Helton over-playing his hand today IMO

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Area51Trojan, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 11, 2019
    “Mama always had a way of explaining things so I could understand them.”- Forrest

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    I don't believe that to be the case. He had the same job title for Max that he did/does for Folt...."special assistant". I can't even find a tie between Nikias and Roberts' law firm. Way too much opportunity for conflict of interest.
    As am I.....regarding Clemson team captains and how they are selected. Hint....it's weekly.
    Gotham, I need at least a few more games before getting there. If it was a process, we would have seen it unfolding over time, not popping up out of nowhere after how we played against Fresno. I mean did Helton tell them before the game, "okay guys, THIS is the one". I remain unconvinced that Helton really knew what he was doing on Saturday. Let's see what happens against BYU.
    And yet his name NEVER comes up when there's an opening. Maybe Div1AA or NAIA or FCS.....but Div 1 teams, TODAY, aren't looking to steal him away.

3. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    AND, once again let's talk about the games that were cited as the reasons to retain him. the Pac-12 game against Furd and the Rose Bowl against Pedo St. They were both by a late field goals [4:22 & :00] and we could easily have lost them after blowing earlier leads. So without those two games he loses one of the 10 win seasons [the other would have been 10-4 after the beat down in the Cotton Bowl, and the return to being the conference champion, and the AD's fig leaf for retaining the head coach goes away, whereas his previous appearance in that game was the reverse of last Saturday's game. But Boermeester did save our bacon in that Rose Bowl,who we summarily dismissed the following year. That's another whole can of worms I have with this program; sunshine pumpers justify it, but I have a real hard time saying we treated some of these players like Bolden and Boermeester right and hurt ourselves in the process for being stupidly sanctimonious without even putting up a fight. That shit pisses me off. It goes all the way back to ego stroking Lame running Baxter off the team.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Trojan12 likes this.
  4. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    If I could be as bold to paraphrase/reiterate the OP, this is not so much about who decides Helton's future, when, conditions he must meet to stay; but has to do with the reoccurring habit of his to bring attention to the wrong things and set the wrong tone. You want to see an attitude of "handle your business, let your record do the talking, don't be a Gomer".

Helton's crutch of wanting to leverage the emotional side of things rather than the methodical, ruthless side that says little but does much, continues to erode confidence that he is the man for the job...that he gets what it takes.

It's a style thing, IMO. How much importance one should place on this style is in the eye of the beholder. He's not a General, he's a Chaplain.

Trojan12 likes this.
  5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Saw Max with other suits at practice, that’s when Clay called him Coach

Trojan12 likes this.
  6. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    You know those aptitude tests where they match you up with a career? I'll bet Clay Helton's top 2 job recommendations would be:

1. Hallmark Card writer/ author
    2. Or Kiss Cam operator at the Staples Center ( because he can spot love)

That constant barrage of soft serve, warm and fuzzy, who squeezed the Charmin crap that comes out of his trap drives me crazy.

***But he is winning and that's all that matters to me.

Trojan12 and User1234 like this.
  7. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    I can see him hosting a woodworking show on one of the deep track cable channels. "Helton's Handcrafts"

Cardinal&Gold and Trojan12 like this.
  8. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Thank you

9. 1988Trojan

1988Trojan Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    This door knob doesn’t understand one thing about championship

Trojan12 likes this.
  10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Max hired BOT lawyer to get his golden parachutes deal, talk about conflict of interest

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Helton is on the Bubble. His fate is in his hands. His overall record will be scrutinized. I personally don’t feel 10 wins will save him. I also don’t feel we will have 10 wins.

One thing we can understand and agree on, There Will Be a New Athletic Director ...soon.

Depending on his or her interpretation of how important College Athletics are to enhancing the Brand, instructions and objectives determined and communicated by the new President, running ALL the Stats on the years Helton has been at the helm, will determine to the greatest degree Helton’s Continued employment.
    I don’t think there will be an abundance of commiseration on his departure, only relief.

Trojan12 likes this.
  12. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Clueless Clay is gone no later than after final game of whatever season new permanent AD arrives.

Trojan12 and 1988Trojan like this.
  13. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    They will have to play a lot more game likes last Saturday before I have any real confidence in Helton. He has overseen so many games where it was clearly we were very poorly coached. I don't think Clay woke up one morning with a vision and realized what it took to be successful. I don't think it's in his DNA.

gothamtrojan likes this.