Help me understand why Stepp gets so little PT

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by flyfishintrojan, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    They should have given the ball to Stepp on that 4th and 2 against Texas.

holt7153 and AnnenbergGrad like this.
  2. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    We don't pass the ball 70-80% of the time. The commentators were just saying last night we are about 50-50, which didn't seem like a true "air raid." Certainly threw a bit more last night because run game was less effective than in previous games.

Ladera Trojan and Trojanopolis like this.
  3. TXTrojan_itul1

Sep 21, 2019
    Truth is, well in my opinion, we have 3 really good RBs. However, Stepp is not the more explosive back.

They have implied that he is lacking in pass protection and is not the best receiver out of the backfield (not great for any RB outside of wishbone system). Dude is a good runner, runs hard and can produce 5, 10, 15 yd burst for tough yds. But he is not the one to house it neccesarily from anywhere on the field.

I think his touches will increase and in a game like last night, he should have been brought in earlier to see if he could produce something on the ground. Personally, I think Vavae is running hard and he and Carr have looked great, with the exception of last night. However, at the end of the game... when we needed yds and a couple first downs to close out the game... the OL, Vavae and Stepp got it done. Job well done.

4. Marlon Brown

Marlon Brown Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    CH doesn't like to disappoint people...it's why he chose Browne over Darnold....it's why Houston is still a starter ( I roasted Houston on here last week, and he must have seen it because he showed more effort last night than ever). He won't give Stepp the reps because he doesn't want to hurt the feelings of the other backs....it's obvious. Real coaches make hard decisions, knowing that someone will be disappointed. Helton and Pendergast are too pussified to make those tough calls.

5. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Seeing as we run a pass-happy offense, I’m going to assume he either cannot catch out the backfield, cannot pass protect, or may have ball protection problems in practice.

Those are the only three reasons why I would guess.
    Hell Carr hardly got carries like that.
    We need to rotate all three of them in depending on down and distance.
    I was glad to see Stepp come in on 3rd and short, Utah KNOW we are going to run and STILL get the 1st down?
    That made my night..

6. TXTrojan_itul1

Sep 21, 2019
    Everyone has taken the "air raid" as pass happy and generally that is correct. However, as I and a few others pointed out when GH was brought in, he is not the pass 55-60 times a game like Leach or KK is.

GH has a history of running the rock 40-45% of the time. SC's running game has looked a lot better this year thru 3 games. Last night, certainly not, but that is likely the best DL we will face. HOWEVER, I must say, last drives our OL was getting in done and pass protection is much improved this year. But, point is, if we can get yards running the ball, GH will continue to mix up his play calling about 50-50 to keep D off balance... that is his MO.

Troy70 and Ladera Trojan like this.
  7. SPYDER67

SPYDER67 Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    There has been a lot of chatter, that the young man has not mastered the playbook, and pass protection is a vital part of playing RB. It has also been reported, that he is loose with the football frequently. He will probably get more time as the season progresses. I would not worry too much about his playing time. Now from what I have observed, Carr is not performing at all as a Division 1 RB. He doesn't run with a sense of urgency.

8. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    They are easing Stepp into the lineup. He's only a freshman, and they're bringing him in sparingly -- only when they need him to pound through for a couple of yards which he can do better than anyone. But he fumbles too much in practice, and that's something that can be fixed over time. He also doesn't have the pass catching ability of Carr or Vavae, something that's crucial when the QB needs to check down. He will get much better over time, but he's not ready to be an every-down back.

9. Butcher22

Butcher22 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Stepp has good hands and also the speed to take it to the house. Don't know where you guys come up with this stuff.

TroyBoy likes this.
  10. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    LOL. Yeah, I’m sure John Houston read your post and said to himself “ self, you better try harder this week. A guy who you’ve never met, and probably will never meet, is being mean and saying bad things about you on a message board”

Cyrus and The Lizard King like this.
  11. Marlon Brown

Marlon Brown Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Man please go take a nap or something....you're not the cherub of justice on this board....your life that bad that you have to scroll through people's comments just so you can disagree without presenting any argument of your own?

12. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Been high on Stepp since the Spring. But to answer OPs question:

1. Stepp isn't exactly riding the pine. He's received some decent minutes for a true frosh.

2. Stepp is a bit of a tell when he's in there. Since he's still learning pass pro the D knows he will run.

3. He is behind our most dependable all-around back in Vai, and an ankle breaker in Carr.

All this said, STEPP SHOULD BE GETTING MORE CARRIES. Who cares if he's a tell when he's in there. Let the D try to stop it. We are SC.

13. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Yeah .. about that 'chatter ' .. it's often wrong. E.g. - There has been lots of chatter that Fink and Sears weren't in contention for the QB job despite their better wheels because there couldn't throw the ball .. Per normal, it's BS!

14. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Stepping is a red shirt frosh .. Where you been???
    BS on the pass pro .. Carr is the liability there!

15. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    You've seen Stepp block in pass pro on a regular basis? Please tell us what you saw.

16. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    In Spring camp saw Stepp catching balls & not bobbling. He has said working with receivers. At a practice saw him turn on the jets after catching the ball. He said he lost weight to be in new O. He has speed & nobody wanted to tackle him.

17. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    a

Seems like in the Harrell offense backs need to block and need to catch as much as run. I think that Stepp will see more time if he can prove he can do those two things and hold on to the ball.

On the other hand, with the next two games against very tough opponents on the road, Stepp may not get that many chances if the games are close.

18. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Didn't you say last week that John Houston should be banned from campus?

If so, you deserve everything you get on this board IMO.

19. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    My life is great, thank you. Your post really didn’t require much more than a comment.

But I do like my new nickname
    The Cherub of Justice

I am rather angelic now that I think about it.

I wasn’t really being serious, because I didn’t think you were either.

Ride Fly likes this.
  20. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    He clarified he was juuuuuuust kidding