that finished the season 7-6. And the 3 point Rose Bowl win on a last second field goal against Penn State. Notice none of the 3 wins was outside of Los Angeles County.

Helton has been able to pad his record against weak PAC 12 opposition. And everyone knows the PAC 12 is the weakest (by far) of the Power 5 conferences. But now that he's the weakest recruiter in the PAC 12, he won't even be able to do that for much longer.

11. t1104payne

t1104payne Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    I will say a HC can only do so much and that success in football greatly depends on the quality of your assistants/position coaches but that’s exactly why Helton will never be the answer. Our d line coach was a former player with 0 coaching experience for gods sake, lol. No competent coach is willing to be a part of this staff and that is why we have the results that we do. Coach O might not be the best HC in the world and failed at his last stint but what he does have is the best of the best assistant coaches and that is why LSU is where they are right now.

12. TrojanTracker1

TrojanTracker1 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Clay Helton's resume against quality non-conference opponents since taking over in 2015:

1-5 vs. FBS Independents
    1-3 vs. Big 10
    1-1 vs. Big 12
    0-1 vs. SEC

That's 3-10. The 3 wins? A home win against a Notre Dame team that finished the season 4-8. A 3 point overtime win at home against a Texas team that finished the season 7-6. And the 3 point Rose Bowl win on a last second field goal against Penn State. Notice none of the 3 wins was outside of Los Angeles County.

Helton has been able to pad his record against weak PAC 12 opposition. And everyone knows the PAC 12 is the weakest (by far) of the Power 5 conferences. But now that he's the weakest recruiter in the PAC 12, he won't even be able to do that for much longer.

13. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    I have read Conquests posts and tried not to comment. Watching someone make a total fool of himself is not much fun. I remember Hackett real well. My son was an athlete at USC and was asked to play football by him. He bagged it. The difference if you look past our recruiting history is that Hackett had several future NFL players on his team. During the Hackett years he recruited great. Over the last 20 years we seldom were out recruited by any other team in the Pac 12. Never in all my years of following USC I have never seen us be last in our league in recruiting. We are also one of the highest penalized teams in all of college football. Helton recruits good skilled players but has not done well with recruiting on the line. If you look at our great teams we always had good lines. We could do what we wanted even when the opposite team new what we were going to do. This team has no discipline and is inconsistent at best at tackling. Hackett has consistently shown he is incapable of adjusting in the second half. This is coaching. I think you are the one who needs to do some research. Helton won his earlier games based on the recruiting of Sark and Kiff. Now apparently, you seem to be the only person who does not recognize this.

14. vikings4123

vikings4123 Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Ok. Provide facts to support your second sentence. Facts. YOU made the claim. Defend it. All else you state is irrelevant.

15. kasrkin

kasrkin Member

Dec 28, 2019
    "Clay Helton is shit but there exists a tiny possibility his replacement might somehow even be worse so let's not even bother. 5-7 and 8-5 is ideal football for USC. Also, the day after Clay Helton, the love of my life, got smacked around 49-24 to 16th Iowa, I have the nerve to go around calling others idiots who would like to see this program actually have a coach worthy of its athletes and history." -Conquest4ever81

16. 1988Trojan

1988Trojan Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Sam Darnold you mean ... Kiffy and Sucky recruited nothing but skilled kids too and turned SC into soft U

TroyBill likes this.
  17. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    I recall that Tequila was more popular at USC in the day.

18. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Honesty and Helton in the same sentence, I stopped reading after that

19. 87trojan

87trojan Points Member

Dec 28, 2019
    I just don't understand the logic of saying we should keep Helton because the replacement might be worse. That is the very essence of lunacy. Why do you defend this guy at every turn? What will it take for you to finally realize the CCH is one of the very worst coaches at a major power 5 program in America. He has racked up 40 wins against a weak Pac 12 South winning his 1st two years with players recruited by Sark & KIffin. He has failed to develop elite players, so the elite players are staying away in droves. You have to be a complete fool not to realize that recruiting is in a death spiral under this guy.

Tell me, who is your esteemed coach going to hire to manage the defense? Let's see if he brings in someone of any substance. JDR some say.Let's see if that actually happens. It is amazing that you continue to post nonsense about this guy at every turn.

Good grief.