Helton: "I see us trending upwards"

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by billsb1970, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jan 9, 2021
    He said wait till November and then we went 1-3 in November that season.

He said “I wouldn’t want to play us right now” after the 2019 fucla game. Iowa was very happy to play us in the next game.

nobody is buying his snake oil salesmen BS any more. Except maybe coach Folt.

2. SC Forever

SC Forever Points Member

Jan 9, 2021
    Hey, where is jimbo?

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  3. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Jan 9, 2021
    Kiff/Sark/Orgeron - 46-23 (plus dealing with sanctions/after-effects)
    Helton - 45-23 (not dealing with sanctions/back to full strength)
    That is not trending upward.

1-3 in Bowl games (and bad losses in his last 2)
    That is not trending upward.

His first two seasons, he was 21-6, and made it to two major bowls (never mind the loss to OSU)
    His last three seasons, he has been 18-13, and only made one mid-major bowl (and a terrible loss at that)
    That's not trending upward.

14-18 against teams that finish with winning records.
    5-9 against teams that finish with 10 wins or more.
    1-3 in bowl games, and haven't played in one the past two years (and lest some forget, the ONLY reason we were at the RB to beat Penn St. is because Washington made the playoffs that year...)
    That's not trending upward.

So, unless one wants a coach that fills in his W column against poor teams but can't be relied on to beat good teams, loses the majority of bowl games he actually makes it to, and doesn't develop players to the point that high ranking drafts and overall drafts for the team are way down, well then, I guess this "trending upward" "situational master" of a coach is good enough for you. For the rest of us, the numbers speak plainly as to why he needs to go. Now. Despite 5-1.

4. IETrojanFan

Jan 9, 2021
    4. First losing season since you-know-who...

And regarding your 3, it's a bit disingenuous, since Kiffin went 10-2 in 2011 and won the South, but couldn't play in the CCG, which we would have won (speculation, yes, but based on solid evidence).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    CrownoftheValley and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 9, 2021
    Great post. Also, people forget about just what ugly, aggravating, unwatchable shit-shows so many of Helton's wins are. I can't tell you how many times I've felt like shit after one of of Helton's "wins." Even when he wins it feels like we lost.

If you're a gambler you know all this already. If you want to have a successful year at the betting window just bet against Helton. He RARELY covers the spread as a favorite and when he is an underdog he is even worse. We're talking all time bad numbers. You could have gotten rich betting against Helton these last 6 years. It really tells you all you need to know about just how bad Helton is as a coach.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    KnightsWhoSayNi and Troy70 like this.
  6. IETrojanFan

Jan 9, 2021
    I'm not against ugly wins. I'll take any ugly win over UCLA/ND, doesn't matter. I'll take a season of ugly wins, if it means we go 12-0, because that means there's more going on. :) But yeah, I get your point...

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I just read the LA Times article and it reminded me of a Jim Baker type of sermon. Anything and everything you want to hear, but far from reality in terms of what we all saw on the playing field. Helton seems like he is at a church sermon trying to get buy in from the public, like Baker swindling money from his followers. When asked the tough questions about Drevno and Ausmus, it is like I don’t want to talk about it.
    Ryan Kartje is the beat writer, but Helton must have had his publicist with him when he did the interview. Ryan should have pushed the issue because it obviously sounds like a scripted sermon.
    One side note, a thread on this site was started asking about what happened to Jason Rodriguez. When Helton was talking about the OLine, he mentioned losing AVT, and he began listing all the other Oline players with the exception of Jason. I am truly hoping this was just an oversight.
    Fight On!
    For those that don’t subscribe here is the link to the article:
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2021-01-09/clay-helton-usc-coach-football-future

8. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Sounded like Tim "The Cockroach" Tessalone was whispering in Helton's ear again.

9. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Every year he says the program is trending upwards. USC should be at the top of the college football world with all these years of trending upwards. That dude is totally self unaware. There ought to be a time where any self respecting coach should pull the ripcord and bail out instead of staying on trying to save face. Too much money involved.

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Wearing my old Pete era stuff

jjg4sc and TrojanHorseshoe like this.
  11. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Mr. Soft Serve, please put down the crack pipe. We should never hear the word 'national championships' come out of your mouth.

big_pete likes this.
  12. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Soft Serve and Frozen Custard Clay! I think those are my favorite Helton nicknames.

13. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    This was a good question to ask Helton:

So basically he is never to blame. He will keep making assistant changes. It is also interesting when he doesn't like a question he says "I appreciate you".

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  14. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    He also said a bunch of nothing.

Cyrus likes this.
  15. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Wow one 5 star guy this entire class!!! That otta impress Alabama.

BTW: Georgia signed two 5 star LB's and one 5 star Left Tackle Amarius Mims 6 foot 7 330 lbs. Dudes like Zac Banner with NFL skills.

Trending up? Lol. Clay Helton is starting his 7th season in 2021. Shouldn't he already be here?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  16. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    According to conquest4ever81, Helton IS already there....

17. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Not since Pete Carroll was head coach...
    1. 5-0 start
    2. Rose Bowl victory
    3. Conference title.
    4. AP Poll finish ranked #3
    anigif_sub-buzz-3509-1509250150-1.gif

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  18. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    That sounds almost exactly like that blowhard Charlie Weis in 2007 when he said, "No one will want a piece of us in 2009." The Irish finished 6-6 in 2009.

I understand the need to maintain a positive attitude - I mean, do you honestly expect any coach to say, "Yeah, we really suck. My coaching is subpar and these kids are lazy and undisciplined. We are in for yet another shitty season!"

But the AD has a responsibility to show the door to any underperforming coach, regardless of positivity.

My fear is that Helton's Job Performance Review isn't solely based on W-L record, players drafted, bowl games won. I suspect a lot of it is also based on Embarrassing Incidents Avoided, Controversial Statements Unsaid, and Potential Problem Athletes Dismissed.

In all of the latter categories, he's doing a bang-up job.

19. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 11, 2021
    He's been the USC coach for six years now and had one conference championship and one Rose Bowl win. Pete, in his nine years had five conference championships and four Rose Bowl wins. Do you think that one conference championship in 6 years, is a coaching triumph given the recruiting advantages USC has, Conquest4ever81?