Helton doubling down on Slovis

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by BigGuard, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Helton doubling down on Slovis
    BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I like that Helton is all in on Slovis. When asked about him he didn't hedge, didn't qualify his answers, he didnt' say there would be a competition, he simply stated that he is the QB and will be starting.

“The moment has never been too big for the kid,” Helton said. “We look forward to the opportunity. Life is full of challenges and adversity hits every team, and we look forward to this challenge and look forward to a really talented kid playing this Saturday, in Kedon.”

This is good for a couple of reasons. Yes, a young QB needs the full confidence and support of his head coach. More importantly, for Helton there is no longer any excuse to hide behind. You have 100% completely owned this choice and it's outcomes. I'm truly hoping that Slovis is successful and he's the second coming of St. Sam. Either way, I can't wait until next Saturday to see how it all plays out for both Slovis, Helton, and the future of USC football.

Fight On!
    Beat the Farm!

Troy70, in2nation, aimeedee and 4 others like this.

2. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    No guessing on this Friday's QB depth chart but something tells me we're gonna see Matt Fink in the game. Buckle up, this is a real possibility.

Btw, can we run Oklahoma's Air Raid style? Jalen Hurt's debuts with six total TDs and 508 total yards versus Houston....Just damn, what an impressive debut.

Hurts for Heisman?

Wow

DaFireMedic and Troy21511 like this.
  3. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    And, the sooners had to replace 4 of 5 starters on the O-line! Riley has about the same amount of skill guys returning as Helton. Definition of reloading.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Hurts had 16 carries for 176 yards on top of his 300+ yards passing. He’s gotta be the front runner (or close to it) for the Heisman already.

Harrell doesn’t like his QB to run. I would prefer to have a good, dual threat QB who is a threat to run at any time. We saw what a dual threat QB, and not necessarily a great one, did to our defense against Fresno St. It adds another element that is tough to defend. And unless our defense learns how to pursue and tackle, we need to put up a lot of points every week.

I’m not expecting that Slovis will be like Hurts, but I am hoping he is able to take advantage of openings and take off when the opportunity is there. And if he’s just not cutting it, I hope they put Fink in there. He’s definitely a threat to run.

5. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    That’s a $4M bet for Helton!
    Fight On!

BigGuard and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  6. Turkued

Turkued Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Slovis led his high school team to a 3-7 record last year. In Arizona. His head coach was fired.

At least there is that.

ConquerorSC and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  7. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Stanford always has great ballhawk DB's and a pass rush. They love to Blitz on passing downs. This will be a tough challenge for Slovis. You couldn't have pick a worst opponent for a young QB. The football gods can be cruel.

As the Firemedic stated if they try to reel him in it's going to backfire. Stanford will pack the box take away the run and blitz. They have to let him attack. If the guy has the goods like Harrell said. Let's see it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    BigGuard and Troy21511 like this.
  8. Gabriel2Snow

Gabriel2Snow Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    He may as well go full Dick Vermeil crying twenty years ago when Trent Green tore his ACL “We’ll rally around Kedon Slovis, and we’ll play good football.” I am hoping this USC team has half the success of that Rams team.

BigGuard likes this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    A few months ago Fink was in transfer portal. Now he is the backup QB, and he is a bad play or an injury away from going into the game.

Troy21511 likes this.
  10. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    I think the plan all along was to bring Slovis in as the starter by mid-season. Give JT the start for the first 6 games, many of them tough matches against Utah, UW and ND. If JT was 3-3 or below, bring in Slovis then. The plans simply got accelerated. Slovis will have to endure a baptism by fire, and be forgiven for some freshman mistakes he's bound to make. He does have a ton of upside potential. We'll see how this plays out, I'm cautiously optimistic. That a true freshman could beat out Fink and Sears for the #2 slot is impressive.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    I would hope that the coaching staff plan all along was to win football games no
    matter what, but with this staff you never know.

uscvball and AMLTrojan like this.
  12. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Slovis needs to learn to slide. He almost got rocked.

13. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    He also completed 63% of his passes for 5500 yards, 50 TDs and only 11 Ints in 21 games.

TrojanHorse likes this.
  14. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Football is a team sport. Individual stats great in golf and bowling. Unless they translate to wins they are irrelevant in team sports.

PickSicx, TrojanDrive and ConquerorSC like this.
  15. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    True! Fink would have been the safer choice and more prudent choice. He likely could have led us to 7-wins and the team would have shown enough to validate another year of Helton. This move with Slovis is really intriguing. Just for once I wish SC football was back to being boring, and by that I mean being well-coached and competitive in all facets of the game.

16. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Personally...I’m concerned about Slovis’ health. I really believe there’s a better-than 50% chance he gets hurt. If he’s my kid I don’t let him play. Gomer is a dangerous coach with no clue about what he’s doing...and that’ll get people hurt.
    Let’s hope that if it’s true...it’s minor.

uscjrl98 and ConquerorSC like this.
  17. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    This will be payback to what we did to Costello two years ago and dared him to beat us with his arm over the top. We have the receivers to do it

18. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Depth chart is week to week this year, so staff has some wiggle room should Kedon prove to be too green against Stanford.

This is not Helton's choice, IMHO, but GHs and that was the deal when GH took the job. He'd call the shots on the QB.

19. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Is he doubling down on Slovis or just being Helton? Stubbornness has been a hallmark of his. Ask him after a game about what happened and he talk about warriors on the field, doesn't make half-time adjustments as he should, etc. It's more Clay being Clay IMO.
    I'm not privy to the negotiation or contract specifics but I do know that if Helton became convinced that Harrell's decisions might end up in Clay being fired, Clay is going to call the shots. Nobody turns their livelihood over to someone else.

PickSicx and uscjrl98 like this.