Hearing that Urban Meyer's wife does not want him to coach again

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Scalum76, Sep 4, 2019.

1. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Especially at that salary level.

One other thing about Del Rio, who I like, actually. We have got to stop hiring former SC guys. We are too inbred and we need fresh blood, both at HC and especially at AD. Haden and Swann have been complete unqualified (meaning no job experience) disasters. Of course, they have been unqualified disasters also.

2. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I don't think Lou left in disgrace...just too old.

3. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    The Tings aside, that team was overflowing with NFL talent. They should have NEVER lost to Texas and let VY run all over them like that. USC was a far superior team and PC "coug'd" it. He always had trouble game planning for running QBs. Lest we forget how we always knew there'd be a close game whenever we were playing a team that ran the spread or read-option.

And yes, VY would be average in today's college game. He was horribly inaccurate as a passer and as smart as a box of rocks. There are dozens of VYs in CFB right now who are just as fast, have a better arm, more accurate, and have the intelligence to manage the game. Just MHO.

Merlin4SC likes this.
  4. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Why is this tribal knowledge steam rolling presumption factory making people think it is a settled matter with Urban Meyer? I feel like it's doing battle on a weekly basis to maintain perspective. Wanna review the facts, or is everyone just comfortable with this tribal knowledge? INSERT HERE[] my standard disclaimer about not being in love with Urban Meyer the person and having previously been incensed by what seemed like faking serious health issues to get out of a tight spot. At best the man is a hypochondriac, but then I don't want him to be a permanent solution either. We need a turn around artist and I would expect him to stay no more than 3-4 years before retiring for good. A symbiotic relationship just like the shark and the scavenger fish - if you will.

Who here can name something illegal Urban Meyer did as a head coach at any school? Anyone?

So that leaves us with assumed ethical problems and this one wasn't even a Title IX problem that most people are talking about.

Everyone knows Urban tried to help his assistant coach, Zach Smith with anger management and domestic abuse problems at both Florida and Ohio St. Just as Pete Carroll cannot monitor players' parents' rent payments, neither can a head coach in Div 1 be expected to monitor the tranquility of his coaches domestic lives. So the proper authorities were brought into that situation and it was resolved through the usual restraining orders and divorce. To say that Urban enabled criminal behavior is a stretch when you consider that he assumed counseling and the law would take care of it. Then that leaves us with asking what Urban was supposed to do about it. When he learns a staff member is in fact now a target of a criminal investigation, he places him on leave just like we do with players. Remember Smith denied everything and the police dismissed the case in 2015. AD Gene Smith was brought in by Meyer in 2015 to check out the claims . What else would you like Urban to have done with Mr. Smith after that? If nothing, then are you condemning Urban for not firing Smith earlier? Or was it about how he handled OSU's questions about the allegations of abuse after the fact?

Remember Smith's abused wife showed the pictures to Urban's wife. Is it automatic she shared 100% of the info? Smith was never convicted of abuse, and the 2009 case from Florida was dropped by his wife, and the photos documenting the abuse never showed up during the 2015 police investigations, but did come out when Urban Meyer was implicated in helping cover it up. But that had nothing to do with law enforcement, but the good folks at OSU that wanted Urban Meyer out. So it seemed to me, .... like smoke and mirrors in terms of what the football program was supposed to do about it. I'm pretty sure those are undisputed facts of the issue on Zach Smith. If I'm wrong, do tell and we can compare sources and info.

Are there any other cases of what some consider ethics violations besides the Zach Smith case? Was there a Title IX issue? That would seem to make anyone DoA at USC for any job these days.

If Meyer ever does come here to coach I feel like I should get a percentage of his salary for every time the tribal knowledge got too thick. Maybe if he did, the activists in the Title IX office would be breathing down our necks all the time. Should we be intimidated by and live in fear of those people who have obviously run amok? regarding my calling Urban a hypochondriac, he did have brain surgery to remove a cyst that was causing those headaches, but the cardiac thing at Florida was bizarre. Remember, I just want 3-4 good years from him to put us back on track to NC's.

Maybe to appease the haters, we just hire him for 3 years with only one possible, one time, one year extension with a nice little bonus if he gets us where we want to go. Then he can go back to Fox Sports in retirement as long as we like his DC or whoever the heir apparent becomes. Coliseum is filled, watch lists are filled, the NFL draft is filled, national signing days are filled with 4/5 stars again, Colorado Blvd is filled with USC cheerleaders and the Greatest Marching Band in the History of the Universe again, and the Rose Bowl is filled with Cardinal and Gold again as it should be. I can just smell the Cinnabons as we watch the floats and get our tailgate stuff ready for the Arroyo again. My friends, that is literally the quickest path to get back there again.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  5. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Howard Jones?