Helton doubling down on Slovis

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by BigGuard, Sep 1, 2019.

1. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Let’s get one thing straight people, we aren’t the only college football team in the country starting a freshman, get him in there and take his lumps.

DaFireMedic and racea911 like this.
  2. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    So basically they will just try to run the ball as much as possible and limit throws. The conservative vanilla offense we saw in the 4th quarter.

Helton is being Helton. Sugar coating BS coming out of his mouth.

Right now the team doesn't have a good QB that can play.

They threw JT to the wolves as a freshman now they are doing the same with Kedon.

3. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    By starting all these true freshman QBs maybe Helton thinks he can use their growing pains as a shield for his own mediocrity. It's a nice built in excuse, no?

uscjrl98 likes this.
  4. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019

5. AnnenbergGrad

Sep 2, 2019
    "I'm not privy to the negotiation or contract specifics but I do know that if Helton became convinced that Harrell's decisions might end up in Clay being fired, Clay is going to call the shots. Nobody turns their livelihood over to someone else."

Helton can override GH if he so chooses. But the reason Kedon came in after the JT injury is Harrell. The reason Jack was 4th on the depth chart is Harrell. The reason KS will start against Stanford is Harrell. Without Harrell, either Jack Sears or Matt Fink is starting next week.

Harrell has been high on Kedon since the Spring. This is the cat he wants to roll with and even had JT not been injured and just performed mildly well by mid season, Kedon would be elevated. That was the plan because the schedule gets softer at that point.

You guys don't have to believe me on this, but it is indeed true.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  6. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Under Helton and Tee, Sears was 3rd string last year who only saw action after Fink was hurt. This year under Helton and Harrell, Sears dropped to 4th behind a true freshman.

Helton is the only common thread. I don't go to practice nor watch film to analyze the QB play, but in the opinion of two OC's and Helton, Sears is clearly not the QB for SC. I always follow former SC QB's once they transfer to see if the coaches botched it. Up to this point from Max Wittek to Max Brown, I have yet to see one flourish, but there is always a first time for everything.

Fight On!
    Beat the Farm!

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Not saying I don't believe you but I also believe that Clay will intercede if he thinks it is to his detriment otherwise. It speaks to his lack of ability that he put all his eggs in Harrells' basket when Harrell is brand new to the program, the conference, the neighborhood so to speak. It's insular thinking and perhaps not realistic.

8. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    In 21 games?? That's 2 whole seasons! Those are great number for the 80's, but not extravagant by today's standards. Go look at the numbers these HS spread offenses are putting up the past 15-20 years.

9. AnnenbergGrad

Sep 2, 2019
    But to be fair, had Helton already overrode Harrell, Helton would have then been criticized for not letting his new OC call the shots, why hire an Air Raid guy if you're not going to use him? etc, etc.

This the deal: Harrell was hired to transform the offense. Helton has deferred to this end. If Slovis shines, primarily give Harrell credit, if not, primarily blame Harrell. Helton is not the primary decision maker on this one right now. Sure, he might step in if Kedon struggles, but Kedon wouldn't be in there in the first place without Harrell.

Helton shouldn't be head coach at USC, but this QB situation lies with the OC and QB coach right now. He shouldn't get a free pass. This is his choice.

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Not the only freshman QB playing , OC should call his game

11. BeatND2019

BeatND2019 Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Sears in high school had 68% completion percentage, 74 passing TD's and only 8 interceptions. Ran for over 2,000 yards and won a State Championship. Sounds impressive to me considering the team he was surrounded with.

71 % completion percentage against ASU. Sounds consistent and productive to me.

Scrimmages he was 85% completion had 4 passing TDs and 0 interceptions.

TrojanDrive likes this.
  12. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    And Slovis made this same comment in a post game interview I believe. This is what he learned in Game One. He needs to make it more like what they practiced during the week.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  13. TrojanHorse

Sep 2, 2019
    would be funny if Oklahoma dispatches Alabama in the first round of the playoffs.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  14. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    So what you are saying is that maybe Slovis was not completely responsible for his team’s poor record? I’ll buy that.

15. TrojanHorse

Sep 2, 2019
    I think I would modify that to something like "individual stats are not everything."

I don't believe it is accurate to say they are irrelevant. They show he has the talent.

uscjrl98 likes this.
  16. 1980trojan

1980trojan Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    OU players are better equipped and coached to play big time football than our players. Plus as bad as their defense is, they have that manchild LB #9 Murray who is a one man wrecking crew. Dude is big, fast, mean, smart and a sure tackler who they turn loose. If we have a player like that, I've yet to see him on the field.

17. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    I think Gaoteote is that guy, just not coached to that point.

18. TrojanHorse

Sep 2, 2019
    He certainly showed signs last year that he would become a true standout. He was strangely quiet Saturday night though. Is that due to a position change or something else?

yah20002 likes this.
  19. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Is this something new?

Helton is the guy who described a complete failure on the offensive line as "the love of his life" when week after week, his mis-snaps killed drives and caused turnovers.

Yes -- Helton is all-in. And he's holding a 2 - 8, off-suit. He's got nothing, but he stubbornly keeps betting.

OC2SC and racea911 like this.
  20. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    They have a ton of speed