Hey, who is coaching these guys tonight?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by old scotty, Sep 7, 2019.

1. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 7, 2019

I don’t think that’s the case at all.
    Helton is a nice guy but we all know he’s learning on the job. With an offense like this you don’t take your foot off the gas, you make your opponent wish they never got off the bus.

Time to melt the snowflakes before they can accumulate because we all know damn well if the shoe was on the other foot Shaw would have ran it down our throats.

If Helton was so worried about upsetting someone then put in Fink.
    He just looks silly over there doing that milking motion.

2. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Sep 7, 2019
    LOL. No holding call and we did run it down their throats. Good night, you will feel better about the game in the morning.

3. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 7, 2019

I feel good about it now.

4. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Sep 7, 2019
    Once we saw the "scrubs" in the game, I told my brother I wanted to see us score again just so there would be the chance that Shaw, shaking Helton's hand would say, "What's your deal?"

My point being, I wanted to see USC run up the score just! one! time! during Helton's tenure. While I did not see CH's supposed anger over the late game score that others did, I also wouldn't doubt it. And it seems a little too coincidental that we get this type of win over a hated rival in the first year of a brand new OC not previously connected to the school or head coach, one who seems to have a handle on things such as the "when you got your hated rival on the ground, put your foot on his neck" idea. :)

5. Daygoboy6191

Daygoboy6191 Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Clay needs to realize running the score up is important in college sports. F being nice especially when it's in your conference you want to embarrass these teams. It matters in recruiting and ranking.

6. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    When I see:
    Alabama 62, NMS 10
    Georgia 63, Murray St. 17
    OK 70, SD 14
    OSU 42, Cincy 0

I think, there is no such thing as "running up the score" in CFB anymore. It's taken for granted that a superior opponent will beat an inferior opponent with everything at it's disposal, and be viewed as a quality win.

So when I see USC crush a ranked opponent already in week 2 vs. the # 2, 3, 4, 5 teams crushing unworthy opponents in week two (as they clearly should)...

7. eliminator207

eliminator207 Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    On our last drive, Helton put in the backups so as not to appear we were trying to run up the score. We can't help it if Stepp is a great back who hasn't seen the field so far this season. Fink handed off to him and he just did what he has been coached to do - break tackles and gain yards. If there wasn't a holding call on his last long run, I wonder if Helton would have handed it off to him for the last play rather than taking a knee. I would like to see Stepp get some carries in our next games.

earlandnic likes this.
  8. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Stepp averaged 11 yds a carry...that would have been a lot more without the holding call on Jackson... Stepp will see the field every game the rest of his career if he is healthy.

9. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    What I don't believe is it was Swann that forced the coaching changes. IMHO, it was a group decision by Clancy and CCH to bring in a new DL and DB guy, and even go after GH. CCH knew after the ND game that something similar to Air Raid was needed and could work, and 2nd choice GH was already on the list during the KK recruitment

earlandnic, Trojan Man 30 and GoSC1 like this.
  10. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Helton haters are gonna hate no matter what, we could win the NC and there would be SOME on this board who will say the team won in spite of him.
    Great job to the team including Helton. In my opinion, he is the head coach, if he owns the losses, he owns the victories as well.

11. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 8, 2019
    At the beginning of the half when the game was still in doubt the defense held two times and Stanford
    missed two field goals. This might have been the turning point in the game.
    The defense also played a good game.
    Slovis played a great game.
    Hopefully he can do it over and over again. The running game was good also.
    The OL seemed improved also.

Troianus Acies and uscjrl98 like this.
  12. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 8, 2019
    I am a not a Helton fan as you know but if he wins an NC then kudos to him. A bad coach cannot win an NC at some point along the way to an NC the head coach will make decisions that will cause you to succeed or fail. Slovis was Harrells choice at QB. Heloton chose JT. I think we have the talent to get us to 8-9 wins and a good coach gets us to 10-11 and final four consideration. This is Browne/Darnold all over again. Darnold took us pretty far but the coaching was our biggest obstacle to our goals. I fear this will just happen again. Talented team wins 9 games and is a head coach away from final four. GoSC1 I respect your opinion based on Helton's resume in your honest opinion can he lead us to a final four.

13. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Unfortunately, the “Helton Haters” cannot do what you’re asking...it’s TOO personal for them...remember, most have been pulling for USC to LOSE to get rid of HCCH rather than for the Team to improve, grow, and BECOME the SC Football the rest of us long for...

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

14. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    I agree especially for ranking purposes, a lot of people don't watch the game and just look at the scoreboard. If they see you just winning keeping the score close, they would be like, they had a hard fought close game. If they see your score that it looks like you blew a good team out, that shows more dominance. Helton got to get off this don't want to run up the score on opponents BS!

Troianus Acies likes this.
  15. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Honestly this is one thing that have been watching lately.
    HCCH is supposed to be letting his coordinators, mainly OC run the show, then he shouldn’t be doing much talking.
    He did good from what I saw last night, but I want to see him when the game is tight and it’s that critical 3rd & 6 call late in the 4th.
    Who’s going to call the play?

16. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Pete Carroll & I wanted us to KEEP, KEEP scoring!

Kaptain Karl and uscjrl98 like this.
  17. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Sep 8, 2019
    So, AGAIN, let me get this straight...LAST week this board was angry because HCCH didn’t “Milk the Clock” to end the game quicker, but now the board is UNHAPPY that he may have wanted to “Milk the Clock”...oh, okay...I get it now...

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

18. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 8, 2019
    No actually I think a lot of the board expects us to be ranked top 10 since we have top 4 talent. You appear to be OK with mediocrity and underachieving. Sorry but the rest of the board expects more.

DJ4SC and Troianus Acies like this.
  19. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Imagine what this program could be with a real coach. It’s nit about Helton hate, it’s anout wanting to see the program meet its potential. In reality we should never lose a PAC12 game unless it’s a monumental upset. Yes that is the standard.

DJ4SC, uscjrl98 and OCBeachTrojan like this.
  20. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Did the teams accelerator pedal break near the end of the game?

I certainly agree that we should let 2nd and 3rd string players play and get experience near the end of a game when we are assured a win and well ahead of the opponent...but, I do not believe that means taking your foot off of the accelerator pedal.

If any other team has us on the ropes, they will pound the crap out of us and try to get as many points as possible with no apology for doing so.

earlandnic, DJ4SC and uscjrl98 like this.